Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Enter new record"...not blank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE:Unwanted data in new record

Following is an "off board" conversation, posted here at the request of Al Buchholz, as info for anyone who is interested. Read from the bottom towards the top.
    ===================

Al..

Q...I want to use my own expression because I want the record number to be created once only...at record creation. Then it must not increment at future revisions. The auto increment will alter it every time.

A...That's not true. It makes the value when the record is created and leaves it as that value even when a record is updated.

Q...The strange thing is that the expression works fine, so long as you close the current record before trying to create a new one. The system did not warn me not to do it that way...I only got warnings when I stripped the IF expression away from the MAXIMUM statement.

A...It told me that the expression shouldn't be used.

===================
    I will try the "events" route, also look at the suggestions on the site.

Also...when I am satisfied with the thing, I will post it to the site.

Paul S..

==================================

At 07:43 AM 2/26/2005 -0600, you wrote:

Paul

Or it's using a function that's not designed to be used there.

Why do you want to write your own expression when the autoincrement does what you want?

I believe it when the system tells you not to use a function in that context, you probably better not use it there.

There are some examples of alternatives to the autoincrement choice for those who need it. Some are posted on the message board, others are at http://www.learn alpha.com

Most involve coding applied at the cansave event of the field rules. Those events are found on the events tab of the field rules along with choosing the record events within that tab.

I don't think you're going to convince anyone that this situation is a bug. The system in fact told you not to do it that way. The only thing it didn't do is give you an alternative.

To keep the message board effective, please post your results so others can gain from that experience.

regards
    alb
    ==========================
    At 12:06 AM 2/26/2005, you wrote:

Al..

This gets wierd. I think the word for it is a bug.

I did the things you suggested, and it stopped misbehaving!

So...I put everything back the way it was, one step at a time (to find out what the problem was), and the problem re-occurred when I rebuilt the calculated field expression for RECNBR (was RECNO).

The expression is IF(RECNBR"0,RECNBR,MAXIMUM(RECNBR)+1) This creates a record number by adding one to the highest existing RECNBR, but only if it is empty.

The expression evaluates correctly, but also causes the problem. I tried it with a dummy IF(1=1,2,3) statement which works fine, and causes no problem, and it appears that it is the MAXIMUM argument that bombs it. If I put the MAXIMUM statement in by itself...ie: not inside an IF( ) statement, the field rules system will not allow it...says "cannot use in this context".

Paul S..
    ===========================

0600, you wrote:

Paul

I'm not getting it to do what you said.

Are you on the latest patch? Check help - about Alpha and let me know the two numbers that are there.

There is also a help - check for new version.

I do get a problem in the field rules with the recno field.

I'm thinking that you're fighting the system too much.

Use an autoincrement field and don't name it recno. Call it record_id or something else.

Make create_date an user entered field, with a default value of date() and a skip of .t.

Make the rev_date a calculated field - date() with a skip of .t.

I think that'll make your problems go away.

Let me know if that helps.
    alb

At 05:59 PM 2/24/2005, you wrote:

Sorreeee...forgot the attach file!!!
    Al..

Thanx for your interest. I have attached the zipfile of the experimental database I was having trouble with. It is a collection of addresses.
    In case you are wondering, they are all real addresses from my Xmas card list...there really is a Puddleduck Cottage in Stubb Rd. in Hickling.

If you select the default form, do nothing else except click on "new record" button/icon, and you will get a new record, the new record will contain the data from the record with the highlighted field.

I have cleared all but one field rule, and I don't think that has anything to do with anything.

Regards
    Paul Simison..
    nnnn

Comment

Re: Maximum function -- from the documentation....

Note: This function is a report writer function, not intended for table level field rules or other expressions. While the function may perform in some areas outside of the report writer, its use there is not supported.
      There can be only one.

Comment

This is the problenm with A5. While it offers many flexibilities, little gems like the one mentioned by Stan Mathews are quietly not mentioned in the literature. The "User guide" describes this function in detail, but fails to mention it's limitations. Presumably the same applies to "minimum"...and which others???? What are these functions good for??

Paul Simison..

Comment

Paul

Here is a page for the user guide. See attached image.

I don't know how it could be more obvious. Note the yellow warning sign.

Do you have the latest user guide? The date on the first page should be 2 Feb 2005. Otherwise download from the Learning Center - Click to see latest documentation
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I'm not sure if this thread wandered or not, but I think I had the same problem Paul was describing. In a table, hitting the Ctrl-E or using the Records drop down menu, a new blank record was not being created. Overwriting the on screen data results in the record being displayed to be changed and a new record is not created.

In the field rules, I made a field auto-incrementing and A5 displayed Xbasic code in the Events tab, I assume created for the auto-increment. Although I clicked on "Delete All Rules" that Xbasic never went away. By opening the code editor and manually deleting the code then saving the changes, the problem was resolved. I now get a blank record when pressing Ctrl-E.

I am an experienced user of A5, but had never encountered this issue. Apparently, using the "Delete All Rules" menu selection doesn't quite delete ALL rules.

Comment

No...no date on the first page...or any other page, except the publication dates on the second page. Also, the writeup looks quite different in layout. Will get the latest version as suggested.

I wonder if Alpha would like my help in setting up a proper revision/status control system like the system we created at Sperry for aircraft manuals.

Paul Simison..
              nnnn

Comment

I will say this...this phorum REALLY works. Most such forums are a waste of electricity...postings simply disappear into a black hole.

Not this one!!!

Paul S..
                nnnn

Comment

I've found over the years, the Alpha user community is pretty solid. I occasionally get a response to a post I may have made months ago when someone has searched the messages and asks a question about an issue.

Fact is, this ain't Micro$oft, and that's good. Many of the posters here dedicated users, and you can often see a response to someone asking a question within a few minutes, even during business hours. Try calling M$ and getting that quick an answer.

In reference to your other message about a tracking system: send Selwyn an email. He might be interested. I'd be happy if the board here had a better search engine, but as others have said, the Alpha staff is focused on improving the product, not running a BB.

Comment

Tracking system

Who is Selwyn??

Parable...

Boeing designed the world's super airliner. It took off in a few yards, was near silent, ran on water as fuel, and required a crew of one. It could fly from continent to continent in hours less time than any competitor. The only slight problem was that it crashed every time it tried to land.

The moral of the story is...you have to do it all, or you have done nothing.

Unparable

Paul Simison..
                    nnnn

Comment

RE: Tracking system

Paul

The search of the board for the name of Selwyn will answer your question.

(He's the head of the tech side of Alpha)
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                      X