Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Weird duplicate files suddenly appear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird duplicate files suddenly appear...

Hello All

...when I play with the database properties. For example when I change my database to have a startup form, and specify to hide the control panel, then run the application, then change the database properties back, I notice under the tables,forms,browse,code, etc tabs that all my files are duplicated with the same name.

Who is this possible and why does this happen? It is impossible to intentionally have 2 files with the exact same name in the same directory, yet alpha five does this
    when you play with database properties!

Thanks in Advance

The Frustrated One

RE: Weird duplicate files suddenly appear...

"It is impossible to intentionally have 2 files with the exact same name in the same directory" - it is also impossible to unintentionally do this. Not allowed by dos or windows. Check the tables and sets tab and double check the full name. You will likely find that the duplicates are in different directories.

How it happened is another matter. It is possible to create an operation to save a summary table to a certain place, then edit the operation to save it to a different place. The edited operation does not remove the first instance of the summary table.

Without looking at your application it will be impossible to tell what is awry.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hello Stan

I can assure you that I'm not trying anything to fancy at my stage in A5. It has happend twice now and you are correct it does seem to throw the duplicates in another directory for some reason?

I don't even know what a summary table is, and maybe this is my problem. (LOL)

Newt

Comment

Stan & Newton

What Stan stated above is 99.9% correct, however, Stan I just did this in V4.5 You can create a from from a single
        dbf file and name it "Stan" and create another one from a set and name it "Stan" and from looking from the control
        panel it appears to be a duplicate and I have inadverently deleted one because I though it was a duplicate. Maybe this doesn't happen in v5.0 and above, but it has happened to me quite a few times.

Jerry

Comment

In my terminology a form is not a file.

I agree you can have multiple forms with the same name attached to separate tables. You can have multiple tables with the same name, in different directories. You can have multiple layouts with the same name attached to the same table, as long as they are different types of layouts.

You and I cannot create a new file in a directory with the same name as an existing file. I would not put it past Ira's abilities, but that's a different story.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
          There can be only one.

Comment

I was reading the post to mean that tables were being duplicated/recreated (in what he thought was the same directory but turns out not to be) with the result that there were multiple support files and multiple copies of the forms, etc (defined in those support files) were visible.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan

What may be happening is that the computer is configured to hide known extensions in My computer and Windows Explorer. Since dbf and cdx files are typically known extensions, it is possible that it appears there are two identical files. This is a common situation and is confusing. Personally, I find the Mickeysoft default to hide extensions dumb at best and always turn it off. If the user deletes the "duplicate", the program will recreate all of the required files for a table (cdx, ddm, ddd, ddx) when the program loads and they may appear as duplicates.

Jerry

Comment

Point taken, didn't consider that. Turned off that setting long ago.
                There can be only one.

Comment

So How do I turn off these settings in windows XP?

Newt

Comment

Open windows explorer or my computer, find the tools menu, folder options, view tab, uncheck "Hide extensions ....."
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks for the direction Stan I now have my extensions showing so when Alpha % auto generates duplicate files I'll be better able to understand it.

Newt.

Comment

Jerry

I prefer to have the control panel in view details mode so the name of the table/set that an object is based on is visible.

Of course you can have a table with the same name as a set, but only one pair and that should be avoided as a best practices procedure.

See attached image of detail view.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hello Al

I have switched A5 to the detail view and can now see and confirm that all my forms,scripts,tables,browses are all in the same directory. Which is something I was concerned about re: Program s not found when the control panel is hidden.

Since the entire project is located in the same directory, I do not understand why the application faulters when the control panel is hidden?

This is reference to another thread about control panel.

Thanks

Newt

Comment

As suggested by Peter, you need to post some actual code or the entire database. Too many things are happening and it's too difficult to explain your situation without the actual code.
                            Al Buchholz
                            Bookwood Systems, LTD
                            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                            X