Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Introduction to Action Scripting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction to Action Scripting

I'm new to Alpha Five, but have just downloaded the pdf file and started working through the examples. It's driving me nuts. Screen shots don't match up. Instructions seem to be missing. I've spent hours stuggling through the first two sections. Has anyone at Alpha tried it themselves? Has anyone written 'Action scripting for Dummies yet?

RE: Introduction to Action Scripting

Roger,

"I feel your pain!" As a "Newbie" to Alpha Five, I completely agree with your assessment of Alpha's documentation. I used Alpha Four (DOS) in the early days and found the Help files and documentation much more user friendly. I also miss a simple "Help Index" where I can type in a certain item and have it take me to a list where I can display and/or access Help on that item. Now all you get is a bunch of broad (and, hence, vague) references to different PDF files. Access one of them and, once again, all you have are the broad references. Not even an index or table of contents (I mean a REAL table of contents) where you might find what you need! Thankfully, I HAVE -- via this message board -- found a couple of guys on line who have been able to quickly and easily resolve my problems. As a former professional software documentation write, I have to say that the current state of Alpha Five's documentation, User Guide and Help files is NOT very user-friendly and, thus, not very useful. Hopefully, the great folks at Alpha -- whose product I've always appreciated! -- will take pity and address the issue of difficult-to-navigate User Manuals, Training Guides, etc.

Comment

I use the online help files all the time. There IS an index where you can type in various text and get all kinds of choices.

If there are specific 'examples' that you are following and screen shots etc do not match, perhaps if you let us know the exact location of these samples we can look into it further for you to see if we get the same results.

I personally feel that the Alpha documentation is phenominal.
      Cheryl
      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
      http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

I agree; the software is great. I just feel I could learn to use it a lot quicker (and with less frayed nerves!) if the documentation was of the same standard.

Roger

Comment

Roger,

You still did not tell us exactly where in the help docs the samples do not agree with what you are getting. Without this information we cannot determine if there is a problem with the docs ... which can and will get fixed quickly if an error is found ... or if there is something wrong with the steps you are taking to follow the examples.

Cheryl
          Cheryl
          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Cheyl.
            I am aware of the online help, but as a complete novice to Action Scripting I felt that working through the examples would be a good starting point.
            As for examples, I will give just a couple for now, taken from the 'Introduction to Action Scripting' dated 6 October 2004.

p8 paras #4 - 6: You don't need speech marks when entering text. (cf para#15 on p9)

pp9 - 11 paras# 15 - 17: If you carry out these instructions you are NOT going to get the same result as the screen shot shown at para# 28.

Roger

Comment

Roger,

I suppose the samples are assuming that you have a user knowledge of data entry input and that the quote marks are not needed for data entry. The quotes are placed in the pdf so that you know 'what text to input'. I suppose this could be clarified more since you chose to go straight to the examples without reading other areas of the documentation.

Feel free to email Ed directly with your concern about the quotes not being needed and I am sure he will be more than happy to update and clarify the docs.

As far as the dialog in #28, what exactly do you get?

Cheryl
              Cheryl
              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Roger,

If you could copy and paste a piece of the problem text, then I could use it to search for the problem. If a screen shot is out of date, attach a copy to your message.

Comment

Cheryl

Concerning the quotes; in the text in paras #4 to 6 there are quotes, but in para #15 there aren't.

In para #28 the screen shot shows a message box with the title 'Welcome', an image of a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it,the text 'Your name is Selwyn' and three buttons (Yes, No and Cancel). The instructions in para #12 et sec ask you to create a message box with just an 'OK' button (para #13), enter 'An error has occurred' for the title (para #15) and then build an expression starting with 'You have entered an invalid value for' plus the variable vcName stored from the previous action. Thus I get a message window that is different in every respect from that shown in para #28 as there is no instruction to change the default image which is the 'i' (for information) one.

Who is Ed?

Roger

Comment

Ed

I have just sent a reply (to Cheryl's last message) before I read yours.

I assume that you have the same copy of the pdf file as I have been using (October 2004).

So far I have only tried to 'work through' pages 6 to 13 (Creating Your First Action Script). Of the 14 screen shots in this section, ten are different to what I get on my screen.

Some are very minor differences, but some are obviously at variance with the text. eg the name entered is stored in a variable vcName(para #6). However the screen shot on p13 of the Xbasic code shows the variable as 'cL'.

Roger

Comment

The software is in continue transition. Screen shots become obsolete. Some of my colleagues think that I should not include screen shots because of this problem. If you want the latest and best, use the on-line webhelp or download the latest .CHM file.

Comment

Working...
                      X