Alpha Video Training

Thread: 2003 Conference

Jeannette Cook

Default 2003 Conference

We are in the EARLY planning stages for the next Alpha Conference.

TIME: Late March, Early April 2003

I am currently looking for presentation and discussion topics, as well as, general feedback on last year's conference (sorry, having joined Alpha in June 2002, I missed all previous praise and discussions for last year's conference.)

As we fervently try to prepare new products for release, please respond to this enquiry directly. Please do not send inquiries or comments to Selwyn or Richard directly.

If there is something you would like re-directed to SR or RR (not posted within this forum) you may send me an email (jcook@alphasoftware.com) and I'll see that it gets directed as instructed.

Your posts will be monitored by Selwyn and Richard. We appreciate all of your comments and hope to make the upcoming Conference a success!

-Jeannette
    jcook@alphasoftware.com

Real Name
    Robert Gowan

Default RE: 2003 Conference

Good news!! The last two were great. There are so many very knowledgeable Alpha developers that are also great presenters. Both conferences had a good range of material - I liked the two-track approach (business applications and serious professional developers) at the second. The time available for smaller specialty sessions was very useful. And Selwyns demos of (then) unreleased version 5 were spell-binding. It sounds like the Alpha team has lots for up their sleeve for the next conference.

You can read my review of the last one on page 7 & 8 of the Ottawa PC News
    http://opcug.ca/public/Articles/0205.pdf

There was also a review in one of the early Alpha Five newsletters.

Can't wait to hear more details.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Thomas Patten

As a developer of an application I need more education in: Marketing, Design - from an eye catching and appealing using interface perspective, and Remote support options.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the last two conferences and look forward to this one. I'll be there.

Tom

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Louisiana will have at least one representative. The two previous conferences were outstanding and hopefully this one will be equal of better than the first two.

Dave

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

How about a short presentation on using .aex files? If there are 2 'tracks' again like last time, this would probably be more suited to the advanced/developer track.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Presentation idea:

What is xdialog for?
    That is when should one use xdialog and when should you just use a dialog form.

Bill

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Expanding on this: Using dialog forms and X-dialog. How to program; how to use.

John Guy

16 Dec. 2002

Jeannette,

Suggestions:
    1. Please do not do this confernece during "tax time".
    2. The more advance notice, the better.

Will this conference be for current users, or will you focus on marketing to non-users who may interested in using Alpha?

Will this conference be during the week, or on the weekend?

Thanks a million,
    JG
    Houston, TX
    281-579-4546

Jeannette Cook

John:

Traditionally, conferences are a 3-day weekend...usually only consuming one work day of the week, Friday being the preference.

My advice: get your taxes done early...tentative dates: April 10th-13th with pre-conference TRAINING April 8 & Thurs, April 9th.

Training is focused towards the new Alpha User. Training will be at the Beginner level. Our thoughts on training prior to the conference, is to market to and empower the new user with the knowledge and confidence to attend the event with more advanced developers.

NOTE TO ALL: Discussion and posting is moving to A5v5 Forum.

-Jeannette

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

I wonder if JG is a CPA? If so, that's the worst time of the year for him.

kenn

John Guy

16 Dec. 2002

Ken,

Thank you for your observation. Yes, I am a Certified Public Accountant from the great state of Texas. Of course some people think that "CPA" means "Certified pain in the A**".

For the sake of clarity, in my opinion, Alpha is a great program for accountants. However, I think Alpha is missing the boat by not marketing more strongly to them. (None of my accounting friends have heard of Alpha prior to me telling about them. Yes, I do have more than two friends.) More-ever, I think that there could be a lot of Quicken users who fit in the same category as crunch time on the 15th of April. For many accountants, this is a total stressed out week and it takes a week to recover. As such, if Alpha is remotely interested in this potential market, then they should walk in these people shoes and feel the rubber band tightening and the stupid last minute excuses by their clients. I am sure if a tax accountant has to make a choice between a paying client and Alpha, you can be sure Alpha will be the LAST choice.

Furthermore, CPA's are required to have forty hours of Continuing Education for the state of Texas. Most other states have this same requirement. As such, we are always looking for "qualified" classes where we can rack up our forty hours. Companies like the one I work for, are "willing" to pay for taking these required classes. Paying for a trip, which does not meet this requirement, are good candidates for trash can waste material.

For the sake of clarity, I got out of the rat race of preparing tax returns. I do only mine, and please do not ask me any tax advice.

Have a nice day,
    JG
    Houston, TX
    281-579-4546

Jeannette Cook

Please move all additional discussions to the A5v5 Forum.

Jeffrey Wolfe

Isn't that where I am?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Nope. This is announcements.
    Bill