Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Posting � Undo on Delete via Set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting � Undo on Delete via Set?

If I am correct, its seems to me that undo on delete for a posting filed rule dose not undo if the child record is deleted by the parent record. For example in a invoice set, if the items quantity field rule is set to post (and undo on delete) the in stock quantity in the product table, if the item record is deleted on its own it will put the quantity back in to stock, but if the entire invoice is deleted, the in stock quantity is not changed.

This is something I haven�t noticed up till now, manly because on must of my applications I don�t allow the users to delete an invoice, I rather put a cancel button which clears the invoice and restocks the items via a script. (The user can then reuse the blank invoices # for a new order, and there are no missing invoices numbers).
    It only came to my attention now when in a receivables set, the parent is the payment # and amount, the child is the payments breakdown per invoice which posts to the paid amount field for the invoice, if the entire payment is deleted the un posting doesn�t work,
    Is this a bug or that�s the way it should be?
    Thanks
    Dan
    Daniel Weiss
    EZ Link Software

RE: Posting � Undo on Delete via Set?

Daniel,

If I understand you correctly, you are deleting the parent, which would make the child "disappear", but it does not undo the posting. This is correct, as deleting the parent does not delete the child unless you have referential integrity selected up in the set. You have only orphaned the child record(s).

Your delete needs to delete the child records first, then delete the parent. This can be done manually or via a script. I am not a big fan of using referential integrity, but in this case, it may need to be used to elegantly delete the child records.

Hope this helps.

Jay Talbott
    Jay Talbott
    Lexington, KY

Comment

Thanks Jay
      Yes, you are correct but I do use referential integrity and even so, it doesn't undo on delete.
      Look at the sample invoicing set shipped with alpha, which uses referential integrity. Deleting an invoice wont effect the stock.
      Dan
      Daniel Weiss
      EZ Link Software

Comment

There has been some discussion of the interaction between referential integrity and posting rules so you might want to run a search.

One key to understanding what's going on is to investigate the connection between methods and field level events. By chance I had to look into this last weekend.

I had some on_delete code for a child table that I didn't want to execute while deleting the parent record. It was only needed when deleting a child record separately. I was not using referential integrity but was using the range_delete method on the child table.

I needn't have worried. The manual describes range_delete as a high-level method and, sure enough, the trace window showed that the child table's on_delete event does *not* occur when this method is used. This was perfect for my purposes.

Of course, Daniel wants the opposite result. So he could adopt "lower-level" methods which *do* trigger the posting rule.

Since the child table is part of a set he can use table_current(2) to get a pointer to it and fetch through the current range deleting the records one at a time. This would probably trigger the posting rule.

The trace window will show you what's going on.

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Thanks Bill

You are perfectly right, Deleting a record via a script to my knowledge doesn�t trigger any field rules, which I could understand, if your capable to write a script you can add the lines necessary to restock or whatever your aiming for. In fact as I mentioned before I always do it with my invoicing set�s. I have two scripts one for returns of good merchandise and one for damaged good. If the user wants to clear an invoice for any reason, they can use the restock option. I actually wrote a similar script now for the receivables set I mentioned before.
          I�m just bringing this to the attention to Alpha, after all if a end user that purchase Alpha without having any knowledge in scripting and would like to use the sample invoice shipped with alpha (with just some minor changes) would run in to problem not knowing why his stock is not acquired.

Do I have a point or am I just picking?

below are the two scripts i use

1)Script for Returns of good merchandise;

password = ui_get_password("Password","Enter the password","","*")
          check = lookup("logs.dbf","log = '" + var->password + "'","class")
          if check orno"
          items.query_create()

items.fetch_first()
          while .not. items.fetch_eof()
          itm = items.item_code
          qty = items.shipped

prod.fetch_first()
          while .not. prod.fetch_eof()
          pitn = prod.item_code
          pqty = prod.Quantity_In_Stock
          if pitn = itm
          goto found
          end if
          prod.fetch_next()
          end while
          found:
          prod.change_begin()
          prod.Quantity_In_Stock = pqty + qty
          prod.change_end(.t.)

items.fetch_next()
          end while

items.delete_range()

query.description="for return"
          query.order=""
          query.options="N"
          query.filter = "invoice_no = var->orno"
          idx = items.query_create()
          idx.drop()
          items.close()
          prod.close()

