Alpha Video Training

Thread: Converting Paradox memo fields

Real Name
    Bruce Cavenaile

Default Converting Paradox memo fields

There was a posting back in December 2003 (Brad Porter)regarding a memo field that would NOT convert for use in A5V5. I have run into the same problem and I have also stumbled onto a solution.

I am in the process of converting my data files and application from Paradox 4.5 (for DOS) into A5V5 and was using the export utility in Paradox to create dBase IV files (that is the latest file version offered by this old version of Paradox).

The memo field in the exported DBF files was garbage. However, when I changed the export format back to dBase III, the DBF memo field was 100% intact when viewed in A5V5.

Can anyone tell me if A5V5 will have any problems with the older dBase file format???

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default RE: Converting Paradox memo fields

Bruce

I've usually found that a5v5 will convert the format, if not right away, at least when a structural change is made.

See if it has done that, other wise make a minor change and see what happens. (backup backup backup.....)

Real Name
    Bruce Cavenaile

Al

I just tried "Edit Structure" on a few of my larger tables and no error messages resulted so it looks like I'll be o.k. using the older dBase file format.

I'm still using my Paradox application as my production system while I'm getting acquainted with A5V5. When I'm finally ready to sever my Paradox umbilical cord I'll make sure to carry out a restructure for every table in addition to re-building the indexes as has already been suggested.

Bruce

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Bruce

I'd look to see if the files were modified by looking at the windows datetimestamp.

I'd also do a report or operation that reads all the records. Might be a good place to open the field rules and re evaluate field rules to see if anything invalid comes up. Like unexpected values - characters in numeric fields.....

Also I won't move any files back and forth between Alpha 5 and my production Paradox. One way is enough work, let alone both ways.

Do you have any memo fields in Paradox? Is the file extension .fpt or something else?

Just items to watch.

Sounds like fun!

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Writing just a little fast today.

Memo fields.. duh

What is the extension that paradox uses?

Real Name
    Bruce Cavenaile

Al

This version of Paradox carries the memo field in a separate file with a matching table name and extension of .MB which is then exported to a .DBT file.

Once I get a little further into this process I will be able to check on any impact to the field rules, layouts, etc before making my final leap out of Paradox, e.g. if some problems appear I can still do a fresh export in dBase IV format for all tables EXCEPT the one or two that have memo fields and send those over in dBase III format.

I am going VERY slowly at this because I want to be fully comfortable in A5V5 with a functional application BEFORE I trashcan the Paradox program.

Bruce