Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

refresh does not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refresh does not???

refresh shadow does not ??

i thought i knew all about peer to peer networking
    but this has me stumped

the refresh shadow does'nt

the working server has c:a5v4myapp

the workstation has c:a5v4shadowmyapp

the workstation was created as per network optimazition instructions

on workstation i opened a5v4, when box comes to select database,
    i selected d:a5v4myapp (d is mapped to c: on server)
    then select file, optimize
    this works

next just for testing purposes i'll close a5v4, reopen to c:a5v4shadowmyapp
    and it works, then go to file/select refresh, this will work,

i'v rebooted both machines. and refresh still works

over night i shut down both computers,
    today, i start both computers, network is connected, i start a5
    on workstation, all ok,
    try refresh and nothing happens, then try running my app and get

message can't locate c:a5v4myapp

myapp is c:a5v4shadowmyapp !

what am i doing wrong??
    one of my goals this weekend was to solve this conundrum

i thought it had to the mapping, but that did not change

is there an editable file i can work with in this

i would really appreciate any input on this setup

if anything needs clarification please let me know

very frustrated w/refresh

thank you all for your contibutions

RE: refresh does not???

John, you said:

today, i start both computers, network is connected, i start a5
    on workstation, all ok, try refresh and nothing happens, then try running my app and get message can't locate c:a5v4myapp

I'm afraid you need to offer more details.

Are you trying to refresh off the file menu, or are you trying to do in Xbasic?

If it's in Xbasic, do you have the path to the server hard coded into your script?

-- tom

Comment

hi, tom

thanks for your response

yes i'm doing the refresh from the file menu
      have'nt gotten to the the point of doing from xbasic

it's all being done manually
      when i start it from the workstation i'm using
      the box that ask's for the db to open

it has the right path when i start it i.e. c:a5v4shadowmyapp
      and starts to run, i then go to the file menu and refresh and nothing will
      happen. althought somthing is going on cause i can hear hard drive for
      a few moments, the i try starting the app from the file menu
      and get that message.

after i optimize again all is okay, when i run optimize (or refresh when it works
      a lot of transferring is going (the status bar indicates all)

hope this explains enough, if not let me know

like i said i'v done enough peer to peers to fill whatever, but i
      have never encountered this or been able to figure out

most other apps have an ini file to change the paths when installs
      don't go righth, so i'm stumped

i have even done clean installs of the workstation and server

thanks again, hope i left some clues to the solution

Comment

John, it almost sounds as though when you start the shadowed copy on the local workstation that your workstation cannot "see" the server. Are you certain that the network connection was present when you attempted the refresh?

-- tom

Comment

absolutely
          i'm connected
          if i go to explorer or network neighorhood i see the server

also when i close down both and start up windows log on
          shows i'm okay or i would get the can't find server message

if i reboot both, all is okay,i can refresh

i did the problem again and it definatly happens when i shut down

even when i restart after both are shut down i can
          use a5 with no problem, it's only the refresh that causes the problem

i can use a5 and the apps after shut down, network is connected

i still think theirs a command somwhere in the adb possible that has not
          set itself to the right path

it comes back any tells me can't find c:a5v4myapp , when i don't
          have that on the workstation, by that i mean i dont' have a folder
          c:a5v4myapp , i have a folder c:a5v4shadowmyapp
          but c:a5v4myapp is on the server

something is wrong in a pointer somewhere

thanks for your help, keep it up, i know it's a puzzle

Comment

let me add onother thought

in the old dos days i would set up networks. and the servers
            d drive as the shared drive

the ws would only have a c parition, and the pointer would be from the
            ws c drive to the servers d drive , never had a problem even in windows
            i would still set it up as c drive local, shared server drive d

for some reason i thought i could set up ws c and server as shared c

maybe that's the problem

does every one still follow that protocol and i should not have set
            up the server on c drive as shared but as onther drive (like in novell
            f drive) this requires set up various logical drives on the server

am i on the right track??

please help

thanks

Comment

yup i believe that's the ticket

i moved the whole thing to server d drive shared

optimized from ws c drive

shut down both computers

re started and from the ws kicked in a5

ran refresh and it refreshed

can you multi-users out there confirm that the appropriate
              shared drive on the server is never c but some other drive letter
              not on the local computer,
              just looking for affirmation at this point

i goofed in setting it up as server c shared

thanks tom for making me think the extra step
              as usual i boxed myself in a thought process
              and with alittle proding went in different direction to get the
              right answer

Comment

I've never seen a server drive referred to as c: but we're not using peer-to-peer.
                There can be only one.

Comment

John, I confess I know enough about networks to be dangerous. i.e. not very much!

Here's how I setup an Alpha Five database on my network:

Server:
                  I create a shared folder on the C: drive of the server and store my database there. (C:Mydatabase for example) This folder must be visible to the local workstation over my network.