Adv_Ref.value = ""
          Deposit.value = 0
          Ordered_by.value = ""
          paidsp.value = 0
          po_no.value = ""
          sales_rep.value = ""
          Ship_Address_1.value = ""
          Ship_Address_2.value = ""
          Ship_City.value = ""
          Ship_Country.value = ""
          Ship_State.value = ""
          Ship_Tp.value = ""
          Ship_Via.value = ""
          Ship_Zip.value = ""
          Shipping_Cost.value = 0
          SALES_TAX_PERCENT.value = 0
          PAYMENT_AMOUNT.value = 0
          ADJUSTMENT.value = 0
          posted_to_customer.value = 0

parentform.commit()
          topparent.resynch()
          Browse1.Refresh()
          done:
          end

2)Script for dammeged goods;

password = ui_get_password("Password","Enter the password","","*")
          check = lookup("logs.dbf","log = '" + var->password + "'","class")
          if check 0
          code=UI_OK+UI_STOP_SYMBOL
          note = "CHANGES CANNOT BE MADE TO THE CUSTOMER ID FIELD FOR "
          note = "AN INVOICE TAHT WAS PARTIALLY OR FULLY PAID OR IF COMMISSION WAS PAID "
          note = note + "TO SALESPERSON - REMOVE PAYMENTS and/or COMMISSIONS FIRST."
          ui_msg_box("Stop",note, code)
          cancel()
          end
          end if
          code = UI_YES_NO+UI_QUESTION_SYMBOL+UI_SECOND_BUTTON_DEFAULT
          note = "This option CLEARS the entire Invoice, and the ITEMS ARE NOT RESTOCKED. "
          note = note + " Use this for Returned Orders with damaged merchandise. "
          note = note +" CONTINUE?"
          response = ui_msg_box("EZ Link",note, code)
          if response = UI_YES_SELECTED
          goto doit
          end if
          goto done
          doit:
          orno = INVOICE_NO.value
          dim items as p
          dim prod as p
          dim query.order as c
          dim query.description as c
          dim query.options as c
          dim query.filter as c

items = table.open(a_db_current_path+"invoice items.dbf")
          query.description="for return"
          query.order=""
          query.options="N"
          query.filter = "invoice_no = var->orno"
          items.query_create()

items.delete_range()
          idx = items.query_create()
          idx.drop()
          items.close()

Adv_Ref.value = ""
          Deposit.value = 0
          Ordered_by.value = ""
          paidsp.value = 0
          po_no.value = ""
          sales_rep.value = ""
          Ship_Address_1.value = ""
          Ship_Address_2.value = ""
          Ship_City.value = ""
          Ship_Country.value = ""
          Ship_State.value = ""
          Ship_Tp.value = ""
          Ship_Via.value = ""
          Ship_Zip.value = ""
          Shipping_Cost.value = 0
          SALES_TAX_PERCENT.value = 0
          PAYMENT_AMOUNT.value = 0
          ADJUSTMENT.value = 0
          posted_to_customer.value = 0

parentform.commit()
          topparent.resynch()
          Browse1.Refresh()
          done:
          end

Thanks
          Dan
          Daniel Weiss
          EZ Link Software

Comment

Dan,

That's interesting code.

You are probably aware of Dr. Wayne's article "Program your own Posting Rules". In it he states that in V4 (as opposed to V3) tables opened with form-level methods will activate posting code. It seems also to say that posting will not cascade. (V5 had not yet been released when the article appeared.)

I conclude the following:
            -if you delete a parent record in a set using table_current(1) any posting rule defined for the child table won't execute; but,
            -if you address the child table as table_current(2)and delete a record the rule will execute. It would be nice to know whether this is the case and for which methods.

Bill
            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Thanks again Bill
              But first of all I don�t understand what you mean by �(V5 had not yet been released when the article appeared.)� is it out now?
              And also I tried this script using current(2) as the table pointer, it still did not restock the deleted quantity, you can try it maybe I�m doing something wrong?
              tbl = table.current(2)
              query.description="unpost"
              query.order=""
              query.options="N"
              query.filter = "invoice_no = '" + invoice_no.text + "'"
              tbl.query_create()
              tbl.delete_range()

But anyway that�s not my point, finding the rite script to do the job is not what I�m talking about. I just think if a parent record is deleted (without using any scripts) field rules of the child records should apply, if referential integrity is used. If I�m wrong ill accept.
              Dan
              Daniel Weiss
              EZ Link Software

Comment

Hi Dan,

"V5 had not yet been released " That was a typo; I should have written V4.

