Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Child records shown as form - Not browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child records shown as form - Not browse

Can someone advise please.

Instead of showing child records as a browse I wish to show the records as a form with an indication of how many records are available. eg

Record 1 of say 200 records with arrow format to progress through the other records.

Thanks in anticipation
    Robert

RE: Child records shown as form - Not browse

Is your form going to be based on the child table standing alone, or is it going to be based on the set ?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

The form will be based on a set with a one to many link to a child table and a further one to many link to a grandchild table.

the set is made up of a primary SITE table with information about a particular site. The CHILD table will information concerning electricity meters and each site can have more than one meter. The GRANDCHILD table will have invoice information about each meter.

Therefore as I scroll through each site I wish to see meter displayed as say " 1 of 3 meters" with scroll arrows to reveal eachmeter in turn with corresponding invoice information for each meter.

I believe the scroll arrows can be created with ready formatted buttons but the 1 fo 3 part has me thinking.

Thanks for responding look forward to follow up.

Robert

Comment

Robert,

I'm not certain such a thing can be created. If it can, it won't be easy.

You can use dbcount() or tablecount() to compute the number of linked child table records. Dbcount() is faster but requires a permanent index. You'll need to include a filter expression with either to limit the range being counted to the current link field key value.

You'll need a navigation button to advance (or retreat) through the child table records. These could be used to increment or decrement the 'current' child record position. The button push scripts can use "tbl".fetch_eof() to test whether the user is at the beginning or end of the linked child table records, provided the tbl pointer is established for the current instance of the child table. i.e. tbl = table.current(2) (assuming child is in slot 2).

You won't be able to use the navigation buttons on the toolbar since they'll be tied to the primary table's record pointer.

How about posting an example for the rest of us once you get it going ?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for yuor response. Since I'm new to Alpha I'll have to read a bit more to familiarise myself with your suggestions. Page 211 of "Getting started with Alpha 5" seems to provide me with the solution for the forward and back buttons. i.e Pre defined buttons - Records - Previous, Pre defined buttons - Records - Next.

I'll give your suggestions a try. If I fail I'll just have to make do with a small browse reformatted - a bit contrived through and cumbersome.

Ah well, a bit late here in Scotland - I'll try tomorrow.

Thank you for all your help
          Robert

Comment

Seems simple enough. Just create a set linking the electricity data table to the invoice data table. Create a form with two browses based on this set: One browse showing the parent data (electricity) and the second showing the child data (Invoice data).

Create a second form based on the site table only, with a button to run a query based on the displayed key information from the site form that opens the form based on the set first described above.

Comment

Steve,

I understand what you are saying and the same effect is achieved when forming a default form based on the Site/Meter/Invoice set i.e Form/browsemeter/browseinvoice. The effect being for example on a site with 2 meters I would tab down to 2nd record in Browse meter to see relevant information in browse Invoice. I was really trying to do away with the 2nd browse as it appeared cumbersome.
              I tried to attach a file showing the form layout prepared using Access but wouldn't attach???

Thanks again Robert

Comment

OOPS! It appears the screen dump did attach.
                This is the form in ACCESS that I am trying to recreate in Alpha 5.
                The arrows etc at the bottom indicate
                1 of 525 sites
                1 of 1 meter
                1 of 1 invoice

In access I go to 1 of 1 meter and scroll to next meter(If more than 1)

File attached again

Comment

Attached is attempt to build similar screen in Alpha with the offending? browse in upper rt corner of tabbed form

Comment

Working...
                  X