Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Found bug, need work-around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found bug, need work-around

Unknowingly, I discovered a bug which Peter Wayne confirmed. It occurs when you have a lookup&fill nested within a lookup&fill operation.

For example, I have an application that applies a formula to calculate a price for finished handmade jewelry. One of the sections allows for the selection of each of the raw materials from a pop-up list. If the item you wish to enter is not on the list, you can celect to enter the new raw material "on-the-fly". This brings up a "raw material" form. On this form, you are asked the name of the vendor of the item. It then brings up a pop-up list of vendors. If the vendor is not on the list, you are sent to an "enter vendor" form. So far, no problem.

However, after entering the new vendor for the new item, no matter what you do (select with mouse, hit enter, type-in ID#) the new vendor ID will NOT be allowed in the new raw material form. You can save the new raw material, but it will not have the vendor information saved with it.

So, now I need to find a way to enter a new raw material "on-the-fly" and potentially a new vendor "on-the-fly" AND have all the data saved.

I tried to place a button on the "price jewelry" form that would bring up the "enter raw material" form, but for some reason it brought up the application's main menu, instead. Peter informed Selwyn of the problem, but no news or suggestions have issued forth, as yet.

So, if anyone has encountered a similar problem (and has solved it), please let me know. All (I repeat, ALL) suggestions will be appreciated.

RE: Found bug, need work-around

David, in my application I don't permit the users to update the lookup tables during data entry. Have found that they often enter multiple names for the same entity, spelled and punctuated differently. Leads to lots of confusion.

Instead, I designed a series of "supporting lists" which they can update between data entry sessions. These use simple forms to maintain the different lookup tables. Validation routines can be added here to improve the integrity of the lists.

During data entry if they discover they need a value from a lookup table that's not there, they have to stop and then update the related list. Sounds clumsy, but actually works quite well especially after they've got most of the supporting lists built.

-- tom

Comment

David why not use the values within the forms. I have found that these lookup forms have been very troublesome in A5V4 and now use xbasic. By using xbasic you can enter the proper information within the tables. I do this often with no problem. I think what is happening is that your lookups cannot resynch on the new data since they have already queried the tables you are now updating. Queries, I believe are static.

1. Use msg boxes to ask the proper questions and then place the ui variables into you tables and forms
      2 Read directly from the forms you are entering data into using Session Variables and then place these values into the proper forms (tables)

Hope this helps Jack

Comment

Tom and Jack, thank you.

Originally, I did not allow edit and new data from the loopups. However, after testing with a few of my clients, I realized that many/most jewelers/artists don't think in linear terms (ducking while awaiting punch thrown from avid A5/jeweler). This leads to much frustration when they attempt to price their work (which is already a point of serious difficulty with many/most of them -- still ducking). If nothing can be done, I will resort to not allowing new records from the loopups.

As for Jack's suggestion, I don't allow for nearly as much info in the pricing screen as I want entered in the raw material screen. So while pumping the data through variables and into the proper tables will work nicely, I'm afraid that it would yield incomplete data.

Thanks, though, for the suggetsions. I will keep working on it and I'll report back if there is a solution from Alpha.

David

Comment

Re: Found bug, need work-around

If nothing can be done, I will resort to not allowing new records from the loopups.
          Has this been addressed? and how can I prevent nested lookups from being edited? I really like lookups, but have realized that theres a problem. I also think it has to do with re-syncing the query.
          Does anyone have any simple solutions?
          I know this thread is old and concerns an issue in V4 so here we are at V12 has this been fixed? Am I doing something wrong?
          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Just to clarify (or mystify, lol)
            I have a lookup, when you call it you can select an item in the grid which is great but if there is a lookup on that item - now we have a problem. You cannot edit a secondary grid entry that has a look up with out a fail, and from there the original look up succeeds with an insert from the nested lookup.

I dunno, if you could just disable editing a nested grid that might be a workaround but....it would be nice to see just a straight forward heres your grid - make an edit and the changes reflect.

I have tried turning off caching the grid in all respects - which has no effect as well as tried different browsers.
            NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Charles, you probably should re-post in the forum corresponding to the version of Alpha Five you are using. Nested grids in AA probably have nothing to do with lookups in A5v4.

In my own work, I avoid nesting lookups. For me a lookup source is simply a supporting table. If the supporting table needs its own supporting table there's usually something wrong with my design because I'm storing data redundantly; a practice I try hard to avoid.

Comment

Working...
              X