Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

combo box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

combo box

OK - the action scripting example was what I was looking for and it worked. Now, however, I'm stuck on the combo box and I can't find an action scripting scenario to make it work like the example in AlphaSports on the customer form...I have tried for hours to figure out how to modify the xbasic without any success and I can't figure out what type of an action is called for to make the searchby variable bring up the appropriate fields in the browse when I change the searchby field in the combo box. It just does not work for me. For some reason the properties change to a table other than the one I specify - which makes the fields different and this prevents me from even seeing if the xbasic attempts are even close.

Many A5vers have told me that most operations can be done without a knowledge of xbasic. But the tutorial on this one does not show the action scripting sequence.

I've looked thru the Introduction to action scripting for an example....but I haven't found that one. The instructions in the Design notes in AlphaSports just say what the combo box does and shows me the xbasic and I've been unable to correctly modify it to do the action in my app. I get error messages to the effect that the searchby can't find the text....welll....I have no idea what to do at this point because I don't have an example to follow in the action scripting and don't know enough to interpolate the right moves ... any suggestions will be helpful.

RE: combo box

Lanny,

I discussed this for you in the other (VAR) thread.

""The OnChange Event of the vcSearchBy listbox changes the "field" displayed in the one column browse object on the form. This is accomplished using the calc field defined in the form. (Form / Calculated fields). The browse doesn't actually display different fields... it displays the calc field each time. It's the OnChange event of the vcSearchBy listbox that changes the value in the Calc field. A sort of sleight of hand trick that's hard for folks to see sometimes.""

-- t

Comment

Thanks, Tom. I'll see if I can work thru that.

Comment

Lanny,

The browse object does not display any table fields. The one column it displays is the form level calculated field.

Select any column that's in your browse now. Right click and choose delete column to delete it from the browse object. Then use the View / Drag Drop List to "drag" the Calc field into the Browse.

As I've said before... you've picked a form to replicate that has a number of complex (advanced) features.

-- t

Comment

Well, I screwed that up and now what I had that was working is kaput on the whole browse. I dragged the calc field in and the browse listed searchby.text on every line in the design mode...and in the regular mode. Will try to wade thru the entire browse embed and multistate button - which worked great - thing again. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

I got the browse functioning again with the multistate button but although I read your instructions, I'm not getting the expected results. I doubt that the calc field is correct but I'm confused to the point now that I'm no longer sure what the calc field definition should be...I have a calc field in that browse creates the fullname field from the first and last names...but I have no other calc fields configured. But what happened last time was that the calc field replicated the searchby.text somehow....I am convinced that this is complex, but I figured if it was in a tutorial, there might be a way for a learner to copy it from the tutorial somehow.

Comment

I'm have no idea why this is happening, but in the properties area choices tab where the selection is computed automatically and the selection is field list and I select the table upon which the browse is base, the program keeps switching to another table - which of course has none of the fields in the field list and I get the resultant error message that searchby.text not found...is there any way to lock in the table I select?

Comment

Working...
              X