Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Duplicate records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate records

I sent this last night, the file was corrupted I'll try again with an added
    explanation.

I'm have a problem with the deposit set in the attached database. The
    records are entered through the deposit entry form. The form consists of tbl
    deposit_head and an embedded browse of tbl deposit_line. Everything is
    ok on the form and in deposit_line but some deposit_line records show
    twice in the default browse for the set. These print out on the deposit slip
    report twice� but are only added into the total once. They appear to be
    some phantom records if I change a record in deposit line both records are
    changed in the set browse.

When you look over the records notice that almost all records with a 5
    digit check and $60.00 check amount are doubled along with random other
    occurrences. The script that runs when the curser leaves the check number
    field is to check the last check number of the donor and see if it is within
    50 of the current check number it help catch entry errors.

I will try to explain the problem better

I know that all the records in child browse are duplicated in the set
    browse. My problem is that some of the records are in the set browse
    twice. If you open the deposit form go to the "April 5 test" deposit you
    will see each record is in the deposit once. Now click on the print deposit
    slip button you will see some records twice. The deposit slip total is
    $595.00 The correct amount!
    But the total of the amount column if you add it up is $775.00 The browse
    for the set has the extra records.

I thought the ile downloaded I guess not I will try again

I am running a5v4.03 on a k62400 with 128meg of ram.

Thanks for any help
    Ken Cameron

RE: Duplicate records

Ken,
    I tried looking at your app, but got bunch of greyed out tables and sets. This is an indication that tables in the database are not in their original location.
    Aren't all your tables in one folder on your machine?

Comment

Ken,
      I do not see the "duplicate" records you refer to while looking at the default form for the deposit set. Furnish keystroke by keystroke instructions on how to duplicate the problem, and I'll look again.

I do, however, see the duplicates in the "deposit slip report old" report.

I suggest you create a new set. Make your deposit line items the parent table, and link one-to-one with the deposit header table. Base your deposit slip rerport on this new set. I think this will help because the duplicates you are seeing come from the line items table, and your report is based on a set in which they are the child table. By inverting the tables into a new set, and using this new set to do your report, your group break for deposit type will occur in the parent table, not in the child table. I think this will help.

-- tom

Comment

Ken, the other thing I noticed is that you have a calculated field in the deposit_items table which (if I remember right) is called identifier. This field is calculated by adding (concatenating) three other fields together. The field width is not big enough to hold all possible values of the three fields used in the calc expression. Should be 30, not 24.

-- tom

Comment

I downloaded the file back to my machine and it works OKeverything is in one folder on my machine.

Comment

Thanks for the info about field length. I haven't tried to find the duplicate record in the sets default form but they are in the default brouse for the set.

As you will see the problem shows up most often when the check number is 5 digits and the check amount is 60.00. The problem MAY occur almost all the time when the check number is in the 23000 range. and the amount is 60.00, but it seem to ocurr on almost any combination after 18-24 records have been added. Did you notice the duplicate records on the report were not added into the total.

Thanks for any help
            Ken

Is there any way to get the screen I am typing on to fit on my screen?

Comment

Full screen typing window:

In IE5 - right click on a link, choose "open in new window". In other words select the message link you want to reply to or the "New Topic" link, right click, .....
              There can be only one.

Comment

Ken, good news. I think I see why you are getting *occasional* duplicates.

Your set design includes three tables. The "grandchild" table (membasic1.dbf) is linked one-to-many to your "child" table. Alpha Five is showing the child records one time for each grandchild record that is present.

Compare your printed invoice with the records in membasic1. You will see that the entries which appear to have been duplicated correspond to members who have more than one record in the membasic1 table. It's not related to donation amount or field width after all.

In other words the browse is displaying the virtual records which correspond to the matched pairs of child and grandchild records. This is discussed in the User Guide at pg 120 in a section called "Viewing Parent Records Only". In the context of your set, your child table is a "parent" to the grandchild table. See what I mean?

To create your report consider defining a new set which does not include the grandchild table.

-- tom

Comment

TOM
                  Thanks a lot you were right I deleted membasic1 from the set and it fixed everything.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X