Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

network issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network issues

Hi all,

I have a network app. which are accessed by 3 users at a time ( or supposed to)
    I created shadow databases on the user pc's. But as soon as I want to access the app. on the server, I get the following errors:
    Access denied, cannot write to "acfrtf.txt" , acfhtml, .muf - cannot open.

The server OS is WIN XP PRO, and the other 2 pc's are WIN XP HOME. Also, the folder on the server is fully shared, with my app.files.
    Also have the same folder names on the users pc's.

I copied the shadow database from the server to the users pc's.

Any ideas why this happens?
    Thanks
    walter

RE: network issues

Walter,
    the Shadow copy of the database should never be on the Server. Instead the shadow copy of the database should be created on the local workstation by 'network optimizing' the actual database located on the server. If you really copied the shadow copy of the database from the server then something's wrong. -- tom

Comment

Sorry Tom,

I've been running a shadowed database on our server for 3 years without a glitch. I've just made sure that only the run-time version is installed on the server and acts like every other user (workstation).

--Bob

Comment

Tom,

Should I actually access the master app. from the user pc, and when it is open, create the shadow from the user pc ? All my apps up to now was stand alone apps, I am lost !

Comment

Bob,

For most users this would be an invitation to disaster. The risk of network optimizing the shadow on top of the actual is too large. I congratulate you that you've not had a problem.

I'm curious, do your users run the app by starting the runtime engine on the server? i.e. are they sharing the one runtime engine? If so, you've set up your application in an unconventional way.

In the typical setup each workstation runs the engine locally, opening shadow copies of the database also stored locally. This minimizes traffic over the network, and thereby speeds performance.

Comment

Walter,

the problem you describe may or may not be related to how you've created the shadow databases.

1) Have you installed the runtime engine on each workstation?
            2) Does each user have administrator / power user rights?

-- tom

Comment

Hello Tom,

No, the runtime is only on the server

All the users have admin rights.

Comment

Well, unless you're running Citrix or Terminal Services then you may have it setup wrong.

Here's the step by step:

1) Designate a machine on your network to act as 'server'. This should be a machine that doesn't crash. Preferably it should be a machine that isn't used by end users to do office work during the day.

2) Create a shared folder on the 'server' and copy your entire application there. This is usually the entire database you've developed on another machine. Hopefully you already followed the recommended advice and developed the entire application within a single folder, without using subfolders. If so, just copy the folder contents to their new home in the shared folder on the server.

3) Unless you need to run Alpha Five on the 'server' machine there's no reason to install Alpha Five there whatsoever. Most recommend doing development work on an entirely different machine, in a non-shared folder.

4) Install the Runtime Engine on each workstation.

5) Visit each workstation. Crank up the Runtime Engine. When you get the grey screen choose File, then OPen Database, and browse to the shared folder on the 'server'. Open your database.

6) Navigate to the control panel. Choose file, then Network Optimize. Accept all defaults. This will create a shadow copy of the application / database on the workstation.

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 on the other two workstations.

Shut down the runtime engine.

I suggest you let Alpha Five create shortcuts to the shadowed databases on each workstation. Put them on the desktop for each workstation. Tell the users to start the app using the shortcuts.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

I do everything you suggest and agree completely. But I've set up a user on the server using the run-time engine.

I wasn't "going" to do this, but I thought... "Since I'm going to be on-site for a while, I'll give it a try."

It turned out that the machine is solid as a rock and they now have 2 or 3 different Alpha programs running at one time (and an accounting server program) on this server with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Zip, Nada.

--Bob

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I'm guilty of having exaggerated things a bit. Probably should never say 'never', right?

I recall Dr. Wayne saying that in his office the 'server' is (or was at the time) in daily use as a regular workstation, too.

For the average bear, considering how relatively inexpensive pc's have become, and how much trouble is caused if the main database is overwritten accidentally, or crashes when then pc reboots, I think the better 'general' advice is otherwise.

-- tom

Comment

Hello Tom,

Like so many times before now, thank you for the advice, I will try this today.

Have a nice day
                      Walter

Comment

Tom,

I've always set up machines to access a mapped drive (e.g. x: ) which represents c:\MyMasterpiece on the server.

All users get to the data (using the run-time program)though X: (including the user on the server) so there is NO possiblity of overwriting the main data, because the shadow database files are likely located at: C:\Program Files\A5V5Runtime\shadow\MyMasterpiece or something similar.

-Bob

Comment

Bob, I'm glad you mentioned the mapping of the shared folder on the server as the 'same' logical drive on all machines using the application. This should have been included in my step by step. Thanks.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                          X