Alpha Video Training

Thread: Rich Text Memo vs Memo Fields

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Rich Text Memo vs Memo Fields

Quick answer for a quick question. I want to convert my memo fields to Rich Text Memo. I presume no data will be lost?

RTM will do what I want, able to enter the field and begin typing. Not possible with a memo field. I've discovered this is possible with the RTM field.

Thanks,

kenn

Real Name
    Jack Wheeler

Default RE: Rich Text Memo vs Memo Fields

Hi Ken, I thought that you could tab into a memo field? I just tried mine and it allows me to tab into them and begin typing. The memo field is large on my form to allow me to do this.BUTTTTTT the RTF are a little tricky, I use a xbasic code that activates the field and then I use a save button on the side to save the data (not done automatically) BUT RTF's are the superior choice in my opinion. The argument is that you cannot manipulate RTF in any fashion using xbasic. You have to copy the text to an exterior file or clipboard. I believe you will lose all your data if you convert your fields. You should set up another field and then use the memo append function. Jack

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Jack,

Thanks for the quick reply. I want to be able to tab to the RTF and then begin typing w/o having to use the mouse or keystrokes. I find that quite annoying and I suspect my clients will as well. I'm not excited about having to create a save button but at least I can label it, Save Record since everything will have to be saved upon exit anyhow.

I like to curise through the P9 and A97 msg boards and found that there is a RTF now available for A97, 2000. It will format like a word processor, all the bells & whistles. Kind of cool. But, there's a catch. Remember I said "add on"? How about a $299 add on? Unless you'ver got a real bad itch, or consider $299 to be like $2.99, well I think you get the drift.

kenn

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Jack,
    I created a new table (only 4 fields, appended records to the new table. Then created a new form and created a browse from the new table. When the browse is run, no data shows in the fields. RTF fields only show . The data appended OK to the character and date field. OK, so what did I do wrong?

kenn

Real Name
    Jack Wheeler

Ken, You cannot see the rtf fields in browses. They have to be in a form. What exactly are you trying to do? If it is a browse you cannot use the RTF. They work great on a form.
    Here is a sample, lets say you have a form with fields 1 through 10 where field 6 is the memo field when you depart from field 5 there is a code in the ondepart event that says field6.activate(), the tab will take you out to the next field, field7. On the ONKEY event for the form you have a code something like this if a_user.key.event="down".and.a_user.key.value="{BACK}".and.this.active()="field7" then
    field6.activate. You are done. Let me know how it works. Everything is possible you just have to know the rules. Jack

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Jack,

What I'm trying to do:

Place a browse on a form below parent table records such as name & case#. The browse contains the date, investigative action taken and investigative action needed. I'm trying to duplicate what I've done in A97. Generally, a character field is large enough but sometimes it isn't so thought I'd switch to a memo field. Then I ran into a snag where I had to use either a key combo or a mouse click to open the memo field. Not real handy.

So then thought I'd try the rich text memo field. I can tab to the RTF and begin typing upon immediate entry to the field. According to the chapter 9 intro of the User's Guide, "Rich text objects & fields can be placed on any type of layout, with the exception of browses which ONLY ALLOW RICH TEXT FIELDS". I set the field ACTTAKEN to Rich Text Memo in the table and then selected the field from the Drag Drop List and dropped it on the browse.

Should work? If' you're right, the manual is wrong, unless I'm not understanding what I'm reading.

If I follow your suggestion, I'd have to get real creative in order see all activity for each name and case#.

Hope this is understandable.

kenn

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Ken:

If a regular memo field is in the tab order then the cursor goes into the field and you can begin typing right away. So, by itself, that's not a reason to go to RTF memos. Jack has already pointed out that you can't manipulate the RTF memo with Xbasic, which means that in V4, at least, text entered in the RTF memo can be printed but can't be transferred to another field or table by any means. This is a reason, I think, not to use RTF memos at all. V5 will have, I believe, a means of getting RTF memo text into a regular memo field. I'll wait for that to be available before putting anything into an RTF memo!