I take your point that you are not looking for the right method as you can already do what you want to do; the issue is the program's default behavior.

I frankly have no idea why they have gone the way they have on this point. They undoubtedly have their reasons but I don't know what they are.

And we both know that the script is not the point but if you open table_current(2) the set already has a query on it so you don't have to run another one (if I correctly interpret your code). And delete_range won't trigger the posting rule but another method would.

Bill
                Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Thanks Bill

I have to thank you for what you have just learned me now, I never paid attention to the fact that by using the open method of table current (2) the set already has a query on it. I simply never tried it without a using a query,

Thanks for the information, you always learn something new.
                  Dan
                  Daniel Weiss
                  EZ Link Software

Comment

You are correct. If a child record is deleted indirectly (i.e. by deleting a parent, and then cascading the delete to the child), the child's posting rules are not triggered.

If you want to have the child posting rules in place, you should turn off cascade delete in the set design, and then write a script that deletes each of the child records individually.

Comment

Re: Posting � Undo on Delete via Set?

I bumped this old thread because it was the only one I could find where Selwyn himself gives the answer I was looking for. I want to use a button to delete the records that appear in the browse on a form based on a set. If the user manually deletes the records the post field rule works correctly - but not with this script: (Am I not following his suggestion correctly?)
                      Code:
                      'Delete all applied payments displayed in the browse
                      DIM tbl as P
                      DIM commit_flag as L
                      DIM n as N = 0
                      DIM i as N = 0
                      IF parent.mode_get() <> "VIEW" THEN
                      	parent.commit()
                      END IF
                      tbl = table.get("inv_pmt")
                      n = browse1.records_get()
                      IF n = 0 THEN
                      	END'
                      END IF
                      tbl.fetch_first()
                      i = i+1
                      while i <= n
                      	commit_flag = .t. 
                      	tbl.change_begin([COLOR="Red"]HONOR_FIELD_RULES[/COLOR])
                      		on error goto ERRMSG
                      		[COLOR="red"]tbl.delete()[/COLOR]	[COLOR="Navy"]'DOES NOT UNPOST ON DELETE[/COLOR]
                      		i=i+1
                      	tbl.change_end(commit_flag)	
                      end while
                      if commit_flag = .f. then
                      	ui_msg_box("Clear Payments - Error","Please delete payments manually",48)
                      	end
                      end if
                      browse1.refresh()
                      browse2.resynch()
                      tabbed1.tab_set(2)
                      END'
                      ERRMSG: 
                      commit_flag=.f.
                      script_play("ERRMSG")
                      on error goto 0
                      RESUME NEXT
                      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I think the honor_field_rules parameter is intended to be passed to the change method as a logical...

so it would be

tbl.change_begin(.t.)

Let us know if that causes the post field rule "undo on delete" to work. I will be pleased if it does, but not surprised if it doesn't. I recall having to adjust the related table field values in my scripts when doing this sort of delete, but maybe Alpha is handling it for us now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                          I think the honor_field_rules parameter is intended to be passed to the change method as a logical...

so it would be

tbl.change_begin(.t.)

Let us know if that causes the post field rule "undo on delete" to work. I will be pleased if it does, but not surprised if it doesn't. I recall having to adjust the related table field values in my scripts when doing this sort of delete, but maybe Alpha is handling it for us now.
                          I believe the honor_field_rules is a "system" variable of some sort. Perhaps it might be termed a system constant.

Interactive yields

Code:
                          ? honor_field_rules
                          = .T.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Tom & Stan but that didn't work either. I tried scripting the unpost routine myself, but since INVO_HDR is a child of INV_PMT, I had trouble getting a pointer to INVO_HDR. Wouldn't fetching the 1:N records displayed in the browse (INV_PMT) automatically point to the 1:1 link for INVO_HDR? I haven't tried form methods yet because I am unsure of the syntax to change the field values and how to fetch the records.
                            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                              but since INVO_HDR is a child of INV_PMT, I had trouble getting a pointer to INVO_HDR.
                              In a two table set, the parent is

table.current(1)

the child is

table.current(2)
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X