Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Status of alpha five version 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status of alpha five version 5.0

I have not been on the messageboard for quite some time
    and have noticed the number of questions regarding hold-ups
    on Alpha Five version 5.0 (which we had planned for Q2, but
    is still in beta).

The things that have been holding us up have been:

1) backward compatibility for prior apps.

Changes to xbasic, and changes to way toolbars and
    menus work have led to applications (largely written
    in xbasic) - not working in version 5.0. We need
    to make sure applications work the same way they
    worked in prior versions.

We have been getting lots of feedback from our beta
    testers who have found all sorts of backwards
    compatibility problems -- I feel that the worst
    backward-compatibility bugs have been fixed, so
    we are in pretty good shape here (though not 100%
    complete).

2) Yes - there is some feature creep

In fixing some of the bugs that have been around since
    the original port of A5 to Win32 (and to MFC) - back in
    version 2.0 - We found that the reason some of these bugs
    were not fixed is that they couldn't be fixed without a
    re-write. So these peices have been re-written. For
    example all the menus in the version 5.0 beta have been
    rewritten in xbasic - this allows use to fix a large
    number of menu problems (i.e. duplicating menu entries
    and missing menu items under the 'windows' menu - both
    of which occured under ). As a plus, we now have
    total control over a menus look & feel...

Re-writing the menus in xbasic has meant that we needed
    to be able to support automation of everything we can do
    from a menu from xbasic - so there have been lots of new
    xbasic methods added that should help folks who can hack
    xbasic to automate pretty much anything they do in
    alpha five.

The latest feature 'creep' has been the Toolbar rewrite,
    Toolbars for forms/browse and preview layouts are now
    written in xbasic as well -- this rewrite fixes the
    cosmetic problem of switching between maximized forms
    causing the toolbar at the top of the screen to
    dissappear and re-appear. (the BETA with the toolbar
    re-write is awaiting a fix Win95 repaint issue)

The latest xbasic language feature creep is support for
    an xbasic 'class' (the revised Alpha five Toolbar object
    is now written in xbasic as an xbasic class).

3. Performance

We have also had to deal with getting version 5.0 up
    to speed - i.e. since we added all of these features,
    we have needed a way to make loading xbasic scripts
    and functions really fast -- so we have created the
    concept of precompiled code libraries, which load
    about as quickly as a .DLL.

I think there is still some work here, and as much
    as we would like to make all repaints completely
    smooth & flicker free, I think that we won't solve
    all the repaint issues till version 6.0.

I cannot make any promises as to Release date, but
    I am comfortable that the remaining problems & issues
    are easier to solve then those we have needed to
    deal with up to the beggining of Q3 (I don't foresee
    any major rewrites of subsystems - which we was doing
    frantically during Q2 when we missed our target).

RE: Status of alpha five version 5.0

Excellent Status Report Cian, thanks. I'll have my stocking hung on the Mantle with care with hopes Selwyn & Cian will soon be there.

-Barry

Comment

I'll put out the cookies and milk. Or, should it be something stronger?

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Cian,
        Your status report is much appreciated. Even though many of us are very impatient (including me), your response gives me great faith in Alpha. Thanks again.
        Peter
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

many thanks to Alpha software for being meticulous in not bowing to consumer pressure by releasing software full of bugs (unlike Microsoft, who seems to delight in being able to sell a new version to fix the bugs they left in the previous one!) - we're impatient but had much rather wait for a nearly bug-free ap than have to endure crashes and multiple "patches" and patches to patches.

Keep up the good work!

bob henderson

Comment

Thanks for the report Cian. Much appreciated. By all means, take the time you need to get it right.

- Steve
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Cian,

Those of us who use DLL's and the API directly to make Alpha jump through hoops are chomping at the bit, waiting to use version 5 and it's new xbasic language. It sounds as if there is nothing it can't do. [grin]

Regards,
              -Bob
              Seriously...If you need another beta tester:
              [email protected]

Comment

Hello, Cian.

My 2 cents' worth: As far as I can tell, the latest beta build of v5 is completely backward compatible with v4. I can't make it crash or even whine on any v4-compatible application.
                There are also very few problems with the new v5 features, nearly all of which are working as they should. The features that don't work for me on Win98 seem to work on Win2000, and I'm confident you will be able to fashion workarounds for Win98 and Win95.
                I know you have a certain amount of optimizing to do--v5 does load more slowly, and some features are slow just because there is a lot of Xbasic code to execute. Fortunately the main form-based data entry and report generation run just as fast as they always did.

There are so many wonderful new features of v5 that I'm almost sorry it is compatible with v4. It would be a treat to start in v5 without any preconceived notions of how best to do things from my v4 experience!

As an outside observer and user of the beta versions, it looks to me as though you have made a qualitative change in the past few weeks. v5 no longer behaves like a beta program and one no longer needs the patience of a zen master to work with it. Crashes during application development are rare and I have only been able to document one run-time bug during execution with the latest build. I congratulate you and the rest of your development team and I think you will have a final release sooner than we all thought possible just a few weeks ago.

I know that some people have also questioned whether there will be any 3rd-party books for v5. I can announce that I have finished a version 3 book on application development in v5. The book is totally new and does not include any chapters from either of my previous books on Alpha Five.

Comment

Peter,
                  When will you make the book available. I'd buy one now if you are ready to sell them.

Russ

Comment

Put me on your book list also.

Tom

Comment

The book will be sold by Alpha Software and barring unforeseen complications should be released in tandem with v5.

Comment

Cian,

Thank you very much for the informative update. I assure you, an honest status report to the user community is worth 10 times more than an ad that hypes someting that doesn't yet exist. We will all gladly wait patiently for the finished product, as long as we have progress reports.

You need not have mentioned V6, but now that you have, I'd like to offer a simple suggestion. Once you release a beta version, just make a monthly periodic status report available, so that everyone is aware of the snags. We don't expect fix dates, as we all know it is very hard to estimate those. However, by keeping everyone informed, it goes a long way to maintain confidence and loyalty with the user (and devloper) community.

regards,
                        Melvin

Comment

Hi Melvin,

Monthly status reports on any version are probably not practical for various reasons, mostly because the competition will be aware of what's happening.

I admit it woould be nice, but if I were developing V6, I wouldn't give monthly updates. I doubt the developers on this board would give monthly updates on the apps they are writing. I don't unless there is a particular client that NEEDS to know.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

It is a point well taken. However, I believe I mentioned that updates should only come after the product has gone Beta. In which case, you can bet the competition usally manages to find a copy (legal or not), besides which Alpha Software usually sends out flyers/ads/"but it now" at the same time, to all users specifically stating the new features. So I don't see the harm at that point.

Comment

Are we talking two different things here? I'm speaking of the product while it's in development stage.

kenn

Comment

Working...
                              X