Alpha Video Training

Thread: Takes long time to save a transaction

Marlene Brusko

Default Takes long time to save a transaction

8 tables, 1 set in an application
    First Problem: I open the transaction form and begin entering data. Saved one -- fine. THe second or third would take over a minute to finish and then a note about updating indexes would appear. Updated indexes to no avail.
    2. Decided the tables might be corrupted. Exported, imported, new indexes, forms, field rules, etc. Number of corruptions. After about 15 hours of work, I tried entering data into transaction table again. IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.
    3. Went to default form to see if could do it there. No. Tried F9, Save from menu, Same problem. I'm at a lost and truly stuck.
    Though I am no computer expert, I have used many versions of Alpha including DOS, and have never run into a roadblock like this.
    4. The only thing that happened prior to the problem -- I downloaded some Microsoft fix prior to installing SP2 (have not installed SP2 yet).
    5. Took my application to a second computer prior to the fix I tried, and same problem there. Should I try doing export, import, etc. on second computer to see if Microsoft download is problem?
    Any other ideas. I am truly at a loss. Will be in the office all day today (Sat), but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would surely appreciate it.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

Default RE: Takes long time to save a transaction

If you have cascade deletes and changes turned on, turn it off and try entering.
    If that soesn't work, try spplying some simple troubleshooting techniques:
    Try to isolate the problem. One by one, start stripping out tables from the set and that table's fields from your form and then try entering.If it's still slow, try the same thing with a second table.If you find the culprit, you've got a better chance of getting help.

"Certified" Alphaholic G Gabriel's Avatar
    Real Name
    G. Gabriel

Are all 8 tables linkedtogether in the set?
    Gabe

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Eight tables with indexes, field rules, etc is a lot to update on each record. Unless you need all of them for data entry, you should consider simplifying the set. If some tables are for lookup only, delete them from the set and use the lookup() functions to find the values instead. Im not sure, but this link may help.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?num=7&id=675&loc=0&offset=0&sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&thread=675

Marlene Brusko

yes

"Certified" Alphaholic G Gabriel's Avatar
    Real Name
    G. Gabriel

Marlene:
    I am afraid You asked for trouble and unfortunately, you got it!
    To link 8 tables in a set is simply asking for trouble, particularly as the tables get bigger and bigger!
    Sorry, I wish I had a better answer, but I think you need to rethink your set structure and simplify it as much as you can!
    I posted a simillar thread not long ago under "Maybe this is too much to ask", you might want to review it and as you will find, I received no helpful answers!
    Gabe