Finian

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Ken, check out the Contact Manager template that ships with Alpha Five. The Contact Manager form has a tabbed subform on it. One of the tabs (Activities) contains a memo field (Notes) which works transparently. Perhaps this is similar to what you are trying to build.

-- tom

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

ken

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Finian,

Thanks, I have not been able to begin typing as you suggest. At present, I have only three fields dispalyed, the date field and then two memo fields. When I tab into the memo field and beging typing, the type doesn't show nor does the cursor move. I have to click the pencil icon on the right side to open the memo field.

ken

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

i had that problem, too, but discovered that the width/height of the memo field determines whether or not you can begin typing immediately.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Martin,

What size did you end up with?

Ken

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Hi Tom,

I checked it out and it works great. Only problem is that it is on a form and not a browse. Tab to or click into the memo field and I can begin typing. However, place this on a browse and it's a different story. I must open the field to the full page beore I can enter data. The memo field on a form won't meet my needs, as I really need the browse so I can browse throught all the activity.

Ken

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

in v5 we are adding the ability to view and edit rtf memo fields directly on a browse.

Jake Vuckovic

But, Ken, excuse me for jumping in, I had same dilemma about this. The fact is, you cannot type directly into RTF memo when it's in the browse at all, nor can you do that with regular memo in the browse, unless you take that extra step (Alt-Down).

It's no win situation. I think you'll have to settle for regular memo if you have to use browse.

Jake

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Selwyn & Jake,

Glad to hear V5 hill have this capability. WIll it also have formating capabilities similar to a word processor?

I utilized Dr. Wayne's Xbasic script suggestion and it works just fine. It incorporates Jakes suggestion of the key strokes. The only remaining problem is that I can only view 32 characters of text. I would like to view enough text to occupy 3 lines.

Thanks for your suggestions, past and future.

Ken

Real Name
    Jack Wheeler

Ken I have figured out a way to do what you want. It takes alot of xbasic. In short you create a character field that you import a text file into. this file is copy and pasted from the rtf field. Then you can see the first 255 chacters. This is just for your viewing pleasure. When you enter that field a popup form is activated and it contains only the RTF field. Which you can then add to or edit.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Jack,

I'm using the following Xbasic on the CanEditField in the field rules to enter a memo field and automaticly opens the full page: sys_send_keys("{Alt-Down}") (Peter Wayne's suggestion)

Then, I set the characters to 255 and turned on word wrap. Does your method have an advantage over this?

From what I'm finding out, a RTF is not the best to use in this situation. Selwyn stated that this problem will be solved when V5 comes out. If it will have formating capabilities like a word processor, then it will be far and away over A97 or A2000. If you have $299 burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy an addon to format. That's a spendy enhancement.

I sure appreciate your efforts. (You wouldn't want to know how easy this is to do in A97) Not a promo for A97 but it does do some things easier. However, it has it's limits and that's why A5 is so nice.

ken

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Peter Wayne

Ken,
    I am not sure what you mean when you say you only see 32 characters of tesxt.
    Do you mean in regular browse view, or after you open the memo editor?

Another way to handle the viewing of the memo field is
    to have a browse of the record, but to place the
    memo fields directly on the form. You can then size the
    (unexpanded) memo fields to whatever size you wish. As you scroll
    from record to record in your browse, the memo field contents
    will be replaced with the contents of the current record's
    memo. Would that not satisfy your needs?
    If this isn't clear, email me your sample data tables and I'll
    email a sample form/browse combination back to you.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Peter,

It showed only 32 characters while in the browse. My problem was that I had created a browse and set the character to 255 and checked word wrap. However, when I added the browse to the form, I created another browse (embedded) rather than selecting the browse I had already created, thus the new browse's properties were not set properly. That taken care of, I can now see three lines of text on the display.

However, your suggestions sounds intriguing. I'll contact you via email.

Thanks for reading this post and your suggestion.

ken