Alpha Video Training

Thread: Installation of A5

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

Default Installation of A5

Originally, I had installed A5 on PC-A. I purchased a new PC, PC-B, removed A5 from PC-A via windows Add/Remove Program, and re-installed the program on PC-B. All worked fine.

After a while I decided that since I'm eventually going to be using A5 in a network environment, and will be moving away from A4, I should begin to experiment with networking A5.

I purchased a 2nd copy of A5 and installed it on PC-A. It never asked me to enter the serial number of the new copy. Additionally, I have checked and somehow the 2nd/new copy of A5 is getting the serial number of the 1st copy.

I believe that I have eliminated all A5 on PC-A before installing the 2nd copy (done this a couple of times), and upon each install, the new copy always has the serial number of the copy on PC-B, which was originally on PC-A.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Mike

Jake Vuckovic

Default RE: Installation of A5

Mike, apparently uninstall does not remove registry entries. You can uninstall again, and then go to registry (type regedit from DOS window) and remove "Alpha Software" from
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software section.

Then install your second copy, and you'll be asked for new serial number.

I don't know if it makes any difference which serial number you have, but if it does, then you can do the above to make it right.

Jake

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Mike,

I'm not sure I know the answer but perhaps there is a file or two left in the in the computer's registry. I'm not confident that Windows "add/remove" will completely remove all files. It wouldn't hurt to have a good utility program such as Norton Utilities (if you don't already have it, get the combo pack which includes an add/remove program) or there are other software programs the identify unneeded files and allow for the removal of same. I think these are must programs to have anyhow so you really would be gaining as they do come in handy from time to time. It's like having a tool that isn't used much but when you need it, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Well, that's my two cents worth. Hope this helps.

ken

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Well, Jake beat me to it. Pretty good for an early Saturday morning. His method won't cost any $ but I still think it's a good idea to have the utility programs.

ken

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

thanks guys....I'll give it a try. I hope it works!!!

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

If you're feeling frisky you can search the registry for the user key in the Alpha section and just edit the registration number.

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

Thanks guys!!! I tried Jakes suggestion of removing the section "Alpha Software" and it worked.

Stan, before I deleted the section "Alpha Software" I peeked around in there a bit. I saw the registration number in there and gave it a quick consideration. Probably would have worked. But I deleted it all, and it installed correctly.

HOORAY!!!

Thanks all...have a great Saturday. (Are you all at work too?)

Kindest regards,
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I'm home, but I love working with databases so much that when I'm at work it doesn't seem like work.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Stan,

Second the motion, unanimous vote!

My wife keeps saying, "How can you sit there hour after hour and work on that thing?" Ha, she even took my wedding band, put my hand on the keyboard and proclaimed, "With this band, I thee wed!" And then she kidnapped me and we went off for the weekend. I'm wondering, is that what's called, "Having your cake and eating it too?" or "The best of both worlds"? At least I have the computer in the family room (kids are out of the nest, I love'em but Hip, Hip, Horray!)and give her plenty of opportuity to play some simple games and she like Printshop.

Today she's at work so, "while the boss is away, the mouse will play!" (I'm building a computer desk so won't she be surpirsed when she gets home?

ken