Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pace Manuals and Alpha Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Pace Manuals and Alpha Community

Robert, I agree with you -- the question is where is such a book to come from. If you build it will they come?

Russ

Comment

Excellent Idea. I assume you will now be inundated with new material. Open the floodgates...

Russ

Comment

Thank you :)

Right now I'm (ugh) searching for a good book on learning Access...or even a cd tutorial.

So far I've found tutorials/books that are too basic, and tutorials that are too complex...hardly anything in the middle.

It's all putting me to sleep.........snor..........

Wanda

Comment

Robert,
          There is such a book that you have just described. It is called "Database Design for Mere Mortals" second edition, by Michael J. Hernandez. This book was recommended to me by someone on this messageboard. It does not cover any special program, but it does cover relational database design fundamentals.

You can purchase the book at Books-A-Million or Barns & Noble. Cost is $50.00

Gerald

Comment

Hello Gerald and Dr. Modi

Gerald, I haven�t personally read it, but several people have recommend that book in the past, and there appears to be an overall consensus that it is indeed an excellent choice.

I just returned from a business trip, so I wasn't available to read and/or respond to some of the messages in this thread. I was amazed by the comments of the good doctor. He referred to me as venomous and he also painted a description of me as someone with a superiority complex, trying to discourage people new to database design and Alpha Five.

I have no idea how or why he came to those erroneous conclusions, but they are pretty far from reality. I, and many others, visit this forum to learn and help others. We give freely of our valuable time and experience. Why would I want to discourage, or in any way describe or think of people new to database design as being inferior? Doctor, I don't understand why you feel that way, but please refer to the hundreds of times I've offered help to people on this forum and maybe you will come to a different conclusion?

If A5 users don't understand what they're doing and they�re headed down a path towards failure, would you want me to pretend they're doing well or keep quiet? Or do you think I, and others, should point out they are making a serious error or a series of mistakes?

I'll use one of your medical analogies. If you were observing a doctor treating a patient, who clearly misdiagnosed the illness and then prescribed a treatment that would compound the medical problem, would you keep quiet or would you speak up and in an effort to help the patient and/or prevent the other physician from making matters worse?

If you kept quiet, I would not respect you as a doctor. If you stood up and pointed out the doctor misdiagnosed the problem, I would think you were doing the right thing. I would not accuse of you of fostering a superior attitude and looking down at other physicians.

Anyway, I think your conclusions are way off base and I resent them. There is nothing more precious than honesty and speaking the truth. This is how people learn from their mistakes and actually make progress. I frequently visit this forum because my goal [like many others], is to help people.

Robert T

Comment

Hi everybody and Robert
              My God !! This thread has gone way ahead. Robert, I apologize for any hurt feelings. Probably you come in such a big way that I get scary. Anyway, it is also my fault to have taken things too personally.You are a senior and a respected member of alpha community and I have admired your work and you know it. I have recently bought the book Database Design for Mere Mortals" from Amazon.com, as u had suggested.

Alpha five is a huge program and I have yet to pick up the threads here. But like u said, the concept of database design itself is an art and the rationale and approach has its own learning curve. Just as the science of medicine cannot be taught, but can only be learnt and beyond knowing medicine, the art of treating a patient is an altogether different thing itself, database design is itself a science . Like any other science, this also cannot only be learnt by reading manuals, nothing supersedes learning than practical training under people of repute. This is where this wonderful forum comes in.

Sincerely,
              Dr Alok Modi MD

Comment

Hi Alok,

I admit I was laughing when I read your last message.
                You did understand !
                That is not as obvious as it sounds, when you read the different messages in this thread.
                That takes you further then some others in this thread.

No need anymore now to keep on hitting this subject.
                You understood clearly that this is a craft.
                A craft that CAN be learned by starters too, but, obviously, not by anyone. It takes certain basic skills and talents.
                By the way, skills and talents I must conclude from everything I know about you now, that you have.
                In my opinion, you could succeed. And you will.
                Not anyone can become a doctor either. That also takes certain basic skills and talents.
                My wild guess here is, that some of those skills and talents are equal to the ones needed for mastering our profession. Like the patience Call was correctly talking about.

It is good to have these discussions. All of us learn from it. I hope that by some in this thread also is learned that you can not master this craft from only a book.
                It can be a great help though.
                Better is, if you want to do it right, to start with the basic education and skills. The road is longer, the result will be sweeter.

Kind regards and greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Working...
                X