Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed

Good Morning,

I'm making a Contact list for possible potential customers.
    I'm getting the information I need from the Verizon Yellow pages site. On there site you can have a listing of 45 "possible customers" per page. So I can copy and paste 45 potential clients. I'm not sure as to what the best method would be to get them into my alpha database. As of now the best way I have found is to copy the "possible clients" and paste them into a Works database, rearrange everything into there correct fields then import them into the alpha database.

Is anyone aware of a better method??? The cutting and pasting in the works database is getting very old quick

Thanks for any advice,
    Brian

RE: Advice needed

Brian,

While the Verizon site displays 45 names per page, are you sure that there are no options on the site to download, copy to buffer, etc.? Sometimes you can find such features on sites which make copying much easier. My 2 cents.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find one. That would make my life a little to easier then the gods would stand for. Besides it probally would not help there CD sales.
      Thanks for your "2 cents".

Brian

Comment

It might be (slightly) easier to copy & paste into Excel & save as a dbf?
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I haven't seen the page you refer to, but I've done similar things like this:

Copy and paste to a Word doc, and then save as text. If you're lucky, it will approximate rows and columns, which you can import using the Import operation. The ASCII TABLE option works well (sometimes) because you can define the length of each field.

I've also created a script in which I used file.read() to read each line of the text file, and pull what I need from it. This isn't exactly easy, but it's not impossible either, and I've been able to extract data this way.

You'll still have to copy and paste, but after that you can use the operation or script to automate the rest.

If you want to pursue this and would like more info, please feel free to email me. I could get back to you sometime next week.

Comment

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if someone could take a minute to educate me. I have been copying and pasting into a Works database. I am unfamiliar with Excel. I am able to copy 45 potential clients into the database all at once but then have to move each piece of information one at a time into there correct fields,as you can imagine this gets old very quick. Especially considering I have done all of this once before and your girlfriend accidently erases it.

I noticed while copying that when I right click on the web page there is an option to export to excel. Once again, I have never used Excel before. I tried to highlight all 45 potential clients and right click to find the exporting options is not available. So as far as I can tell I would have to do 1 at a time. I was wondering as to why it is the popular opinion to use Excel over Works??? Is anyone familiar enough with Excel to know how I could use the exporting option to speed things up a bit??? Any push In the FASTER direction would be great. Below is the address I am using:
            http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listings.jsp?SRC=&STYPE=S&PG=L&CB=1&R=N&C=&CID=00000486757&cbdt=Restaurants&catID=13014&T=&S=VA&PS=45&RR=&search=Find+It

I have to first open all the "Phone" and "EMail" links.

Sorry for the length,
            Brian

Comment

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if someone could take a minute to educate me. I have been copying and pasting into a Works database. I am unfamiliar with Excel. I am able to copy 45 potential clients into the database all at once but then have to move each piece of information one at a time into there correct fields,as you can imagine this gets old very quick. Especially considering I have done all of this once before and your girlfriend accidently erases it.

I noticed while copying that when I right click on the web page there is an option to export to excel. Once again, I have never used Excel before. I tried to highlight all 45 potential clients and right click to find the exporting options is not available. So as far as I can tell I would have to do 1 at a time. I was wondering as to why it is the popular opinion to use Excel over Works??? Is anyone familiar enough with Excel to know how I could use the exporting option to speed things up a bit??? Any push In the FASTER direction would be great. Below is the address I am using:
              http://yellowpages.superpages.com/listings.jsp?SRC=&STYPE=S&PG=L&CB=1&R=N&C=&CID=00000486757&cbdt=Restaurants&catID=13014&T=&S=VA&PS=45&RR=&search=Find+It

I have to first open all the "Phone" and "EMail" links.

Sorry for the length,
              Brian

Comment

Hello Brian,

I went and took a quick look at the url and copied and pasted into a text editor (file attached). The data, at least from this quick sample, looks very well organized. I would not use any other tool except for Alpha Five and a text file that you've pasted into. IMHO, you need to write or have written for you, a relatively simple script to parse the text file and write directly into a table. Then you are only limited by your copy and paste skills :-)

Good luck,
                Jim

Comment

Good Morning,

Did I read your post correct? It would be possible to write a script to import the values from a text file in the same format as your attachment?

eg.

= Backyard Burgers
                  155 Crown Dr Danville VA 24540
                  (434) 791-3211

Backyard Grill & Bar
                  13999 Metrotech Drive Chantilly VA 20151
                  (703) 802-6400

Bad Water Bills BBQ Barn
                  33840 Old Valley Pike Strasburg VA 22657
                  (540) 465-4988

Bad Wolf Bar-B-Q
                  3005 Plantation Road Northeast Roanoke VA 24012
                  (540) 362-9095

Baganakis John
                  1509 Richmond Road Williamsburg VA 23185
                  (757) 229-7613

Above would be 5 seperate records. With fields for client,address,blah,blah,blah.

This is probally way over my head but I'd like to give it a go. Could I get a few hints as to go about it??
                  Should the records somehow be put into an array?? Any help at all I would be grateful.

BG

Comment

Working...
                  X