Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Printing differences from A4v6 to A5v4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing differences from A4v6 to A5v4

I have a library circulation system created in A4v6. It was created to run in DOS only, which means that it was designed to print from DOS on a wide carriage dot matrix printer we had at the time. I have since upgraded the computer from an IBM PS/1 to a Cyrix 5x86 (equivalent to a Pentium II) w/ 16mb of ram (the hard drive is 8 gig), and installed Windows 95. I have also installed a new printer, a LaserJet 5P. It prints on the LJ5P, but there are some columns of the report missing, and it uses the very small print font that comes with the LJ5P. I am interested in upgrading A4v6 to A5v4, but I want to know what kind of work will be involved in changing the print commands from the program in order to use windows printers. I did not write the program, a computer savy friend/programmer did the programming for it, and I have no idea what is involved in changing the print commands in the DOS version, or even if I have to change them. Can anyone advise me, or will I just have to wing it on my own?

RE: Printing differences from A4v6 to A5v4

Ronald,

I don't know the complete answer to your question, but here's a start.
    When converting from A4V6 to A5V4, the only thing that converts is the raw
    data (.dbf file). All searches, queries, screens, reports, must be re-created.
    All sets and applications must be redone.
    That's the bad part. The good part is that because this is a windows
    program, If there is a windows printer driver for your printer, you just
    make sure that it's properly installed and don't have to mess with it.
    WYSIWYG.

Dan

Comment

Ronald,

If your A4 application works OK except for the printer issue, you can continue to use it in Win95. You didn't make it clear, but are you printing to letter size paper or to legal size? Legal size, of course, would allow for extra columns, but might involve the added expense of a tray for legal paper.

Another alternative might be to redesign your report (to be safe, a copy of your report) using A4's type-setting mode, which may allow a better font selection and enable you to cram your columns together so they print out on the paper size available. If you need help with printer configuration as well as memory configuration to run A4 in Win95, you might try searching the A4 message board.

Ultimately, you probably will want to switch to A5, but as Daniel points out, converting your application will involve some work.

Comment

Ronald,

Did you, in A4, select the driver for your new printer. If not, there is no mystery to your printing problems. You're just using the wrong (old) driver. Probably the LJ5 driver will not appear in the A4 list but merely select the Laser Jet Series II driver and you'll be fine. A4 is not going to be sending out any fancy fonts or formats. My wife has a Series II and I have an HP6 and we sometimes switch so I speak from experience.

Regarding the move to A5, your problem will not be printing because, like all windows programs, A5 prints from windows. So you will set up your printer in windows and that will be that.

However.........., your application really will have to be rewritten for A5. The tables will carry over, but that's about it.

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

If I read your message correctly, your reports are missing columns, presumably because your reports utilized all of the width available on the wide carriage printer you previously used. With the laser printer, even utilizing the smaller font, the paper doesn't have sufficient width to print the right-most columns. Is that a fair description?

It may be possible to continue using A4 and to alter the printer setup to switch the laser printer into landscape mode and maybe alter the number of lines per inch that print so that you would end up with a fairly decent reproduction of what you were getting from your old printer, only on a smaller scale. You'd need to know the printer codes that would do those things for you so you could try it out.

Comment

Working...
          X