Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Bookings Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bookings Database

Can anyone help.

My Brother has a small Hotel and he has asked if I can build him a Bookings applications.

I can build basic databases, but being not much more than a novice I'm struggling with the concept of some sort of calendar/date database for rented rooms.

Has anyone got an example of a bookings database that I could look at, so I can work out what I need to do.

I have searched but cannot find any help or examples.

Thanks
    Paul

RE: Bookings Database

Paul,

I have not yet had the opportunity to work on a bookings db as you are describing, however maybe I can offer some suggestions to perhaps get you started.

Whenever I take on a new project, it is usually of the type that I have never worked on previously. What I do is take a look at the 'big picture' and work my way backwards.

Find out from your brother what types of reports he wants to be able to get as a result of the db. What type of information will he need on the reports? Will he have room numbers, names of the people staying in the rooms, credit card information, details of the person in the room, price of the room, price changes based on dates, how many staying in the room, arrival date, departure date, etc?

Now take this information, disect it, work backwards and determine what tables you will need to achieve the end results desired.

You will probably want a table to store general room information. The room number, price of room, dates booked, dates available. If prices change based on dates (in season or out of season) you will want a table to track that. You will probably want a scheduling table. You could include the room number, arrival date, departure date. These are just ideas, nothing is concrete.

Hopefully this will get the wheels turning. I have not really put a lot of thought process into this, so please do NOT take this as gospel.

Good luck
    Cheryl
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Hello Cheryl, thanks for the advice. We have talked about his requirements, which are quite basic really, just normal info very much like you stated in your message.

It�s just that I can�t work out how to view a date for a booking in the future. If for instance someone were to request a booking in three months time, there would have to be some kind of lookup calendar with the rooms available in the period the customer was requesting. This is what I can�t work out how to do and why I wanted to see if anyone had anything similar to this, that I could look at.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

Again just thinking off the top of my head, create a table to be used as a one to many link with the room_table as the parent and your new table as the child.

The child table could have fields like:
        room_num
        date_arr
        date_dept

Then you could run a query when you are booking a room, if date wanted is between date_arr and (date_dept-1), "sorry that room is not available on 'date_wanted', please try another date", preview report of all room numbers that do not have that date booked.

Your query expression could be difficult to get correct because you are working with date fields, but if you lookup tablecount() in the online help files there are several excellent samples of expressions that might help you.

Good luck
        Cheryl
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Thanks Cheryl, I'll have a go.

Paul

Comment

Do a forum search in the V5 and V4 forums on "reservation" (US-speak) as I'm pretty certain that there has been discussion of this before.

Finian
            Finian

Comment

Thanks Finian, I'll have a look.

Comment

As Cheryl mentioned building queries or filters with dates can be kind of tricky. This is mainly because the the filter requires a string for the expression. Which can become confusing when trying to use variables (i.e. the two dates you would be trying to seach between) as these variable names will get interpreted literally.
                I'm not sure how complex you would make your database, whether you would use a form with built in buttons and script to query (or filter - same thing) your data or if you would just use the Genie to do this for you, but at some stage you will be required to enter an expression for this.
                In the Alpha Five help (I'm on V5) there is a page titled "A procedure for building complex expressions". It doesn't come up in the index and can be hard to find. If you type that exact title into the Search Tab search box, it should be one of the results returned.
                In the example they use it is being used to set the filter string for a filter in Xbasic, you should be able to apply the concept to the Expression Builder.
                Basically if you have to put an expression inside quotes (i.e. a character string) then when you want to quote an actual string with in this you need to use single quotes.

If you want to use a variable then you single quote it like a string but you have to concatenate the variable outside of the expression so it wont be interpreted literally.
                Oh and there are also two ways of doing this, using single quotes or the escape character on double quotes (if you see examples for trees in the help files it use the latter). But the single quote method is much simpler.

I don't know if this makes any sense to you. But when you start trying to build filter expressions and you need to use a variable, that page will stop you banging your head against a wall.

Comment

Thanks Neil, thanks for the help and the pointers.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X