Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need your advice please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Need your advice please

Hi Mickey

I agree with you on the forum but not on the runtime licensing.

If Alpha were to start charging for each program a developer distributes, that would kill any chance of Alpha Five getting developers to switch to Alpha Five.

When it comes to choosing a development tool there are many to choose from and the one thing they all have in common is royalty free runtimes. If a developer is trying to decide on what tool to develope his next app in, he is less likely to choose the one that is going to cost him for every copy he distributes.

I think Alpha Five has a big advantage over some of these other tools and I would hate to see that advantage lost due to cost. A lot of people base there dicissions on cost regardless of what the other benefit are. They will go with the cheaper option.

I remember when Alpha was about to release the WAS and they were going to charge for the server license by the user count. Well this met with a lot of resistence and they change it to unlimited users. I am glad they did this because it would have made it very difficult to get developers to start using WAS to create web apps especially when there are other options out there (none as easy as WAS) that don't cost anything, not even a onetime server fee.

Runtime fees may make sense for a vertical market product but not for a product like Alpha Five.

Anyway I just thought I would share my views on this matter.

Regards

Dermot
    Dermot Fitzpatrick
    www.fitzsolutions.com

Comment

Here in Canada you can purchase Alpha Five version 5.0 in Staples for $99 CAD.

Would be nice to see the latest version available though.

Dermot
      Dermot Fitzpatrick
      www.fitzsolutions.com

Comment

Hello Dermot:

Just curious! If you sell your application to one client with 4 users and another with 9 users, do you charge them the same rate?

Mickey
        Mickey Shekdar

Comment

Hi Mickey,

Alpha's RT charges varies depening on how many seats are purchased. Check out this link.

kenn

http://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/prodlist.asp?TYPEID=12&TYPE=Alpha+Five+Version+6+Products
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Mike

I charge one price fo a single another for a 3 pack and another for a 5 pack and so om. But that is a totally different issue. That is how many users within a company can use my software to create estimates for example or how many machines they can install it on. Just like if I have 5 Alpha Five developers, I would need 5 Alpha Five licenses. I don't care how many estimates my customers can create with with my software. I don't care if they do $20,000 worth of work a year or $20,000,000.

If I understand you correctly, you mean that Alpha Software should charge developers for every copy of a program they create with Alpha Five and distribute. Well my view is that would kill it.

Yes they do control how many users can connect to a runtime database at one time with their runtime pricing but again that is a different issue.

Regards

Dermot
            Dermot Fitzpatrick
            www.fitzsolutions.com

Comment

Mickey;

I have to disagree with all of your proposals, except the one about DataEase being in the stoneage (ex DE developer). I have the same reasons as posted above about the RT pricing.

But also on the forum; its vital that Alpha NOT moderate the forum. They, after all, are NOT the experts in using the software, we are. I mean that literally. They might have greater knowledge of how a particular function works, but they do not have the 'in the trenches' experience of working with hundreds of projects and clients.

If someone posted a question, and a particular Alpha agent was assigned to respond, it would cool user participation because who can argue with an assigned expert moderator? I don't want Alpha to respond unless I am reporting a bug or the question is about WHY Alpha works in a particular way (or no one else can answer a particular question). I want them focused on the next version, fixing bugs and making Alpha more popular (PR, etc.).

I know that we would probably frustrate an Alpha moderator by occassionally telling them we did not like this or that function or method. We can tell that soft of thing to each other because we won't take it personally. We can discuss the pros and cons more easily because we aren't burdonded by what we would actually have to do to the Alpha code.

On the DataEase forum, I have received personal calls from the Sapphire developers telling me not to discuss particular issues because it might affect sales - that's what happens when the owner moderates the forum.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,

Very well put. I couldn't agree more!!

kenn
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

For the most part I agree with Steve, especially on the RT pricing. As for the forums, the way Alpha staff have participated in recent years is just fine--there is nothing wrong with them responding as opposed to anyone else responding. Lord knows if a response by an staff member is not the best, there are plenty of user experts who won't hesitate to jump in. As for Mickey's comment that some "do not hide their intolerance towards others, etc.", yes that's true, but I think we all deal with that kind of thing pretty well, and I for one would not want a monitor to stop what can sometimes result in interesting discussions, in spite of the arrogance, intolerance, etc. Hey, it takes all kinds to make life interesting.

