Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: new boy

This is true - and without a Mr, life would be very sad. Okay, I'll be the MS, but I won't assume all the women's libber stuff associated with MS - only some of it. I believe in equality in all that is fair...I do have to say, though that men and women typically both have their skills honed in different areas, in general. Likewise, the antithesis with "unhoned" skills. So, I'll be the MS - without all the titles' connotations.

(I hope I got that all grammatically correct!)
    TTFN!
    MS Wanda

Comment

So, um, like, uh, what does all of this have to do with Alpha5? Huh?

You're in violation of the rules of common courtesy and etiquette. I'm going to tell on you.

This discussion is totally uncalled for. I'm glad I'm not one of the participants.

Oops, I just lost my tongue in my cheek. Ouch!

Tom

Comment

Actually, Tom, this is a side-bar conversation that relates to the "Where are we all from" post, which took 105+ hits. Some of the messaging that bounced back and forth related to setting up an Alpha Users Conference. Stan mentioned that there'd have to be a Mr. Alpha. I mentioned that no, we should have a Ms Alpha. My references to grammar relate also to the 105+ string of messages, again, spurred on by the original question containing the gramatical error of ending a statement (question) with a preposition (thus the dangling participle side-bar comments).

Now - not to get picky, or anything...but was your question related to Alpha5? No. So there. I promised that I would behave professionally for the rest of the day, so now that I've renigged, I must again apologize.

I know you really didn't want an answer - but really, you're right - we must play within our own realms.
        Bye!

Comment

Heh, good comebacks :)

Anyway, everyone have a happy Alpha5 holiday!

Tom

Comment

Wanda what the heck is the antithesis?

What the heck is the antithesis?

Comment

Don,

Hope this is detailed enought for you.

Bill

ps. Skill testing question for stan. Where does this come from (I mean, from where does this come.).

The missing bits are a Greek font which the browser apparently will not accept.

antithesis (__________). Pl. antitheses.
              [a. L. antithesis, a. Gr. 2________ opposition, n. of action f. 2__________, f. 2___ against + _______ (stem ___) to place; already in Gr. a term of Logic and Rhetoric.]
              1. Rhet. An opposition or contrast of ideas, expressed by using as the corresponding members of two contiguous sentences or clauses, words which are the opposites of, or strongly contrasted with, each other; as �he must increase, but I must decrease,� �in newness of spirit, not in the oldness of the letter.�
              1529 Frith (title) Antithesis; wherein are compared togeder Christes actes and oure holye Father the Popes.
              1674 Govt. Tongue iii. �17. 115 These are miserable antithesis�s.
              1728 Pope Dunc. i. 254 All arm�d with points, antitheses and puns.
              1748 J. Mason Elocution 29 In an Antithesis, one contrary must be pronounced louder than the other.
              1872 W. Minto Eng. Lit. Introd. 9 When the balanced clauses stand in antithesis, it lends emphasis to the opposition.
              2. The second of two such opposed clauses or sentences; a proposition opposed to a thesis; a counter-thesis or -proposition.
              1533 Frith Answ. More F ij, As the contrarye antithesis doth euidently expresse.
              1677 Gale Crt. Gentiles III. Pref., Impossible..to discusse such an hypothesis without some opposition against such as defend the antithesis.
              1678 Owen Mind of God iii. 91 Given to disputing, or the maintaining of Antitheseses, or oppositions unto the Truth
              1833 Coleridge Table T. 264 The style of Junius is a sort of metre, the law of which is a balance of thesis and antithesis.
              3. By extension: Direct or striking opposition of character or functions (between two things); contrast. Const. of, between (with obs.).
              1631 Preston Effec. Faith 40 That Antithesis, that opposition that is made in that withdrawing of a mans selfe from God.
              1850 Kingsley Alt. Locke xxxviii. (1879) 410 The antithesis of natural and revealed religion.
              1872 Darwin Emotions i. 5 Movements, so clearly expressive of affections..being in complete opposition or antithesis to the attitude and movements which are expressive of anger.
              4. The direct opposite, the contrast. Const. of, to.
              1831 Macaulay Moore�s Byron, Ess. I. 161 The reverse of a great dramatist, the very antithesis to a great dramatist.
              1857 H. Reed Lect. Brit. Poets vii. 244 Rhyme is sometimes taken as the antithesis of reason.
              1879 Farrar Paul II. 327 Is not the Pharisaic spirit..the antithesis of the Christian?
              � 5. (See quot.) Obs.
              1591 Percivall Sp. Dict. B ij a, Antithesis, or Antist�chon: where if l follows immediately after r..they change r into l, to make the sound the pleasanter, as for Dexarle, dexalle.
              1657 J. Smith Myst. Rhet. 172 Antithesis is sometimes a figure, whereby one letter is put for another; and then it is the same with Antistoichon.
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

He said' "Simply Put", Enough already got the message. You must have attended a Jesuit Collee. Don

Comment

As Slick Willie might say, that depends on what "this" is and how you define the word "from".

If "this" refers to the latter part of your post, then it comes "from" a dictionary definition via cut and paste. Considering the length and completeness of the entry, I would suppose the "Oxford English Dictionary". It is similar to, though longer than, the 1913 Webster's entry at uchigago.edu.

Have a good weekend.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

You get the palm; this is, indeed, the entry from the OED which I have on cd rom. It cost an arm and a leg but is worth every penny as I use and delight in it daily. Its ease of use far surpasses that of the print version which I have had and cherished for many years.

Happy 4th.

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

The OED was the only web dictionary which required a password to access, which I did not possess, and by reputation the OED is the most complete.

Elementary, my dear William.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Good morning everyone :)
                        I've been away for a few days and missed all this fun. And now that I'm back, I'm just itching to get my hands on the OED...no way I could afford it, so if I start working on my employer now, maybe the department will get one in a few years:(

I refuse to ramble today...just wanted to respond to Tom re anthesis...the anthesis was, in fact, simply put in my post that spured this chain of posts...men and women having certain "honed" skills, and likewise the opposite (i.e. anthesis) of having, in general, "unhoned" skills".

Bye

Comment

Wanda et al what is an OED? Ithank you for your explanation. Don

Comment

The Oxford Expanded Dictionary :)

Comment

I never herd of it.

Comment

It's a huge, 36" wide set (according to Amazon.com) which includes 11 or so volumns of the entire English language. Your local library probably has a set...personally, my two volumn dictionary set has served me quite well, but if I conducted extensive research, I'd have to invest in the OED - which, by the way is the Oxford ENGLISH Dictionary - not the Oxford Expanded Dictionary as I and others previously stated.

TTFN!
                                Wanda

Comment

Working...
                                X