Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with expression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with expression...

Hi all,

Here I go again with what should be a simple expression. I need to do a lookup on a table based on (in excel terms) the "row" as the length of a log and the "column" based on the width of a log. In the Board Foot field, I am using a lookup, but in order for this to work I have to convert the fieldname of the table to a number (the same number as the width). The fieldname is an S followed by the width, for example, S24 is a log 24" wide.
    (Tally is the table name)

How do I write the expression?

I have tried
    field("tally",convert_type(ltrim(str("s")width),"n")","tally","diam")

Thanks,

Robin

RE: Problem with expression...

Robin

I'm confused.

Why convert a fieldname? this would be like trying to convert a column 'name' in a spread sheet.

In a database we'd use the fieldname in a lookup sequence to find the right record (row). Then we'd convert the value in the field in that row. Even though I'm imaginatively challenged I can't think of a reason to convert the fieldname.

-- tom

Comment

In your case

we'd find the 'row' value, and then retrieve the 'column' value that's sitting in the correct field in that record.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks, Tom

But I don't know the column I need until the width (column) until it is entered by the user.

That is the problem. That was why I was using a fieldname that could be the same as the width or could be convert to a number. I have even tried the other way to convert the width to the fieldname by adding an "s' to the beginning, and using that as the column to search for.

Am I confused or is there another way?

Robin

Comment

Robin,

Your approach seems to be this:

1) find the row, using a length key.
          2) then search horizontally along the row until you find the desired width, perhaps using a search key that is tied to the fieldname.

If I've got it right, I recommend you think vertically instead. I'd arrange the rows so that there is only one unique combination of length and width for each row. This will increase the number of rows, but a 'vertical' search to find the desired combination will be virtually instantaneous if the length / width combination is indexed.

-- tom

Comment

I'm sorry. I don't understand.

How do I tell the computer that I want it to search at the intersection of this row and that column, when the column name (fieldname) is character and the length is numeric?

How do I use an expression to automatically find this?

If I could have named the fields numerically, it would have been simple. I could tell the computer to lookup at the intersection of row 32 which is the diameter and the column 15 (the length of the tree).

Even if I did switch the rows and columns, I would still not be able to dynamically search for a specific column without manipulating the number into the fieldname of the column or manipulating the name of the field to a number.

Am I right?

Thanks for spending your Saturday answering my q's!! :-)

Robin

Comment

Is this what you want to do?
              There can be only one.

Comment

It looks great, let me try this with my own data and see if I have any more q's. Okay?

Thanks so much!!! (I have worked all day on this one expression) silly me, I should have contacted you all sooner, I guess!

Roibn ;)

Comment

Do I need to use variables? I would like to use fields that a user fills in on a form and it calculates the board feet using a table.

I am still having problems duplicating this.

Robin

Comment

"fields that a user fills in on a form"- please tell me more about what this means. I demonstrated a solution using variables whose values are set by filling in fields on a form.

Or better yet, zip up a sample of your database with the form in question and the lookup table, show me the fields you want the user to fill in, and I'll create the expression.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                    X