Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Does Alpha Five have a viewer so that you can copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Alpha Five have a viewer so that you can copy

the database to a cd so others can view it? How do you make that happen? thanks!

RE: Does Alpha Five have a viewer so that you can

Donna

Alpha 5 has a runtime that allows users to look at and maintain a database (if the developer defines it). The Alpha files must reside on a read/write device, so a read only cd is not an option.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Another option might be to have the database on a web server and have the information available over the web.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Well, as usual, my boss has waited for the last minute before some big meeting to let me know he wants to be able to bring the image database I created with him. He can bring his laptop, but there are 3940 entries where I used an image reference rather than embedding the photos into the database. We do have licenses and run time and I can download Alpha Five to the laptop, but since the reference points to the files on our server, I'm not sure how I can transfer those files over to the laptop. He wants to be able to access the image database and pull up photos with the descriptions on his laptop at the meeting. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comment

If I remember correctly,the image reference locations are hard coded in Alpha.Let's assume they are all in a network folder like f:\images.You would have have an f:\images folder on the laptop with all the images.I'm not sure if you could map your c-drive as an f-drive, but you could have an autoexec.bat file on the root of his c-drive with the following:
        SUBST F: C:\
        If the path isn't hard-coded as I believe, then establishing an F-drive is not necessary.

Comment

Luckily when I copied the folder over, the reference path automatically changed to c: thank God! What a relief! :)

Comment

Not necessarily relevant to Marie's problem (which is already solved anyway), but whenever I use images in A5, on a form, report or whatever, I keep them all in a sub-folder of the database folder, such as:
            C:\data "--where the database resides
            C:\data\images "--all graphics go here, additional sub-folers are fine

Then after I put the image on the form and Alpha shows the full path as "C:\data\images\whatever.jpg", I delete everything before the i. So the above would now read "images\whatever.jpg". Now the database can be relocated to a totally different path and the graphics will still work, as long as the subfolders are moved too.

I do the same for Document fields... keep a documents subfolder and reference the path with :a5.current_path()+chr(92)+field (syntax may not be correct, but you get the idea)

Bob

Comment

Don't forget the aliases feature. I have an image application on two machines. It is on C on one machine and D on the other. I set up aliases for the folders holding the images on both machines and the transfer is seemless. The image file references convert.

Bill
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I know you have solved it but assuming that you were running Win 2000 or XP on the Laptop you could have resoloved the problem by installing the database on the laptop, connecting to the server via a share and then making the the directory where the images are held 'avaiable offline'

This would have resulted in the OS copying the image files to the laptop when it was disconnected from the network and the laptop 'thinking' that the share was still there when it restarted.

.dbf files and .mdb files are by default exempt from being made avaailable offline but there are way round this via the registry.

Ta

John

Comment

Working...
                X