Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

field to store web page link & to store doc pa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

field to store web page link & to store doc pa

Am sure I have done this before but I cannot remember how.

I want to have a form with fields that can be used to store

1 - a URL which when clicked on opens the web page

2 - a path to say a Word doc which when clicked opens the doc, spreadsheet etc. For this I would also like a means to open a windows file browser and click on the doc required so it can be saved in the field.

Trying form field type URL and file select fails as the URL or doc path is not saved...

Any bright ideas?

RE: field to store web page link & to store do

John
    Do your fields have enough characters to hold a complete URL or Path?

from my brief testing the form field types you mention have a button at the right hand end of the field that either

1. goes to the url contained in the field

2.A. If the field is blank opens a normal file browser and inserts the complete path for the file selected.

2.B. If the field contains a path it opens the files browser for the path selected. The File can either be opened in usual windows fashion or you can browse to another file to select which will replace the original.

Colin

Comment

John

Correction to 2.B.

If the field contains a path it opens the files browser for the path selected. The File can opened by using the right click.If you select another file (Left Click) you will replace the original. If you don't select either the original or a new file the field becomes empty.

Haven't experimented with browses and 'On row double click'

Colin

Comment

Thanks

I soon realised that with file select field property clicking on the field content did nothing. Clicking on the icon at the end of the field simply opened the file browser, so I added a button to open a non-Alpha file and pointed it to the field content.

Strangely the URL field behaves differently and you can click on it to open the web page.

So problem solved but I must admit rather clunky compared to MS Access! Perhaps A5v6 is better in this area...

Comment

John
          I trust you have put a script on the button so that it points to the file in that particular record ??

Just checking

Colin

Comment

Hi John,

For the answer to number 1. It is very easy. Drag the field with the web address onto the form. Right click on the field, choose properties, under the set-up tab, choose field type. Push the drop down arrow, scroll to the bottom and choose URL.

Click okay, save your work and your are done.

put your cursor in that field and a button will appear on the right of the field. Push the button and up comes the web page to the address in the field.

Couldn't be easier.

Dan
            Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Maybe I am being dumb but why a script?

I want the user to select the file from the popup browser then save record so next time they can click on a button to open that file/path contained in the field.

Comment

Sorry John I may be going a little mad.
                I made the assumption that you might have attaced a specific file to a button so resulting in that one file opening regardless of the file select. In other words the button should contain a variable to point to the file selected for the current record.

Colin

Comment

I am going mad - or blind.

to quote you earlier relpy ".....so I added a button to open a non-Alpha file and pointed it to the field content"

Nuff said.

( I believe my abberations are often referred to as Senior Moments ! ! ! )

Comment

Working...
                  X