Alpha Video Training

Thread: alpha 5 software problem

Joe Gratzle

Default alpha 5 software problem

Hi
    I have had this problem every since alpha was first realeased. I figured out how to work around but though I would take time to report.

(1) If you change to an index but the resulting seach has no records then you can not get out of that index untill you save a record based on the index you had selected. Example index for record where count is 5. no records found. you will have to save the blank record to have a 5 in the count field just so you can choose one of your other indexes. then erase the unwanted saved record.

(2) When editing a record in the browse mode the delete key will not always work. But you can get ahead of the value you want to delete and backspace it away.

(3) The (Ctrl + V)copy paste feature works very difficult. You must hold it down a long time to actually paste and then if not careful it will paste multiple times.

I though these things might get fixed with updates but I have all the updates and this still how to make it work.

Just thought you would like to know.

Joe

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: alpha 5 software problem

Joe,

Not sure I understand the issue. If you've had this problem since Alpha was first released (back in the DOS days?), why didn't you say something sooner?

"""Example index for record where count is 5. no records found""" I suspect you've got something not wired quite right. How can the record count show 5 when there are no records?

"""When editing a record in the browse mode the delete key will not always work.""" Are you sure there are no other issues affecting this? Why do you go to a browse mode to edit a record? What's wrong with usisng the form? That said, I have not only had problems with the delete key but other keys as well. In everyinstance, there was a 'popup commercial' hiding behind a form or whatever. The problem wasn't Alpha.

"""The (Ctrl + V)copy paste feature works very difficult"""
    Huh? Ctrl+V only pastes, it doesn't copy, Ctrl+C is the copy command.

I really don't think this is an alpha problem or others would have mentioned it years ago.

Do these same problems occur in AlphaSports as well? Do you have the latest build? Do you perform a database compact on a regular basis?

kenn

Joe Gratzle

Hi Ken
    Sorry I didn't say anything sooner. I had figure out the work around and just got busy.

If you have Database, If you have index, If you choose index and there are no records which match index. Then alpha 5 gets locked into a browse showing blank record and will not let you select a different index until you save a lest one record that satisfy the index. It is no problem if you can remember which index you are in. Example saving a record with 5 in your field called count will now satisfy the index matching all records with the count of five. I use indexes to seperate which records show in the browers then run reports which print off those records.

I do all my work in the browse mode. I never used the raw data. Both Ctrl + C & Ctrl + V work with difficulty. Then sometimes after you have used Ctrl + C then Ctrl + V will take you to the first record in the database. I have learned how to work around these things. I figured it never happens to anyone else so .

Joe

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Joe,

""" I figured it never happens to anyone else so"""

That's the clue it's not an Alpha issue. I guess I don't see the difference between a browse or a form as far as raw data is concerned.

"""I do all my work in the browse mode Oh my, pardon me but, how boring, slow and tedious! If you used a form with an embedded browse, your work will go much faster.

kenn

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

Joe,

Without getting to deep in things (it's late), there is as I understand it certain problems with browses both embedded and regular. I believe that alpa is very well aware of the various problems with browses and is working on fixing the problems. I think it may involve a complete re write of the browse code, but don't quote me on that.

Many posts to this board describe various problems with browses and how people have gotten around them. I have run into various oddities when dealing with embedded browses and with hel and suggestions posted here, have managed to get stable embedded browses. One thing that seems to greatly help is to pack the table(s) involved. The deleted records (even 1) can make a browse act really odd.

Phil

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Good advice Phil. It's my understanding V6 will have browses that are completely redone. Don't quote me on this but I believe the properties will be much like a form's properties and you will be able to click on the top of a column to sort, etc.

kenn