Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

One form, two tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One form, two tables

Hi,

I need to create a form that has two tables, not linked in a set. How can I do this? What I want to achieve is data in one table and record version numbers in the second. the information is not linked.

Thanks

Paul

RE: One form, two tables

First, I might be better able to help if you explained a bit more. For example, are you saying the "data" in table 1 has no connection whatsover to the "record version numbers" in table 2? If not, why are you trying to show them on the same form? And if not, I doubt there is a way to do what you want.

However, do you mean something like a one record table with data on the company (name, address, phone, etc.) and another table with, say, a mailing list of prospects? Bad example maybe, but if this is what you are after, why not link the 2 tables in a set using two fields, like company name and prospect name, one-to-one "closest matching record"? Thus all records in the mailing list table would be linked to the same single record in the company table. This works.

But I suspect this type of scenario is not what you are talking about. If not, then at the very least I would need more information before I could be of any further help.

Ray

Comment

Ray,

All I want to do is be able to have a version reference on each form indicating which version the application is up to. I know I can just put a text field in each time make changes but I was hoping to have a memo field also to record the changes made, a sort of history file of changes.

I hope this is clearer.

Is there a better way to do this?

Paul

Comment

Paul, if you kept the last version (revision?) number in a field and kept a description of the changes in the memo field you could "lookup" the last version and display it using a calc field in the form. i.e. base the form on one table, but create a calc field that looks up the last version field value from the other. You could add a button to the same form to pop up another form to display the change/revision description text. This second form would be based on the second table.

-- tom

Comment

Ah, now I get it!

Tom's suggestion is good, but if I were doing it I think I would use a global variable instaed of a calc field. That way when the user starts the application, an autoexec could lookup the revison number on the last record in your revisions table and set your global variable to that value. Then you could easily put that variable on all your forms, if desired. And as Tom says, a button somehwere would bring up the entire history with you memo field, etc.

Ray

Comment

Both ways look good to try. I now need to go away and do it.

thanks

Paul

Comment

Paul,

I show the current version and build on the main menu of one application. I do not have the need to show it on all the forms so I did not bother with using my autoexec to populate the variables.

In my main menu design mode, I created two variables. Then I dragged and dropped them onto the form as you would any field. I use the OnInit event in the form properties to populate the variables with the following code:

'Open t_version table, go to the last record
              'Get values of vers_num and vers_build fields
              'Assign field values to global variables

dim global vcgVersion as C
              dim global vcgBuild as C
              dim tbl as p

tbl = table.open("t_version")
              tbl.fetch_last()
              vcgVersion = tbl.vers_num
              vcgBuild = tbl.vers_build
              tbl.close()

In your case, since you want to display the version on multiple forms, I would suggest using Ray's idea and place your code in the autoexec so that it is available to all forms without having to program the OnInit event in all of them.

I also have a table that I created to store information that I want to have available to any form/report/letter etc without having to tie that table to those forms/reports/letters. I used Dr Wayne's example for initializing global variables at:

A Better Way to Initialize Global Variables

My table to store the information has more fields than in his example, but all that is really needed is:

My_Var, My_Type, and My_Value as he describes.

I then created a function 'company_variables' to initialize the variables:

FUNCTION company_variables AS C ( )
              t=table.open("t_app_info",file_ro_shared)
              t.fetch_first()
              while .not. t.fetch_eof()
              evaluate_template("dim global "+trim(t.My_var)+" as "+trim(t.my_type))
              evaluate_template(trim(t.my_var)+ "=" + trim(t.my_value))
              t.fetch_next()
              end while
              t.close()
              end
              END FUNCTION

In my autoexec file I call the above function:

'**** Global Variables to capture Company Information ****

company_variables() 'this will be used on reports, etc

This option works nicely for a many reasons. It allows you to add variables at any given time during development or after the application is live and you are making updates, without having to change your function or your autoexec. All that is needed is to add new records in the table where you are storing the variable information.

With this option I can now place any of these variables on any form, report, letter, etc without having to ever adjust my code or without having to ever tie the table to that form, report, letter, etc.

You could use the above method for your version as well. Like they say, there are many ways to skin a cat. Whichever is easiest for you and achieves the specific results you need is the way to go.

Good luck.
              Cheryl

Cheryl
              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
              http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Working...
              X