Ray Lyons

Comment

My thoughts

Richard,

I have bought Alpha Software switching over from Dbase Version 5.7 windows. They do have an up to date software package, but the trial did not impress me as Alpha 5 Version 7's did.

The primary item I have not seen in the community (and I may not know where to look) is libraries of scripts used by current developers they have found helpful in developing applications. The code you can capture from the tool is great, but code developed by developers in the field to handle generic issues would be helpful, especially to new developers to Alpha 5 as myself. I hope if I actually begin developing apps for clients with Alpha 5 that my library of scripts will be useful to others, but I am sure it will mimic what the tool does.

Directly on your question, I think advertising and redirects from sites such as download.com would be very helpful. I do understand the charging for runtimes, but quite frankly the ability to distribute my Dbase applications as exe's with no runtime charges is why I used it for so long in many instances. It is a great revenue item for the company. A difficult choice.

Thanks,

Enjoying learning the software. If I can port this client over to Alpha 5 after being on Dbase since 1992, I will be thoroughly impressed with the product. I have found that clients go with what a developer recommends if the result meets their needs. Having the clients awareness of the software would be helpful too.

Dave B

Comment

Found a whole bunch of code

Richard,

Found a bunch of code while perusing the forum. Cancel that caveat of mine in my original post.

Dave Babin

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins
                        When you're creating applications with Alpha Five, you might have encountered the 'what's Alpha?' question from clients and other developers. We've decided to step up a public relations campaign to make Alpha's database tools more familiar in the developer community, and we'd like to ask for your advice.

We're trying to identify a dozen or so 'A List' publications (print and online) that developers read most carefully for discussions of new software tools and technologies. Based on what you tell us, we'll focus our attention on getting visibility where it counts--which might not be in the obvious places.

We have a pretty good idea about many of the names that should be on this 'A List,' of course. But your feedback will help us fill in the gaps and make sure we know who the real thought-leaders are for application developers like yourself.

To help out, please list the top 3-5 publications, blogs, and forums that you personally feel have the most useful discussions of software tools for developers:

Many thanks.

We'll try to use this information to convince your clients and users that Alpha is the right choice for application development.

Sincerely,

Richard Rabins
                        computerworld
                        www.computerworld.com

for new tool searching, Google

No matter how busy I am, I read computerworld cover to cover.

On the web side, it would (will? V8?) be much better when Alpha has the same tools and ease of use for creating with MySQL that you currently have with DBFs. I know you can use MySQL now but try getting a field list populated doing it, etc.

It's the LAMP stack that has the largest appeal to many people. Getting a product that will address that desire (ease of design with MySQL and ease of server setup) that will let you really own the RAD competition. I am hoping that that day comes sooner than later.

/waves at the V8 programmers.
                        Please make me want to say WOW I *LOVE* V8 !

Comment

Publicising Alpha (five) Software

Have you considered the publication Computeractive? Their web address is www.computeractive.co.uk

Comment

Consultant web sites

One way to get the word out is through web sites such as guru.com that help customers find programmers and vice versa. I went to post a profile on Guru.com, but there is no Alpha Five selection in the dropdown list. It would add a lot to an Alpha Five programmers creditability if Alpha Five was a searchable dropdown list choices on these types of sites. Otherwise, customers will feel it's too obscure to choose as a programming platform.

Brett
                            IncWebs Inc.

Comment

I may have mentioned this to you earlier, but one method is to have a volunteer take one or more of your slide presentations to a local user group meeting. Around here we have about a dozen that meet regularly. You could even convince users groups for FoxPro to give you 15 minutes. Meetup.com is a good source for finding such groups.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Richard,

One other possible attack prong that I suggested to Brett Johnston: go after the high school/community college market by giving price incentives to induce them to switch from your two primary competitors in this segment: MS Access and FileMaker. Not only can they provide a significant market in themselves, but they introduce students to the product. I believe that when those students graduate, they will tend to go back to programs that they used in school or influence their companies to use those products.

Comment

Working...
                                X