Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

search returning incorrect results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

search returning incorrect results

OK, I am sure this is another blonde moment, but I prefer to be blonde than bald ...

I have created a search by company that works great. It returns only values in the company field of my table. I have taken this same code and changed the company field information to my last_name field for a last name search.

What I get in my list box is the first name and last name but the search is by first name. Below is the code I am using and nowhere do I even mention the first name. Where is Alpha pulling that from?

I should be getting: Johnson instead I get John LastName

I have created both the company and last name searches via a button on a form. I have used the OnPush event for each button with xbasic. Below is the code used for my last_name search.

Why am I getting the first name + last name? What am I missing here?

Thanks
    Cheryl

'Date Created: 03-Aug-2004 06:30:48 PM
    'Last Updated: 03-Aug-2004 06:37:14 PM
    'Created By :
    'Updated By :
    'Print invoices based on last name
    filter = " (Last_Name = [varC-"prms.Parameter1] )"
    get_parameters_string = ""%string%
    Parameter1|Last_Name|Character|Record List-Combo Box||"table_name="t_inv""\cr\lf"field_name="Last_Name""\cr\lf"filter="""\cr\lf
    %string%
    ok_label = "&OK"
    cancel_label = "&Cancel"
    dialog_title = "Parameters"

'Prompt for parameter values. Store results in a 'dot' variable called 'prms'
    dim prms as p
    prms = ui_get_parameters(dialog_title,get_parameters_string,ok_label,cancel_label)

if prms.last_button_pressed = "OK" then
    'Replace parameters in the filter with actual values
    query.filter = replace_parameters(filter,local_variables())

query.order = ""
    else
    end
    end if

'Prompt user whether to print, or preview the layout. Set default to Preview
    prompt_result = ui_get_print_or_preview("Preview")
    If prompt_result = "Print" then

:Report.Print("r_invoice",query.filter,query.order)

Else if prompt_result = "Preview" then
    :Report.Preview("r_invoice",query.filter,query.order)
    End if
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

RE: search returning incorrect results

OK, I have made a copy of the t_inv table to t_inv_copy and deleted most of the records so that I could zip up the database and upload it here (the orig was well over 1MB zipped)

I have checked all field rules, operations, code, reports, forms, tables, etc, etc, etc ... and I am unable to determine why I am getting first name + last name in my search of invoices by last name.

The form ... print_reports_copy I have 4 buttons. They all basically do the same thing, prompt the user for input and then preview the invoice report based on that filter.

The company, invoice number, and customer ID searches all work correctly. The last name search is not giving me my prompt based on the last name.

There is nowhere in this database that I can find that tells Alpha to search based on first name + last name. Can anybody please help????

Thanks
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

OK, I have this working now ... however, I have NO CLUE as to why this is a problem.

I remembered when I created the first search form (currently on design 3, LOL) that the last name search worked correctly ... so I went to that backup and looked at the search in that button. That search was using the t_cust table and not the t_inv table.

So I changed the table in this form to t_cust and the last name search is working as it should now. Can somebody please explain to me why it works using the cust table and not the inv table? The last name in both tables, structure and field rules are exactly the same.

There is one diff in the t_inv table, the last name field is auto populated based on the cust_id field using a lookup. I do NOT think this would have anything to do with it because the COMPANY field is also auto populated the same exact way in the t_inv table and that search works fine using t_inv and not t_cust.

Does anybody have any rhyme or reason to this?

Thanks
      Cheryl
      Cheryl
      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Which table is the report based on? If it's not the same table you're running the query against, that could explain what you're seeing I suppose.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

The report is based on the t_inv table only. I have not created any sets and the only form right now is this one.

Cheryl
          Cheryl
          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

OK, here I go again with egg on my face. First I have to give Tom a great big thanks for taking the time to look at my files and help determine why I was getting the results I was getting with my original search.

It turns out that the search results were completely ACCURATE. This application began with two tables, customer and invoice, which were developed in AlphaFour V2. The client wanted to upgrade to AlphaFive V5 but he wanted it to look and feel exactly like what he had been using for 10+ years.

I made an ASSUMPTION ... and yes ... it made an A** out of me, not you though hehehe ... What I did not realize at the time was that the client's original design did NOT allow him to add records to the customer table during invoice data entry. Therefore if a customer did not already exist he would just manually enter the information in the invoice table. As a result ... there are a multitude of records in the invoice table that have last_name/first_name information that cannot be found in the customer table.

When the client entered records into the customer table, he used the fields as they were designed. When he entered information into the invoice table, he did not. He entered first and last names in the last name field leaving the first name field blank. The field names are no indication of the content of the records in that field.

My search results appeared to be taking data from the first name field and concatenating it with the data from the last name field ... sorting in first name order. This was simply an OPTICAL ILLUSION. The search results of J.Smith or Joan Adams are exactly the data as it was entered in the last_name field.
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Working...
            X