Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Running total function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running total function

Hi Guys , another query:
    I know that running total function is designed for reports. i have been able to get it to function for forms as a calculated field. But can I make it work as a calculated field in the field rule in tables? I am not succeeding in the last three days.

I have 4 tables:
    1. a_OPD
    2.b_OPD
    3.a_IPD
    4.b_IPD.

1. Has fields which give charges collected from various hospitals on outpatient basis, for me.
    2. Has charges collected from various hospitals on outpatient basis for my wife
    3. same , but for indoor visits
    4. For my wife indoor visits.
    There are say 5 fields in each, each for each of the hospital. The topmostfield in each is the date field.
    The last field in each table is "Total collection for the day" which is easy because it is Hosp A+HospB+Hosp C+ HospD+ HospE.
    Now the 7th field I want in each table to be "Running total " for the month , so that it keeps adding the "Total collection for the day" daily, so at any given day, I can see the total sum so far.
    This is possible on a report , but reports don't have colors and stylesheets. Is there a way to give this "running total " function to the last field at the field rule level, so it can run as a layout form" WITHOUT XBASIC, as I am not conversan with XBasic?

Sincerely,
    Dr Alok Modi MD

RE: Running total function

Dr Modi,

Unless you need to see the total collections each day DURING the day I wouldn't store the calculated sum in each record. In other words, if you're tracking the 'running total' for each day after the fact, I wouldn't store it in the data table in the first place. There MIGHT be a reason to store it there if the mid-day total was relevant to your practice.

Ditto for the monthly totals. Unless the mid-month totals would impact how you practice I wouldn't store these figures in the table either.

In my work I've found it best to avoid complex calculations until they're needed. This reduces the load on the cpu, the network, and speeds overall performance. Your approach would place this load on the system each time a new record is entered. I wouldn't do it.

-- tom

Comment

Our totals aren't as elaborate as yours; however, if we want to know a midday total, we just preview the day report. That will give us the total so far in the day.

Like Tom says, if you try to do this on a form, you're creating a lot of overload on the program you really don't need. Regarding layouts, you can get pretty creative on a report regarding field layouts, etc.

Ohlen

Comment

The documentation has - "not intended for table level field rules" - specific prohibition against table field rules, why would you "in the last three days" keep trying for three days?

The run_total() for a record is fully dependent on the order in which the records are presented. How would a field rule be aware of that order?

I have not tried it, but it should be possible to add a field to your table to hold the running total, then run an update operation to populate the field, based on some given record order. This operation could be run as often as desired.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Make the seventh field "month_ttl" and the total for day to be "day_ttl"

The expression to use for the update operation is then

day_ttl + previous("month_ttl")

used to replace the value in the month_ttl field.
          There can be only one.

Comment

No This doesn't help me.

can u give me a Xbasic command to achieve this. By the way why alpha five has not designed total and running total at table level itself?
            Dr Alok Modi MD

Comment

"No This doesn't help me." - - Why not, what is wrong with the suggestion.

"can u give me a Xbasic command to achieve this." - - To achieve what? Do you mean the update operation or to compute the run_total()? - NO, there is no xbasic command to compute a run_total() outside of the bounds of where you can use run_total() itself.

"By the way why alpha five has not designed total and running total at table level itself? " - The run_total() for a record is fully dependent on the order in which the records are presented. How would a field rule be aware of that order?
              There can be only one.

Comment

Take a look at the tablesum function. You might be able to design a calculated field on the form with it that would do what you want. Tablesum will total a field in a table and can be filtered. If this would work, you could see the daily and monthly sum everytime you opened the form. Be aware that the calculation will take place everytime the form is opened and as the table grows in size, the filtered calculation will get slower as it deals with more and more records.

Comment

Working...
                X