Workstation:
                  I "map" a local drive letter to the database folder on the server. I don't map to the server's C: drive. I map to the Mydatabase folder on the Server's C: drive. It's given its own drive letter on the local machine.

Alpha Five
                  I install A5 on the workstation, not on the server.

I start A5 locally, and then "open" the database on the server.

I then go to the A5 control panel and "network optimize" back to the local workstation. I accept all defaults for local folder names...

I close Alpha Five.

I restart Alpha Five, and open the local "shadowed" copy of the database. If it doesn't work, I start investigating... Usually it starts right up without difficulty.

Shortcut on Desktop
                  Once I've verified that the local shadowed copy of the database will work, I use Windows Explorer to open the shadowed database folder. I create a shortcut to the shadowed database and drag it to the desktop. This is used ever after to start the database.

I'm sorry if all of this is obvious to everyone.

-- tom

Comment

okay i'm confused

thanks tom for your detailed install proc

you don't install a5 on the server
                    does that mean a user can not use a5 on the server???

i'd like to take one step at time

this is a dedicated server--no user's

this is going to blow me away

please continue with your patience

Comment

i forgot

the moving to the d drive on a peer to peer network
                      did not resolve the problem after all

maybe your on the right track with your explanation
                      and look forward to your response

thanks for staying with me on this

Comment

john carrio wrote:
                        -------------------------------
                        you don't install a5 on the server, does that mean a user can not use a5 on the server???

Yes. Exactly. In my case I'm using the runtime engine, and install it on each workstation... but never on the server. (I use the term server loosely. Often it's just a specific workstation on a peer to peer LAN, in which case I select one which doesn't get used much).

Alpha Five is loaded *from the local workstation*, it then runs whatever database is opened. If I pick the original database which was previously installed on the server, performance suffers, but it runs. Performance is enhanced by network optimizing the database, and then running alpha Five against the local shadowed copies of the database, instead of opening the actual database tables, forms, layouts, dictionaries and so on on the server.

Other network ready multi-user applications run *from the server*. Each workstation with permission logs on to the server and runs the application there. This is *not* how I do it with Alpha Five. If I were to attempt such a thing, network optimization wouldn't help me much cause my local workstation would have to crank up Alpha Five on the server, then browse to and "open" the shadowed tables on the workstation, which in turn would browse to and "open" the real tables on the server. If this what you're doing I'm not surprised you begin to see pathing issues crop up.

John, don't misunderstand me. It's *possible* to install Alpha Five on the server and then use it locally (with server's keyboard and mouse) to do development work or even data. (Others have commented here on this being a poor setup, since conflicts can occur with the rest of the folks using the database out there on the network, especially during development... but it is possible) However, I would not recommend using that copy of Alpha Five from a remote work station over the LAN.

I hope this helps, cause I can't break it down any further...

-- tom

Comment

have been using peer to peer networking since a year without any problem.

i have NEVER optimized (no shadow) or mapped a drive . i think it is
                          not required on a small networking system.

on the server have a shared folder:
                          "a5datashare".

on server i start with normal icon on desktop:
                          c:A5V4Alpha5.exe c:a5v4a5 datanivaco.adb -splash=nivaco.bmp

on the 4 workstations: startup with icon on desktop with path to the
                          machine name/ full path of location of exe file / full path of
                          shared folder / control panel (adb)

works like a charm..

hope this helps.

v.p

Comment

thank you tom & vasant for your insightful & enlightning
                            explanations of your network setup

it is very helpful to see how others have handeled this situation

i think my problem turns out to be the terrible network
                            procedure a5 has published

now where did it mention peer to peer or dedicated
                            or what the install procedure would be each (i think i'm right
                            on this)

windows comes with it's own peer to peer network,
                            which is great for small companies with 6 or less computers

every software app i have installed in the last 5 years
                            came with instructions for peer to peer (windows) and dedictaed
                            such as novell/nt, most load the program on each computer and read the
                            data on the workstation/server and have no prblem with speed

if the only instructions a5 gave me is to optimize/refresh
                            what else should i think is the procedure

i don't have a problem with vasants setup, i don't think it's inferior
                            using today's p111, 500mhz i don't see that as problem reading data from
                            the server.

i do think alpha should have prepared better documentation for
                            networking, it seem they only think about a dedictaed server which
                            to me is unthinkable. i do think it's to much to ask small businesses
                            to invest in a stand alone server, i thought that went out years ago

if it sounds like i'm peeved, i am, about alpha's poor, misdirected
                            networking install procedure, and the total time wasted in trying
                            to optimize somthing that can't be refreshed

did i miss somthing from alpha on networking??
                            i sure would like to be wrong on this

again thanks tom & vasant, i really appreciate the time it took
                            for you to put out your information

this is still a great board and will stick with a5
                            but and really,really dissapointed in them on this

Comment

John, take a look at pg. 22-24 of What's New in version 4 for a discussion of how to setup and use network optimization...

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                              X