Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sharing Tables in Two Databases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Tables in Two Databases

I have a database that contains all of the tables I use. I have created a second database for customers to access through Dial-up-networking. The second database uses some of the same tables used in the "master" database. In testing, I have found no apparent problems with both databases running at the same time. However, I see nothing in the manual about it and want to be sure there are no "hidden dangers". I would appreciate any insight that anyone who has done this has.

RE: Sharing Tables in Two Databases

We use this arrangement extensively with no problems.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Ditto here. No ill effects as of yet.

Tom

Comment

Dear Stan & Tom,

Thanks for the response. I'm surprised (unless I missed it) that there isn't some discussion in the "manuals" about creating more than one database and sharing tables. The use of 'shadowing' greatly increases speed, especially accross a dial-up-network connection, but shadowing tables that are not pertinent to the particular end-user not only takes longer but has inherent security concerns. My concern with it was whether the two databases were coordinating table and index access w/o corrupting the data and properly refreshing it. Based on your response it appears to be 'safe'. Again, thanks for your input.

Comment

John, I'm interested to know if you are keeping both databases, and all their tables (including the shared tables) in the same folder on your hard disk? I'm considering doing something similar and haven't ever attempted it before.

-- tom

Comment

John/Stan/Tom,

If I understand correctly, you have a tables on your PC that you're allowing people on the outside to access via dial up networking?

Are you providing them with a runtime form or something that would allow them a user interface to see the data?

If so, are you programming the form in such a way that they're only allowed to see certain records, such as they can only see their orders in your system?

This sounds great, and exciting. I'm interested in hearing more about what you're doing. If possible, can you provide a little background on what you setup?

Thanks,
            Mike
            Thank you,
            Mike Konoff

Comment

Tom,

For wht it's worth...

We have ours set up with one "master database" in it's own directory. Related databases, which generally contain new tables and links to one or more of the "master" tables, are put in subdirectories of the original.

Alpha's "responsiveness" slows noticeably as the number of tables in a directory increases, once you get to a certain point. Don't forget that for every table you add, Alpha creates four files, the .dbf, .ddd, .ddm, and .ddx.

I don't believe the slowdown is a problem with Alpha. I believe it is related to Windows file system reading the names of the files in the directory every time it has to locate a particular file.

FYI our master directory now contains 1846 files.
              There can be only one.

Comment

The DB's don't have to be in the same folder/drive. Been doing it for some time.

Comment

Dear Mike,

I provide the customer a runtime version of A5. The "user" sets up a network connection via Dial-up-networking. Our database is on Win NT 4.0. We use Remote Access Server. I believe that RAS is available for Win 95 via the Plus package but don't know about Win 98. The client just uses the built-in DUN of Win 95/98/NT. We have seperate tables for each customer and allow them to open it in read only mode. With a modem, A5 runs slow. The use of network optimize (shadowing) is helpful.
                  The reason for my original post is in fact data security. I don't want a customer to have access to other customer data (or our internal tables) with which application level security is not possible (a person with a full copy of A5 could create a database and copy the shadow tables and thus open them by-passing security. For that reason, I have created a seperate database for each customer containing only their related tables while our office 'master' database contains all of the tables. My only concern was whether there was any data integrity issues.
                  I would suggest getting a book on Win NT and read about RAS as there are alot of set up issues (such as dial-back connections) which would take too long for me to explain.

Comment

Dear Tom,

I do keep all tables and databases in the same folder/directory. Windows does, however, have some limitations as to the number of files in a root directory. If you have seperate folders for tables within a database you may need to use explicit path statements in scripts since Alpha will look in the current directory for a file.

Comment

Working...
                    X