Alpha Video Training
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: disappearing look up value

  1. #1
    Member
    Real Name
    Fred Sides
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    54

    Default disappearing look up value

    I have a form based on the set 'PEOPLE' 1-"many with 'CROSSES' which is 1"-"1 with 'GROUPS'. 'CROSSES' contains the fields 'peoplenumber' and 'peoplename' which are being looked up from 'PEOPLE' and 'groupnumber' and 'groupname' which are being looked up from 'GROUPS'. (I know this is not optimum design, but it suits the particular purpose.) When I add a new record to 'CROSSES' through an embedded browse associated with a 'PEOPLE' form, 'peoplename' is not being populated but the other 3 fields are.

    Both sets are field rule table lookups, both PEOPLE and GROUPS fields are being done in one process apiece (source-fill source-fill on the corresponding number field tab in 'CROSSES').

    Data types are consistent, field sizes the same throughout. 'Peoplename' is a calculated field, but I got the same result when I substituted other, like fields in the same table.

    Any thoughts as to why the one field might not be cooperating?

    Many thanks for your efforts.

  2. #2
    "Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    23,311

    Default RE: disappearing look up value

    Fred,

    When a new grandchild record is entered, Alpha will autofill the link field value if the record is being entered in a form based on the set. It will not autofill the linkfield value connecting the current child table record to the current parent table. Data entry occurs table by table. You're not entering a new "set" record.

    -- tom

  3. #3
    Member
    Real Name
    Fred Sides
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    54

    Default RE: disappearing look up value

    To me, it seems that my 2 lookups are the same, 1) looks up 'groupnumber' and 'groupname' from GROUPS based on the value in 'groupnumber' and returns both, 2) looks up 'peoplenumber' and 'peoplename' from PEOPLE based on the value in 'peoplenumber' but returns only 'peoplenumber'.

    Any suggestions as to how I might accomplish retrieving the 'peoplename' value. I've tried event coding for the embedded browse setting crosses-"peoplename=people-"peoplename in 'oninit' to no avail.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Disappearing Data
    By Paul DeLosa in forum Alpha Five Version 5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 02:31 AM
  2. The disappearing act
    By Jim Lightburn in forum Alpha Five Version 5
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
  3. The disappearing A4V7
    By Joan Hannan in forum Alpha Four Versions 7 and 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 02:26 PM
  4. Disappearing Scripts
    By Barry Shadduck in forum Alpha Five Version 4
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-26-2002, 08:26 AM
  5. disappearing data
    By Josie Wendell in forum Alpha Four Version 6 and Prior
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2001, 07:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •