Alpha Video Training

Thread: Huge .alm file

Real Name
    Richard James

Default Huge .alm file

When I attempt to compact and backup my database, my .alm file grows from about 16meg to over 1gig, and everything on my computer gets very slow. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: Huge .alm file

Try a search using growing files or the like. This was a problem w/v4.5 but thought v5 addressed the issue.

kenn

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello Dick,

You have a corrupt memo field file. This is unusual with the *.alm which is the database library memo file. You can create a new blank database of the same name in a different location, then add in all the tables, scripts, and global operations. Or you could try to copy the *.alm and *.alb to a different location, rename the files *.alm to *.fpt, and *.alb to *.dbf. Now you can use the 'traditional' methods to recover memo fields in a table setting. If you do a search on "corrupt memo fields", you will find quite a bit of info.

Good luck,
    Jim

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Or you can bring back the files from backup prior to the corruption. Usually a database compact shows this problem, and is why many do periodic backups and compacts.

To test if a backup is OK, restore and then compact. If the .alm file doesn't grow to gigantic size, you're probably OK. Don't forget to delete the really large file, empty your trash and defrag your drive.

Real Name
    Richard James

Jim -- I am new to Alpha Five, so I'm not understanding completely your suggestion. In order to recover from the expanded *.alm database, I copied the *.alm file from a backup copy into my current database. Seems to work fine, but if I compact it, it will again get big & bring the computer to a virtual halt.

In my database, I had only one memo file, so I changed it to be a character file. I also deleted a table of Paste Errors which contained memo fields. I don't know what this table is, but the database seems to work fine without it. However, after these changes, I still had the same problem when I compacted the database. The *.alm file grows to over 1 gig, and the computer runs extremely slow, presumably because it is trying to read this file when the database starts up.

I looked at the *.alm file using "type" in the DOS prompt, and aside from some data at the beginning, the file appears to be empty -- at least nothing displays.

If you are suggesting copying the files to a different location, where do you propose I move them? If they have been moved to another location, then why rename them? What do you mean by 'traditional methods' to recover memo fields? Is there a database integrity checker akin to the repair database utility in Access?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

-- Dick James

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello Dick,

The *.alm, along with the *.alb, is the library file for the database. The library holds global scripts, functions, and some saved operations. The *.alm is the memo field file of the library. Something is corrupted or a pointer is invalid.

There are several approaches to solving this problem. If your database is fairly simple, it might be easy to just create a new empty database of the same name in a different location. Now you have a new clean *.alb and *.alm. To transfer your scripts, on the code tab, under the 'Code' menu choice you will find the ability to export all your scirpts and functions into a text file. Now you can use this text file to import all the scripts and functions into the new empty database. Most of the operations are stored in the individual table data dictionaries, but you might have some that are stored in the library.

Now that you have a new clean database, make a copy of your current database for safety, then copy the new *.alm and *.alb from your new database to the location of your old database, over writing the old files.

The other approach is copy the *.alm and *.alb to a seperate location and rename the file something like this:
    *.alm to test.fpt, and *.alb to test.dbf. Now goto any working database in Alpha Five, from the tables/sets tab right click and choose to Add Table/Set, and add the newly renamed Test.dbf. There is a multitude of things you can do now, but the quick simple thing to try is to use Alpha's built-in memo_check method; "tbl".memo_check(), and let it try to fix your problem. After a successful fix, rename the copied files back to their origional name and copy them back over the working database.........

Or....

Just post the two files here and I or someone will fix them for you. It is quick to fix them than to try to write out all the different potential approaches.

Good luck,
    Jim

Real Name
    Richard James

Jim --

Thank you! Thank you! I followed your instructions, and the *.alm file went from 16meg to less than 1K. The *.alb file was already less than 1K, and it remains that way. I suspect neither of these files contained much of anything, but there was evidently corruption in the *.alm file. I've compacted the database several times, and it seems to work just fine.

Can I now just delete (using Windows Explorer) the folder that contained the new database?

Again, thank you for your help.

-- Dick

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello Dick,

Glad it worked for you.

""Can I now just delete (using Windows Explorer) the folder that contained the new database?""

You have my permission, delete away :-)

Jim

Real Name
    Terry Morgan

Default Re: Huge .alm file

I have tried both of your suggestions, but still have unstable global scripts, after having added a 100 or so over the past couple of weeks.
    Are you still happy to have a look if I post them here (a request almost 14 years after you post I know!

Thanks
    Terry

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Huge .alm file

Terry,
    I believe Jim has retired. Hope not speaking out of turn here.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46