Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Email attachment in subdir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email attachment in subdir

I want to send a table (car.dbf) as attachment. The table is in a subdirectory of the database (\to_send)
    This means that the table I want to send (car.dbf) is
    in folder "E:\Alpha5_appl\test\to_send" (a subfolder of the application)

Results:

1) with partial path:
    table.send("\to_send\test2","","CDP",.f.,.t.,.t.) gives-"
    ERROR: Cannot send table. Table 'E:\Alpha5_appl\test\car.DBF' not found.
    (there is no trace of the subdirectory 'to_send' in the error printed by A5)

2) with full path:

table.send("E:\Alpha5_appl\test\to_send\test2","","CDP",.f.,.t.,.t.) gives -"
    ERROR: Cannot send table. Table 'E:\Alpha5_appl\test\car.DBF' not found.
    (Here also, there is no trace of the subdirectory 'to_send' in the error printed by A5)

In the Apha five xbasic manual I read: If the table specified by "tablename" is in the current database, it is not necessary to specify the full drive and path.
    So I suppose if I specify the full path it should work... ;(

This happens in:

Alpha Five V5.0 build 1506, system Addins build 1058 and
    Alpha Five V6.0 build 1532, system Addins build 2003 (not the latest one)

Is this a program error or am I missing something?

Tassos

RE: Email attachment in subdir

There was a mistake in my transcript in the following lines:
    table.send("\to_send\test2","","CDP",.f.,.t.,.t.) gives-"

the "test2" should of course be "car" as follows:
    table.send("\to_send\car","","CDP",.f.,.t.,.t.) gives-"

Thank you
    Tassos

Comment

Try this....
      Code:
      table.send("E:\Alpha5_appl\test\to_send\test2[b].dbf[/b]","","CDP",.f.,.t.,.t.)
      There is no way that this would work, since you are telling A5 to look for a file called test2 in the ROOT of the current drive:
      Code:
      table.send("\test\to_send\test2","","CDP",.f.,.t.,.t.)

For more information look at the help for Table.Send()
      Aaron Brown
      Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Aaron,

I still can not figure out what I'm doing wrongly.
        if the table is in the same dir as the application, it is Ok
        but if I move the table in the subdir of the application then I get the error.
        I'm attaching you some screenshots of the directories involved and also the test appl.
        Of course I can always bypass this way and copy my file in the appl. dir, but I wonder what error I'm doing.

The program runs under window 2000 (server edition)

Thank you very much for your time.
        Tassos

Comment

How did you create the test table? I see you have

test2.dbf
          test.ddd
          test.ddm
          test.ddx

Where are test.dbf and test2.ddd, test2.ddm, test2.ddx? It appears that you tried to rename just the .dbf file through windows explorer or something.

You cannot simply rename the dbf file by itself and expect everything to behave normally. To rename a table, right click on it in alpha five and choose 'rename.' Get rid of these garbage tables, create a new test table with alpha five and try again. If it still doesn't work, let me know.
          Aaron Brown
          Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Thank you very much for your guidance.
            I trace my error back to the following error:

I use the a_tbl.copy() in xbasic to create a new table
            for selected records:

copy.set = ""
            copy.db = weg+chr(92)+"to_office"+chr(92)+nom_file1
            copy.dd = .F.
            copy.delete_o_dd = .T.
            copy.records = .T.
            copy.fields = 138
            copy.field1 = "Trip_Code"
            copy.field2 = "Trip_Nr"
            copy.field3 = "Leg_Nr"

copy.field138 = "L6"
            a_tbl.copy()

Now, this creates the table correctly in the selected directory,
            BUT of course this will not load (or import the table in the database)
            (this means that it is not shown in the control panel under Tables/sets of this database)

Therefore I should not use the table.send() command, unless I first add this new table to the database.

Instead using the email_client() command will work.

Am I correct to state that:
            An exported Table isn't anymore a table but just a file, as it doesn't belongs to the database anymore.

thanks,
            Tassos

PS. As you probably know, I am living in Athens(Greece) from where I write you all these emails. So If you or any of your staff ever happens to pass, pls let me know.

Comment

Working...
            X