Alpha Video Training

Thread: Lost Records

Ron McCormack

Default Lost Records

I have a client setup that has a server and 5 workstations running an app shadowed on the workstations. On one of the work stations a record is entered, saved and print offs are taken. Then the record can never be found again. It is not deleted as far as undelete is concerned, I have checked the indexes can find no trace of it.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Default RE: Lost Records

Ron,
    Forgive me for stating the obvious but it may solve your problem.
    I have users reporting this and it is inevitably the same. Suppose the entry form contains Fname and Lname and the indexes, filters, seaches etc are set for Lname then the user accidently types in First name on the Lname field none of the find and searches bring up the Lname.

Michael

Ron McCormack

Code:
    Thanks Micahael
    Unfortunately no, indexes are on auto-increment fields, also i have checked the file manually, the record jsut does not exist.

I am wondering if it is a problem with the Workstation as it seems to be only that onw that has the problem.

Ron

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Are you certain the indices for the table are ok? I've found similar behavior occasionally when an index for a table gets out of synch with the data entry.

If the indices are fine, and the record truly not in the table, I'd verify that the user is actually saving it in the first place. Have you been able to replicate the problem yourself? I've had users tell me that things were saved, when they never actually pressed the save record button, for example.

Good luck.

-- tom

Aamer Khan

Hi Ron,

I have had the same problem adn the problem was that the user was not saving the records and printing the form and then typing in another record.
    This may the case fro you if the user is printing a form with only the info from the record he/she is seeing on the screen.
    Hope it helps

Real Name
    Sylvia Tobias

When you say you have checked the indexes, Ron, did you actually try to find the record using each of the indexes? Whenever I have had this problem it has occurred because a query index had somehow been created and was being used by the program. Any records not valid under that query would not show up. Simply changing to a regular index has caused them to "miraculously" reappear.

Sylvia

Ron McCormack

Thanks Sylvia,
    Yes i have tried that, it seems that it may be that either the user did not save, or the system did not save the record. I still am not sure yet.