Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can we Write a script with xbasic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we Write a script with xbasic?

If we have a script existing in our database, can we edit or over-write it using xbasic.

2. Can we edit our form properties such as text and save the layout with the new settings using xbasic

3. Can we edit our form actions and then save them in xbasic, I think I just answered my own question!!!!! this is what I think we can edit?

RE: Can we Write a script with xbasic?

You can't write a script in anything but xbasic. If you have an action script consisting of various action objects, you can convert that to xbasic, through a menu command, and edit the resulting xbasic.

Any time you can see an action as a set of xbasic commands, you can edit them.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Jack - are you talking about making "permanent" entries or changes in the data dictionaries?

If so, I've looked and tried, but the dictionaries are encoded and I haven't figured that out.

- Steve
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Steve, I figured a weird way to do this. I will write to a text file, then a script will read each line from that file and evaluate it. This is a fast and simple way to keep all attributes on a form in a file where they can be changed without using variables. Cool stuff. Jack

Comment

"2. Can we edit our form properties such as text and save the layout with the new settings using xbasic"

Depending on what you want to do, yes.

If you know the name one or more objects on your form (you can change the names to make them more easily remembered),
          you can use xbasic to change the color of the form, visibility (see/don't see) and other attributes of most (if not all) items on a form. You can change the contents of a text label. You can change the color of a data field's text and/or backround.

These can be changed after clicking a button, when the form is activated, initiated, changes are saved, etc. You can make these changes occur based on the value of any given data for a record. For example, in an order system, if the date a piece of work (or incoming/outgoing order) is after today's date, you can change the data field from blak on white to white on red and "unhide" a text field that says something like "THIS WORK IS LATE".

If the text object that says "this work is late" has an object name of LateText, the command would be
          LateText.show()
          You could also change the text displayed by saying
          LateText.text = "New Message"
          LateText.refresh()
          Of course, the text field would have to be set to
          LateText.hide() in the form's activate or fetch event script, or the field would have it's properties set to hide.

Your script can set a button's ability to be activated on and off by using
          ButtonName.disable()
          and
          ButtonName.enable()

If you can provide a more specific example perhaps someone can give you more specific methods to do these things.

Comment

Thanks Jim, I have seen your wonderful form on the code archive. My question is if I have a form and I want the user to have the ablity to change the font or color of the field etc How is this done permanently? I can easily manipulate the objects attributes with xbasic for the current viewing session, but all the changes revert back to the original settings once I close the form. Jack

Comment

Please define user.

If you distribute your app and want the end user "administrator" to have the ability to change things (field colors)in the app you are looking at a lot of programming toaccomplish this, assuming no training and no full copy of Alpha.

If you want the users at your location to be able to change things, again you are looking at a lot of programming, and whenever they refresh due to your updates, they'll have to change things all over again.

If you want either group of users to be able to change the "look" of your app, there's a wonderful article at www.learn alpha.com, courtesy of Dan Blank, on changing background colors.

Hope I'm not off base in these suggestions.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan, I noticed in the right click menus you can add the proper thiings to do this. however, they are not active at anytime. They should be. I thnk I have figured a way to do this and keep all the data on the 'Users' computer sot that it is always available even after network optimizing. Jack

Comment

Hey Jack,

If you have the "stuff", pass it on.

My head is hurting from all the things I've learned today, but I'll make room for more.

Stan
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                  X