Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Memo fields in an audit trail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memo fields in an audit trail.

The audit trail that I'm preparing writes any character, number or date fields that change to an audit table. Memo fields are a bit more of a problem - I can't figure out how to detect changes to a Memo field.

The built-in Addin.run("audit_trail") feature doesn't seem to log changes to Memo fields either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

RE: Memo fields in an audit trail.

Have you considered comparing the text when the record pointer leaves the record with the text in the memo field when focus arrives at the record?

-- tom

Comment

Hi,

Instead of an audit trail, I just don't allow edits to my memo field (in a clinical drug trials database). I have the memo field disabled and a button on top of the little pencil icon that plays an action script. The action script displays an xdialog message box (multi-line text box) and the user's input is written to a variable. The second action in the script writes the input in the variable to the end of the current memo field along with a message stating that it was updated on a particular date by that user. Then the 3rd action of the script saves the record. So basically, only information can be added to the end of the memo. The memo cannot be edited in any other way, it can only be added to.

This may not be what you have in mind, but it is the perfect solution for me. If corrections need to be made due to an error in the memo field, the user must explicitly state that they are correcting some misinformation in the memo (which is the way it should be done in a clinical drug trial anyway).

Robin

Comment

Hi Robin:

I work for a small medical device CRO as a clinical database programmer and have taken a recent interest in Alpha 5. We've recently purchased a SAS-based vendor solution for data management and have been moving away from Access. However, we still have the need for some custom programming to accomplish related tasks, and compliance may still be an issue with these. I am curious to hear about your experience with Alpha, particularly as it relates to 21 CFR Part 11 compliance issues. This thread mentions an audit trail add-in. Does this feature apply to all field changes (except memo)? Have you found it easy/difficult to adapt Alpha to the clinical environment?

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

I am a pharmacist working in an Investigational Pharmacy, so my database application is basically for keeping inventory records for investigational agents.
          Alpha 5 version 5 is extremely easy to use and to learn programming with. A lot of what I have done could not have been accomplished with Access (at least not on my own).

I don't allow any edits to my database for the inventory keeping. All corrections of the data require new entries, rather than modification of the existing data. So I don't know that much about the audit trail feature. Meeting some of the government requirements for electronic record keeping can be difficult, but it is certainly doable with Alpha 5. If you have specific questions, feel free to email me and I will try to answer your questions as to how I handle CFR 21 requirements. Also, you may be aware that there is a Guidance Document from DHHS for Computerized Systems Used in Clinical Trials (http://www.fda.gov/ora/compliance_ref/bimo/ffinalcct.pdf).

Best regards,
          Robin Sculthorpe

Comment

Thanks Robin, that solution works perfectly.

Comment

This is a great solution to what I want to do as well but I ran into a little snag along the way.

As I was creating the script using action scripting, at the 2nd action where I wanted to use the "Add text to Memo Field", I get a "Object Name not valid" error. I am only selecting from the drop down box of the genie so I can't figure out the error. The object I am selecting is a memo field.

Any thoughts on what I am missing?

Comment

Hi,

What is your memo field named? From what I understand from this forum, it is probably not a good practice to name a memo field "memo".

If that's not the problem, I don't know what it might be. If you could zip up your database and put it here on the forum, someone may be able to figure it out.

Best regards,
                Robin

Comment

Thanks but no, I did not leave the name of the memo field as "memo".

In as much as I would like to show something, there's nothing to zip that would illustrate the problem. The problem is I can't proceed with the script I am trying to create.

This is how I wanted the script to be for a button's OnPush event:

Display an Xdialog box
                  Add text to Memo field (to insert the text from the dialog box to the memo field)

The latter is the part where I run into the problem. Following the action scripting, I select the form from the drop down list then I try to select the memo field from another drop down list. This is when I get the "Object name not valid" error! So no script.

(Heavy sigh.)

Comment

Working...
                  X