Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

30 lost files...ned HELP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 lost files...ned HELP.

Hello,
    I've compared my list of an applications files with that of a customer's, and find the customer's application is missing 30 files. Gees, at first I thought it'd just be a couple, and a fluke. But there is something serious going on with their app that totally stumps me, as this is the 2nd time "weirdness" crept in.

The first time, some of the files were renamed. I did a re-install, tested, and it worked very well.

The customer used the database, took a 2 week break, came back and the app wouldn't work. She sent me a list of the files in which 30 are missing.

I'm wondering a few things:

Could a spyware or virus scan be identifying the files as suspicious? (And an IT spec unfamiliar with Alpha's filing structure is simply deleting them.)

Could there be a spyware or virus that would do this? Well, yes, there COULD - but does it sound like anything you've ever heard of - lately, especially?

If I go back and do another re-install, is there a way to hide the entire folder?

The first time around I suspected power surges/failures to be wrecking the app - or that a jr. hacker was playing around (the app is in a room where high schoolers have access to the computer that it is on). The IT bought a beefier surge protector, AND password protected the computer.

This is my "star" client, as well, who really wants to use the app!

Thank you,
    Wanda

RE: 30 lost files...ned HELP.

Wanda,
    Is there any pattern as to which file types are being deleted? My suspicion is that an overzelous IT person is removing files that they think are suspect. Give IT a list of file types to be left alone. Have those types excluded from any scan or protection. Be sure to have a complete backup of all your files.

Let us know...

TOM

Comment

I too think human intervention is afoot.

Comment

Hi Tom,
        No, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason in the names or extensions of the missing files. I'm actually in communication with the IT person and have made that suggestion, although he hasn't answered back, yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Some of the files are missing in "groups" (alphabetical), such as 3 out of 5 that begin with A_Family_Center_Help, and 2 out of 5 that begin with A_Menus_System, and 3 out of 8 that begin with Classes (.sem, .set, .sex). Then there's random other files, some with .muf, .dll, .dbf, .ddx, .fpt, .alx, .ddd, .aex, and oddly, the water_tile.jpg.

So strange...so very strange...
        Wanda

Comment

That is definitely my hunch, as well. Any tips on how to convince the customer? Doesn't it just sound like I'm trying to dodge "fixing" the application? (The IT person may not be that skilled at his job, which is way out in the boonies in a little town named "Boonville". No kidding! It's hard to find skilled and knowledgeable staff in such remote areas...even here with a population of 30,000+- it's hard to find many with skills in computers.)

Thank you,
          Wanda

Comment

If there is someone ther who is randomly browsing and deleting, HIDE THEM. Create a folder with the a "$" following the folder name: c:\myfolder$ This will make it a hidden folder, and unless you give people specific permission to view hidden folders, they will not see it on a normal browse of the system. All you would need ot do is to make sure that all of your shortcuts and lookups, etc. see the folder.

Tom

Comment

Wanda,

I can hardly believe an IT-professional would be so stupid to remove files he does not know where they are used for.
              A good system administrator even would know what exactly runs on his network and what filetypes are used.
              If they would be suspicious to him, he could also place them into quarantaine.

If he does, it would be time to remove him from duty and send him back to school to get some follow-up education.
              In that case he is damaging his own systems and company.

As said, I can hardly believe it, though experience learns almost anything is possible.

My guess is something else is wrong.
              A virus is ofcourse always a possibility, even when anti-virus programms are installed. No anti-virus programm gets a 100% score. Try -in close harmony with our IT-man- to run a anti-virus utility of your own on the total system.

I guess you will not have created any feature for the user to delete files ?

This is really strange.

Best luck,

Marcel

Comment

Wanda,

To prove whether or not a human is responsible for this, you might want to check out http://www.winwhatwhere.com. They have computer monitoring software which can report on files being deleted etc. Although it's a bit expensive, they offer a free download.

Just my 2 cents.
                --Michael

Comment

And, actually, for Wanda's purposes, such a thing wouldn't be too difficult to construct. (I don't know the product in quesiton, I'm just thinking she doesn't need a full system monitoring just to identify when some files are being deleted.)

Of course, =anything= is probably overkill. The files are being deleted, and by a human. They need to adjust their internal security (or Wanda needs to do it for them).

Comment

...She sent me a list of the files in which 30 are missing...

I take it you sent her a list of your files, she made the comparison, elminated her file names from your list and sent the ramining to you?

Ha! don't think for one minute that someone in IT would not be resonsible. Everyone who has access to her computer, be it at her keyboard or visa the internet, IS a suspect until eliminated. Right now, IT is not eliminated just because they're IT.

Who all uses her computer? Is it passwoed protected? Who all knows her password? There should only be 2 types of people who have access to her computer, your user and IT. Supervisors do not fall into these catagories.

Depending on what security Mendo uses, it is possible someone is gaining access via another computer.

Think about this, who (and again all are suspect until eliminated) wants to sink your ship? It may even be someone who siles at you and pats you on the back. Not trying to make you paranoid but ya can't eliminate suspects just because you believe they wouldn't do it. To prove this, answer this question: How many people commit a crime and you never thought they would? How many people cheat on their taxes?

OK, enough said.

kenn
                    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Wow - thank you everyone for your thoughts! I've been away for two days, so couldn't respond earlier.

The IT person, Jim, indicates they use Norton Antivirus and no spyware, and that he seriously doubts if a Jr. Hacker is getting in.

Isn't it odd, though, that apparently no other files are simply coming up missing or renamed? I will try to get clarification on this, but I think it would have come out, by now.

I'm going back out to re-install, and have asked Jim to observe so that he can re-install the next time it happens. I stated that it probably will happen again and again until the problem is found and corrected.

I'll keep you posted on further developments. Thanks, again!
                      Wanda

Comment

Wanda:

I have been following this thread with great interest. I would suggest one other tact.

After you re-install the appliation on the client site. Ask her to go through the procedures uses from the start of the day to the end of the day. You may be able to spot the cause of the problem.

You may identify another procedure that is being run on the computer or you may see a piece of code run in your application that was there for "testing".

I hope this helps.

bob adler

Comment

Hi Bob,
                          Yes, I intend on sitting with Loretta as she goes through each feature...will post anything I notice as strange.
                          Thx!
                          Wanda

Comment

Now I'm REALLY SCARED!!!

In a report that I run in Alpha about once every 6 weeks, some of the field rules are missing - not all - but some of the calculated field rules aren't there anymore...

Now that the plot sickens, what are your ideas?

I'm totally stumped.

Thank you!
                            Wanda

Comment

Wanda,

Something just hit me: ask the system administrator of the network to do a search on the files over the network, let him see if he can find the missing files elsewhere on the network.

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Working...
                              X