Alpha Video Training

Thread: disappearing look up value

Real Name
    Fred Sides

Default disappearing look up value

I have a form based on the set 'PEOPLE' 1-"many with 'CROSSES' which is 1"-"1 with 'GROUPS'. 'CROSSES' contains the fields 'peoplenumber' and 'peoplename' which are being looked up from 'PEOPLE' and 'groupnumber' and 'groupname' which are being looked up from 'GROUPS'. (I know this is not optimum design, but it suits the particular purpose.) When I add a new record to 'CROSSES' through an embedded browse associated with a 'PEOPLE' form, 'peoplename' is not being populated but the other 3 fields are.

Both sets are field rule table lookups, both PEOPLE and GROUPS fields are being done in one process apiece (source-fill source-fill on the corresponding number field tab in 'CROSSES').

Data types are consistent, field sizes the same throughout. 'Peoplename' is a calculated field, but I got the same result when I substituted other, like fields in the same table.

Any thoughts as to why the one field might not be cooperating?

Many thanks for your efforts.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: disappearing look up value

Fred,

When a new grandchild record is entered, Alpha will autofill the link field value if the record is being entered in a form based on the set. It will not autofill the linkfield value connecting the current child table record to the current parent table. Data entry occurs table by table. You're not entering a new "set" record.

-- tom

Real Name
    Fred Sides

Default RE: disappearing look up value

To me, it seems that my 2 lookups are the same, 1) looks up 'groupnumber' and 'groupname' from GROUPS based on the value in 'groupnumber' and returns both, 2) looks up 'peoplenumber' and 'peoplename' from PEOPLE based on the value in 'peoplenumber' but returns only 'peoplenumber'.

Any suggestions as to how I might accomplish retrieving the 'peoplename' value. I've tried event coding for the embedded browse setting crosses-"peoplename=people-"peoplename in 'oninit' to no avail.

Thanks.