Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

marketing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: marketing question

I find one of the most important advantages to Alpha is the Message Board. Numerous time I have been in need of some help on a particular programming problem, posted it on the message board, and had numerous answers within a very short time. Access does not provide this type of help, nor any other similar product as far as I know.

Comment

Two thoughts follow:

1. Build on your rapid appliation/ prototying power. If A5 could generate discrete visual basic or access code it could prove a spring board into the Microsoft world.

Around 1980 when most shops were IBM mainframe based, Wang Laboratories succeeded in installing their minicomputers in several shops who used the Wang machines to generate interactive COBOL applications much more rapidly than IBM's own hardware would permit. After development, the COBOL was loaded on the IBM from the Wang.

I happen to have started my database experience on A5 v.3 and was foolish enough to use the first Windows release.

A client forced me to learn Access (last year). Terribly frustrating, but after much effort, not unworkable. As you no doubt know, there are many similarities between these relational database products. ANd each has some plusses and minuses.

While I lack the technical expertise, I believe that the "brains" behind A5 could build a translator that would translate the X-Basic to Access. Then, I could have used A5 to generate screens, reports, perhaps tables and queries, and then "translate" the A5 X-Basic to Visual Basic/Access. It's my belief that in such a situation everyone would win.

My client would wind up with the security blanket feeling of a Microsoft Access application; the developer would be able to move forward much more rapidly by developing in A5; and AlphaSoftware would both sell more copies and infiltrate the Microsoft market via this backdoor Trojan horse approach.

2. Change your market mix. If most of your sales now are to individuals or networked users of say less than 10, keep that market intact but use a "give-away" to capture larger sites.

Offer an A5 "Enterprise" system with 25 to 100 (or even 1000) keys for an unbelievably low price - to new users. (Say the same as an A5 license for 10 users). Perhaps the excess keys would expire after 18 months. This would give the large shop a chance to develop - test - prove out, an A5 solution at low software cost. If it works as well as you know it will, they can convert their expiring keys to permanent ones for a fair upgrade price. If not, they can stay with or go back to Access (or its successor product).

Say that this giveaway got you into 100 large shops that you wouldn't have gotten into before. Now, with some leverage and large shop credibility, you could start to raise the price of the "Enterprise" version.

Good luck, and please do all that you can in your own way to give database users an alternative to MS Access.

Comment

marinas mostly require addon interest in doing daily business and alpha at this writing has no way to do that. addon to apr, future value and other functions for finance contracting is VERY limited.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

1, Home individuals ( address books etc)
          2, Small business that need a small to medium solution
          3, Microsoft Haters
          4, report writing for businesses with larger programs ( less expensive than Crystal reports )
          5, Programmers use Alpha to plan their larger projects ( alpha is faster setting up and planning )

I suggest:

1. Give or almost give it to the schools ( McDonalds made it with the kids that way)

2. BOOKS for documentation

3. Better financial functions ( I do weekly/biweekly/semimonthly payments, I work with add on rate and conversion to apr, I have varying days to first payment and sometimes have to charge interest by the day for that) try to do that with alpha. try a term of 36.3856 to get a payment

4. REAL network capability without license I have that in vb and NO royalties.

5. very few use .BMP files for pictures ( GIF and JPG )

6. There is no way to solidly lock a form size or have a small popup form on a full sized form. ( wanna really get into the programming world? get it so I dont have to use vb)

Hope you yake all this as constructive - - I will buy ver 5

Dave Mason

email me at [email protected]

Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
          X