Alpha Video Training

Thread: back-up

Sharon Stewart

Default back-up

I am using a cd burner to create a back-up for the alpha database I have. My question is...Is there a program that will allow me to automatically back-up my files to the cd at a scheduled time each day/week?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you-
    Sharon

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: back-up

Sharon,

Check out Dr. Wayne's site, learnalpha.com. There is an article there about backing up. I don't know if it addresses timed backups. If not, perhaps some of the more astute folks could ad a bit of code to do this.

Hope this is of some direction for you.

kenn

Jim Rowlen

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to use Win98's Task Scheduler. I know that you can run a lot of programs at a predefined frequency (days & times), but don't know if you can write a little batch program to run WinZip with the correct path (etc) and have Task SCheduler run the batch. Haven't done batch files since DOS. Maybe looking at WinZip help will give you some ideas?

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

Sharon,

I use a tape backup. I rotate 3 tapes and have software called Backup Exec automatically set to do a full backup each night. Included within the backup are even some informattion on network drives.

Works great!!!

I'm not criticizing your way...just letting you know that this works well for me.

Thanks,
    Mike

Sharon Stewart

Thank you all. I will try these and find out which works best for our company and use it. I greatly appreciate the suggestions!!!

Sharon

John Walsh

Dear Sharon,

I would suggest that you check out www.fileback-pc.com/. They have backup software that we have been using for a couple of years. It supports Win 95/98/NT4.0. It can also back up accross a network. It is easy to use and best of "cheap". You can download and use it without cost. If you like it, then it cost about $20.00 (which includes unlimited updates within the major version). We have found it to be very reliable and use it to back up our network (incl A5) throughout the day. BTW, I don't have any connection to the company - just sharing my experience.