New call-to-action

Thread: MISSING A .CDX FILE

Real Name
    Rawlings

Default MISSING A .CDX FILE

Hi All,
    There was a topic yesterday on corrupted index which I replied to & got a very good advice from Jerry Brightbill on this issue. I checked out my entire application to find out why A5 continues to report an error [not an open index] when I run an append operation that uses an index attached a table as a filter. I came to find out that the .cdx file associated with the table has dissappeared without a trace. There is no variable associated with the one index in this file & the index name is only ten(10) characters long. What will cause a .cdx file to disappear. I had thought that dropping an index means removing the index name from the .cdx file not actually deleting the .cdx file from the application. Please any advice on how to prevent this from happening again will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RAWLINGS

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default RE: MISSING A .CDX FILE

"I had thought that dropping an index means removing the index name from the .cdx file not actually deleting the .cdx file from the application."

I just experimented and found that if you delete the only defined tag from a .cdx file, the .cdx is removed as well. Is this what you are seeing?

Real Name
    Rawlings

Hi Stan,
    If the index was dropped that resulted in the missing .cdx file, I still don't know while it was dropped in the first place. I did not use any variable when creating the index and there is no variable associated with this index in any way. This is a mystery to me. Any ideas. Thanks.

RAWLINGS

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Rawlings,

If an indextag cannot be evaluated by Alpha Five when records are entered or changed by the user, Alpha will drop the indextag automatically. I gather from the earlier posts in this thread that if the 'last' indextag is dropped the CDX file will be deleted, too. -- tom