Alpha Video Training

Thread: Bar Chart: Print Problems

Real Name
    David Boomer

Default Bar Chart: Print Problems

I have created a form that displays a bar chart. I construct the bar chart by setting the width of a text field each time a fetch action is executed.

PROBLEM: the form displays correctly but when I print or print preview the form, the bars do not print (they show up as if I was printing the form from design mode) & many extra (blank) pages are printed.
    What am I doing wrong??
    daveboomer@aol.com

The following is an example of the fetch action script:
    (I have also included the script for the BarWidth function)...

'As
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text69.object.width = BarWidth(.21,.51,:FrmUrineTmp:Field6.value)
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text69.text = STR(:FrmUrineTmp:Field6.value,6,3)
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text69.Refresh()

'B
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text120.object.width = BarWidth(1.9,4.4,:FrmUrineTmp:Field8.value)
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text120.text = STR(:FrmUrineTmp:Field8.value,6,2)
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text120.Refresh()

'Ca
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text121.object.width = BarWidth(100,250,:FrmUrineTmp:Field9.value)
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text121.text = STR(:FrmUrineTmp:Field9.value,6,1)
    :FrmUrineTmp:Text121.Refresh()

'_________________________

function BarWidth as N(LowVal As N, HighVal As N, Observed As N)

Select
    Case ObservedLowVal .and. Observed1.35*HighVal then
    Barwidth = 6.7
    else
    BarWidth = 5 + ((Observed-HighVal)/(HighVal*1.35))*1.7
    end if
    end select
    end function

Real Name
    David Boomer

Default RE: Bar Chart: Print Problems

Well... I didn't get much help on this one... but I think I've got it figured out.

The on-fetch event does not appear to execute when a print is carried out. So.... the idea of triggering text-field objects attributes via this event will only work for viewing the graph as you fetch through the records.

To make it work I created cal variables (text) and a global function that returns the number of characters in a variable length string. The return function is passed three parameters: min max & observed.

You can then populate the Calc Variable with any bar-graph chr you like eg Repeat(CHR(178),FunctionVal)
    The end product is quite acceptable & allows Alpha to produce bar charts.

Hope this helps someone out there.
    Db

Don Reed

I have a text object on a form titled policy. I have a field called class. When class = to "layaway" then the text object changes to the policy statement for layaway. If class = "consign" then the policy statement changes to the policy statement for consignment. All works great until I print the form and the text object is blank. I tried saving the record before printing and still does not show the present policy statement.

Real Name
    Jack Wheeler

Don Change your text object to either a button (diable it) or a variable as previously mentioned. Alpha does not calculate text objects while printing as it does as you view it. Jack

Real Name
    Jack Wheeler

Hi David, did you read Mr Waynes article called line and bar graphs? I too found using objects works very well and is very easy to manipulate the data as you wish it to appear, however, it is very slow, Mr waynes article shows how to use API calls and the graphs are very fast! Try them. Jack

Don Reed

I tried replacing a button to do it and still no print results. How do I do this feat?

Thanks Mr. Wheeler

Real Name
    David Boomer

Thanks Jack...

I took you advice & the results were pretty good.. but a trifle slow...So,,,

I use this approach for small data sets & in cases where complex charts are not required.

When complex charts are required (eg Pareto, Cusum, Shewart etc) I purchased a copy of the OCX version of ChartFX (available from SoftwareFX.com.

I used Visual Basic to create a program that imports a text file generated by Alpha. The VB program performs some calcualtions/transformations on the data & stuffs it into the ChartFX OCX.

Works like a charm! & can produce just about any chart you could imagine while allowing tremendous end-user flexibility.

There is a bit of a learning curve for the developer but examples are provided & can usually be used out of the box as templates. The end-user is presented with an intuitively obvious interface to the charts.
    thanks
    David Boomer