Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

alpha 5 software problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alpha 5 software problem

Hi
    I have had this problem every since alpha was first realeased. I figured out how to work around but though I would take time to report.

(1) If you change to an index but the resulting seach has no records then you can not get out of that index untill you save a record based on the index you had selected. Example index for record where count is 5. no records found. you will have to save the blank record to have a 5 in the count field just so you can choose one of your other indexes. then erase the unwanted saved record.

(2) When editing a record in the browse mode the delete key will not always work. But you can get ahead of the value you want to delete and backspace it away.

(3) The (Ctrl + V)copy paste feature works very difficult. You must hold it down a long time to actually paste and then if not careful it will paste multiple times.

I though these things might get fixed with updates but I have all the updates and this still how to make it work.

Just thought you would like to know.

Joe

RE: alpha 5 software problem

Joe,

Not sure I understand the issue. If you've had this problem since Alpha was first released (back in the DOS days?), why didn't you say something sooner?

"""Example index for record where count is 5. no records found""" I suspect you've got something not wired quite right. How can the record count show 5 when there are no records?

"""When editing a record in the browse mode the delete key will not always work.""" Are you sure there are no other issues affecting this? Why do you go to a browse mode to edit a record? What's wrong with usisng the form? That said, I have not only had problems with the delete key but other keys as well. In everyinstance, there was a 'popup commercial' hiding behind a form or whatever. The problem wasn't Alpha.

"""The (Ctrl + V)copy paste feature works very difficult"""
    Huh? Ctrl+V only pastes, it doesn't copy, Ctrl+C is the copy command.

I really don't think this is an alpha problem or others would have mentioned it years ago.

Do these same problems occur in AlphaSports as well? Do you have the latest build? Do you perform a database compact on a regular basis?

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken
      Sorry I didn't say anything sooner. I had figure out the work around and just got busy.

If you have Database, If you have index, If you choose index and there are no records which match index. Then alpha 5 gets locked into a browse showing blank record and will not let you select a different index until you save a lest one record that satisfy the index. It is no problem if you can remember which index you are in. Example saving a record with 5 in your field called count will now satisfy the index matching all records with the count of five. I use indexes to seperate which records show in the browers then run reports which print off those records.

I do all my work in the browse mode. I never used the raw data. Both Ctrl + C & Ctrl + V work with difficulty. Then sometimes after you have used Ctrl + C then Ctrl + V will take you to the first record in the database. I have learned how to work around these things. I figured it never happens to anyone else so .

Joe

Comment

Joe,

""" I figured it never happens to anyone else so"""

That's the clue it's not an Alpha issue. I guess I don't see the difference between a browse or a form as far as raw data is concerned.

"""I do all my work in the browse mode Oh my, pardon me but, how boring, slow and tedious! If you used a form with an embedded browse, your work will go much faster.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Joe,

Without getting to deep in things (it's late), there is as I understand it certain problems with browses both embedded and regular. I believe that alpa is very well aware of the various problems with browses and is working on fixing the problems. I think it may involve a complete re write of the browse code, but don't quote me on that.

Many posts to this board describe various problems with browses and how people have gotten around them. I have run into various oddities when dealing with embedded browses and with hel and suggestions posted here, have managed to get stable embedded browses. One thing that seems to greatly help is to pack the table(s) involved. The deleted records (even 1) can make a browse act really odd.

Phil

Comment

Good advice Phil. It's my understanding V6 will have browses that are completely redone. Don't quote me on this but I believe the properties will be much like a form's properties and you will be able to click on the top of a column to sort, etc.

kenn

Comment

Working...
            X