Alpha Video Training

Thread: Question about effect of shadow database

Roberta Stack

Default Question about effect of shadow database

Just installed the application on our server, set up the users as network optimized with shadow data bases. I understand the shadow is a copy of the forms, layouts, etc. But I have two questions -- (1) When one is running a shadow data base from their own computer, is it working with the live data on the server? or has the data itself also been downloaded to the individual computer? I need to be sure everyone is always working from the same data, which is on the server. (2) Is there a setting or automatic safeguard which would prevent two people from making changes to the same record at the same time? I know this is a setting in Access, locking others out of a record while someone else is actively revising that record. I.e., could we lose someone's changes to a record because of simultaneous access? I haven't been able to find any reference to such a setting. Help?

Real Name
    Steve Workings

Default RE: Question about effect of shadow database

(1) Everyone's working with the same copy of data on the server

(2) A5 employes a record-locking system that prevents two people from editing the same record at the same time. You can try this out by going to one workstation, making a change to a record, but not saving it. Then go to another workstation, find the record, and try to make a change.

- Steve

Roberta Stack

Default RE: Question about effect of shadow database

Thanks so much for your quick reply. This is the first time I've been using this application on a server -- first time it's been more than just me using it -- and I needed reassurance on these two questions. Thanks!
    So here's another example of the clumsiness of Access -- I had to specifically set it to prevent simultaneous revisions to records -- and Alpha Five does it as a matter of course. Great!