Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Opening form from selected recorded on browser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening form from selected recorded on browser.

I am from the world of Clarion (4GL RAD) which apps, are mainly driven from a browser list. When double clicking on a selected record on the browser you would open the editable form for that record. Can this be done in Alpha Five.

Thanks
    Bob Giordano

RE: Opening form from selected recorded on browser

Yes, a browse has an "onrowdblclick" event. You need to code this event to open the desired form.

If you like I could post a sample.
    There can be only one.

Comment

I would appreciate that very much.
      Thank you
      Bob

Comment

Unzip the attachment outside of your development location, Open the database "frmbrws", open form1, double click on a row in the displayed browse.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you Stan for your time and the example.

Bob

Comment

Hi Stan
            When I double click on the record, form2 opens up and I can edit it with no problems. I see how you did this.
            But all the other records disapear. I have to close alpha and restart it to get all the records back. I am using Alpha Five Version with 2007 patch?

Thanks Bob

Comment

Bob,

Myabe you have the HOME version? I'm not familiar with the differences. The full version is at build 1506 addins 1058.

If you understand how the process is accomplished, try creating the same thing in a new database or in your own work.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Bob,

Stan's example uses an Action Scripting command that runs a query against the table supporting Form2. This causes the form to only show the record corresponding to the row in the browse object on Form1. You can see this if you double click on a row, and then close both forms. When you open the table in the control panel you'll see that the table has been filtered and it's necessary to release the filter (Show All) to "see" the remaining records in the table.

In essence Stan's example does this:
                1) open Form2
                2) Using the current ID field value as the search key run a query against the table supporting Form2
                3) show Form2 to the user

I've modified his example to show you another approach, using this sequence:
                1) get the current ID
                2) open Form2 hidden, and set it's display order to ID
                3) do a find by key against Form2 using the current ID as the search key
                4) show the form to the user

To do this I also created an index on the table based on the ID field. An index is required in order to use find by key.

My example is attached. Unzip and extract its contents to an empty folder.

-- tom

Comment

Clever Tom, you could also add an action scripting "Show All" to the onactivate event of form1, depending on the desired behavior.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Tom,
                    This works great, is their a way to force a refresh on the
                    browser without clicking it.

Comment

Just so my meaning is not accidentally misinterpreted, note the extra comma.

Clever, Tom, you could also add an action scripting "Show All" to the onactivate event of form1, depending on the desired behavior.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Since Form1 is still open, you could put an action script in a form level event in Form2 to refresh the browse in Form1 as the second form is closing.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks, Stan.

Actually this is how I prefer to do it even when I don't want the user to be able to navigate away from the 'current' record in Form2. I figure it's faster since it uses an available index, and I don't have to run a tablewide query. Navigation is restricted in the called form using form properties that are set after the find by key does it's thing. Works quite well.

-- tom

Comment

Thank you guys for all your help!

Bob

Comment

Tom,

Thank you for the insight into the flexibility and it seems endless possibilities available in Alpha. Following on from the doubleclick browser to open form is it possible to take this forward and print the form presented or would I have to go back to preparing an identical report and selecting criteria to mirror the form produced from the double clicking.

Still trying to get my head round Alpha's way - as I say the possibilities seem endless just need to find best routes to easiest solutions.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X