Alpha Video Training

Thread: Scripting Puzzle

Tim Madison

Default Scripting Puzzle

I'm a new user obviously. I'm using the Script Genie and trying to execute a Branch Command. It asks for a 'Value in a current form or browse". However, I get the error message "Alpha Five does not know what form's objects to list."

I've tried to correct this by the 'intuitive' method since the help system does not explain it. This means I have opened said database, opened it in browse form, opened it in form view, and tried to access the scripting feature through the Field Rules/Events tab. All of these manuevers resulted in the same error message. Its frustrating to be so competent at making all the wrong moves. It would be helpful if the error message would give a clue. It actually does give a clue but its an irrelevant to my purposes.

The Help features look interesting and informative but somehow they don't explain how to get started. My head hurts.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Scripting Puzzle

Tim,

Perhaps the branching action script is not configured completely?

How about zipping up your database and attaching it to a reply here ? If you tell us where to look (i.e. which script, and which action statement) perhaps we can get you going again.

-- tom

Tim Madison

Thanks for answering Tom. But there really aren't any scripts to look at in my file. I can't seem to get one to accept instructions. All I have are some small tables I've created.

My original goal was to just do some auto-navigating. Big deal, eh? If the Logic Field was Y, then move the cursor to "A" field. If it was N, then move the cursor to the "B" field and so forth to help with data input chores. I'm not even sure if scripting is the way to accomplish this. But here is where I ended up after perusing the Help pages over and over looking for references to 'Navigation' and 'Data Entry Techniques" that just don't exist. Is there a refernce book out there? I need 'Alpha 5 For Dummies' because I seem to get stuck doing the simplest maneuvers.

Thanks again for answering.

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Tim,

The choice is yours when Tom offers to help by you putting your app on the board.

A logical field will not have a value (unless by default in field rules) untill it is saved. Therefore you will not be able to navigate on a form the way you have in mind.

My suggestion from what you are describing might be achieved with conditional fields.

I hope this has given you another point of view.

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
    London.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

In addition to Keith's ideas, one could use the OnDepart event for each field object in the form to run a script that would:

1) check the mode of the form
    2) if a change or enter is pending
    3) shift focus to a field other than the next in tab order

-- tom