Alpha Video Training

Thread: Forum comment / question

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Forum comment / question

1) a quick comment on the new msg board: I think too much screen space is taken up by the top most banner (Alpha logo, and Message Board Welcome text). On my system here fully 25% of the screen is consumed by text that never changes.

2) a quick question: When looking at the list of threads/topics in a forum, is there any way to suppress the second lines, so that we can see more topics on one screen? In my opinion showing the author of each topic along with the topic title takes up too much screen space. (two lines for each thread, instead of only one.)

-- tom

Alpha Software Employee AaronBBrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr
    1) a quick comment on the new msg board: I think too much screen space is taken up by the top most banner (Alpha logo, and Message Board Welcome text). On my system here fully 25% of the screen is consumed by text that never changes.
    What resolution are you using? We can work on tweaking some of this stuff

2) a quick question: When looking at the list of threads/topics in a forum, is there any way to suppress the second lines, so that we can see more topics on one screen? In my opinion showing the author of each topic along with the topic title takes up too much screen space. (two lines for each thread, instead of only one.)
    I thinks this is likely a growing pain...It can be changed, but once you get used to it I think you'll see the advantages. I can look into bumping up the number of posts/threads per screen, but the multi-line thread display is too valuable to change.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

>>What resolution are you using?

17" Screen, resolution set to 1024 x 768.

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

>>I thinks this is likely a growing pain...

Perhaps so, and I'll keep an open mind. But I fear the real growing pain occurs when there are more threads in a forum. At present we have 17 "pages" of thread topics in the A5v6 forum and the threads only go back to about August 27th or so.

-- t

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Tom, there are 176 pages of threads in the A5v6 forum, dating back to October of 2004.

Incidentally, to quote text you can type the following

[ quote=Tom Cone Jr]
    Perhaps so, and I'll keep an open mind. But I fear the real growing pain occurs when there are more threads in a forum. At present we have 17 "pages" of thread topics in the A5v6 forum and the threads only go back to about August 27th or so.
    [/quote]

That puts it in a quote box. You can also press the "Quote" button when replying to a thread. There is also a "Wrap quote tags around selected text" button in the reply box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr

-- t

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Aaron, thanks. I'm going to have to spend some time understanding how the HTML tags work.

Just now when I use the new message board to look at the Thread list in A5V6 there are only 11 pages of thread topics. The earliest "Last posted to date" is from August 25 or thereabouts, this year. Perhaps you're looking at the old board? Or more likely, I'm describing this badly. My point is simply that we could get more thread topics per "page" if we had the option to display one line per topic, instead of 2. This is not a big deal, especially if there is no easy way to make thisoptional for the user.

-- tom

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Alright, I see what happened....

The forum was set, by default, to only show threads from the last month. Each user can override that setting (which I had, apparently), so I was seeing everything. This is fixed. Thanks for the feedback.