Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Image path problem with network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image path problem with network

Hi,

I have an application on a server. The app works fine, along with the shadowed apps on workstations.

The problem is that I want to add photos to the app. I can make the script work on my application which is running directly off of the server, but does not work on the network optimized workstations.

Here is the script:

vc_photo=t.file_name
    if vc_photo=""
    vc_photo="no_photo.jpg"
    end if
    this:bitmap1.bitmap.filename=vc_photo

The script is on the OnInit event of the form. no_photo.jpg is a jpg which says "No photos available for this item".
    t.file_name is a field in the table which holds the name of the jpg.

I set this up to accommodate records with multiple pictures. On a browse, I have an OnChangeRecord event which re-freshes the bitmap with a photo corresonding to the line in the browse.

All works fine on my computer, but not on the workstations.

I tried changing to the following:

vc_path=chr(92)+"\tottser_repub\database\CC"+chr(92)
    vc_photo=alltrim(vc_path+t.file_name)
    if vc_photo=""
    vc_photo="no_photo.jpg"
    end if
    this:bitmap1.bitmap.filename=vc_photo

(Our server name is tottser_repub and the shared folder is database, with the subfolder named CC)
    The above script resulted in the following on my computer:
    I get a message stating
    bad parameter passed to form
    and
    Cannot read bitmap file "\\tottser_repub\database\CC\e05-035.JPG"

appears on the form.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Jay Talbott

Jay Talbott
    Lexington, KY

RE: Image path problem with network

Here is a quote from Jerry Brightbill

"One of the problems using linked bitmaps is that the bitmap (jpg or bmp) has to be in the same relative folder on every machine. If you have it in the database folder on the server, then you will need a copy on every terminal in the shadow folder. Sometimes a good solution is to embed the bitmap. That works for forms, but not reports. You can also attach it to the database. Then it exists as a global bitmap and when a shadow is refreshed, the local shadow databse will have a local copy."

This was his reply to me when I had a similar problem.

FYI
    searching the board is recommended as a first choice

Glen

Comment

Glen,
      Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, I did search the board, and looked in the CHM help file. Obviously, an ounce of Glen is worth a pound of search "grin".

Thanks again.

Jay
      Jay Talbott
      Lexington, KY

Comment

James,

We have an image folder on our server that contains images of our customers for identification purposes. We store them as bitmap files , but jpg's should also work. This is the code we use in the "on_fetch" event of the form when we display it.

pict1=image-"image
        oldfile = "O:\IMAGES"+chr(92)+trim(pict1)+".bmp"
        if .not. file.exists(oldfile)
        oldfile = "O:\IMAGES"+chr(92)+"not_avail.bmp"

end if

topparent:Bitmap1.bitmap.filename = oldfile

It works for us. If, for some reason, there is no image, we display a " Photo not available" bitmap.

Hope it helps.

Tom

Comment

Re: Image path problem with network

Tom,

I am trying to get the "image (Electric - signature on)" for report. I stored the Image at shared storage and shared folder.

Image's Storage path, Z:\shared Data\Images\Jk_Signature.jpg

I have this code at OnPrinInit Event.
          Code:
          'vgEmpId is a Global variable and called it from form's button and carry over to report

'find the path from EmpSign Table
          dim tSign as p
          tSign = table.open("Emp_sign",FILE_RO_EXCLUSIVE)
          query.filter ="Emp_id="+quote(vgEmpId)
          query.order =""
          qSign = tSign.query_create("n",query.filter)
          rSign = qSign.records_get()
          If rSign >0 then
          	vgImgPath = alltrim(tSign.Sign_path)    
          	msgbox("test Image path",vgImgPath)  '<==Test, I can see the path 
          	Bitmap1.bitmap.filename = vgImgPath
          else
          	Bitmap1.bitmap.filename = ""	
          end if
          qSign.drop()
          tSign.close()
          I can see the test path, but the report did not merge a Bitmap, has an error note here...

Did I missing something on this code? How Do I get the signature on the report?

Comment

Hi John,

I can see the test path, but the report did not merge a Bitmap, has an error note here...
            What was the error?
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi David,

The Bitmap1 field is blank with report Preview mode and a note is " No Bitmap Specified " with Design Mode.

Comment

We print ID cards for Employees. We capture the photo and signature using a camera and a topaz signature pad.

This is the code we use in the onprintinit event of the card:

Code:
                dim global badgeno as N
                dim filename1 as C
                filename1 = "G:\bcbss\PHOTO"+CHR(92)+alltrim(str(BADGENO))+".JPG"
                sigfile = "S:"+CHR(92)+alltrim(str(BADGENO))+"s.JPG"
                IF FILE.EXISTS(filename1)
                	bitmap6.bitmap.filename = filename1
                  ELSE
                  	bitmap6.bitmap.filename = "G:\bcbss\photo\not_avail.jpg"
                END IF
                IF FILE.EXISTS(sigfile)
                	bitmap1.bitmap.filename = sigfile
                  ELSE
                  	bitmap1.bitmap.filename = "G:\bcbss\PHOTO\blanksig.jpg"
                END IF
                Hope it Helps,

Tom

Comment

Since a number (4) images are needed for certain reports, I have an extra table to imbed them in for each of the forms and reports. I built an automated up loader for the specifically named .png files.
                  It is also possible to manually look them up.
                  there is a specific folder under the shadow folder to hold the images. It also has a shortcut on the desktop to that folder for quick viewing and editing.
                  after they are downloaded, the new images are all copied to the server in a similar folder .
                  After a period of time the images are flushed from the image table due to the large size of the fpt files.
                  These Images are autoprinted with the reports
                  I can give better information if needed. I am not sure if all this is compatible with version 5 since it has been so many years since I even had v5 loaded.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                  X