Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

populating an embedded browse on a new record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

populating an embedded browse on a new record

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping this is simpler than I'm making it, as I'm new to Alpha Five. I am creating a database for my pediatric patients.

I'd like to use an embedded browse for each patient's vaccination record. Thus I see my patient info table (name, date of birth, patient ID) being the parent, linked to my vaccine record table by the patient ID (one patient to many vaccine records), I have made a set of the two tables and a form based on the set containing an embedded browse showing the vaccine record table information (vaccine type, date, etc).

It would be nice if the embedded browse for each patient had the vaccine type fields pre-filled to agree with the ordering commonly done on vaccination record forms (rather than a 24 deep popup list). There are about 24 required vaccines for kids. I have set up my vaccine record table so that there are 24 records listing all the required vaccine types. But when I embed this table as browse, the 24 records don't appear for new patients (only a browse with one empty record (but the correct fields)).

I've been looking at forum posts (but struggling with the correct search terms) and it seems that for a new patient (the parent table), the child table (the vaccine record table) is empty on creation. Is there an easy way to populate this empty browse (or am I doing something wrong that's causing the embedded browse on new patients to be empty?)

Thanks for any help/direction you can lend.

Chris

RE: populating an embedded browse on a new record

OK. It's a little hard to tell what the specific problem is from your description, but let's see if you've done the requisite parts:

1. You have a parent table (patient) and a child table (vaccines). Good.

2. You have the two tables linked in a set, let's say using Patient_ID. I think you've got this.

3. When you create a new patient record, you're creating 24 vaccination records to go along with it, for each of the common types? (Or just the fewer more common ones?)

4. When you create the vaccination records for the patient, did you remember to put the patient's ID into the vaccination record so that A5 knows which vaccinations link with which patient?

Comment

I would approach this a little differently. I would set up a field for each vaccination and title each field with the name of the vaccine (MMR_1, MMR_2, etc) and make each a date field. Then place each field on a subform which goes on your main form. Of course, since each child only gets each shot once, these could be folded into your demographic table...

Dave Volgas, MD
      David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,

The MD suggests you know of what you speak. :-) Let me think out loud on a few topics that stem from being a NON-medical DB guy:

How would you handle boosters? Aren't those variable? And would you keep a field for rarer vaccinations like anthrax?

The advantage of a parent-child relationship would come if there were a lot of variance in patient records (which may not occur if Chris is populating the child tables completely for each patient). Or if one didn't want to re-do the tables when vaccination practices changed (which may not be that common).

Another potential advantage would be if one wanted to keep track of various vaccine info. It's one thing to store a single date, and something else to want to link to, say, a manufacturer and lot number. That gets a lot harder if those are stored in the same table--but again, that's only relevant if you DO want to store more info. (I did work in a medical lab for a while, and those were the issues that came up there.)

I like the idea of using a sub-form to encapsulate a smaller view of the data; I suppose that's what they're generally used for, but I'd never thought of it.

Comment

Blake,

Sorry if my post is confusing.

Responding by number to your post:

1. Yes. Two tables.

2. Yes. Patient_ID from parent patient info table links to Patient_ID of child table (vaccine info)

3. At present I normally create a new patient record from another form (the patient info form). Neither creating a new patient from that form nor from the form that has the embedded browse for the vaccine records creates the desired 24 vaccine records to go along with the new patient--instead I get the empty browse.

4. The vaccination record table has a patient_ID field for each vaccine record, if that's what you mean. For the blank browse, A5 does proerly link to what I enter in the browse.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

what data do you want to store in those 24 vaccine records?
            David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,

I like the idea of naming the date_given field after the vaccine (so the field label gives you the vaccine type, but can I get 24 subforms on a form?

I've thought about putting the vaccine fields into the main patient info table, but if I need the requisite 7-8 fields per vaccine type in the table (e.g. MMR1_date, MMR1_lot, MMR1_manufacturer, MMR1_exp_date, MMR1_dose, MMR1_injection_site, MMR1_nurse_giving, MMR1_doc_ordering --yes, thanks to our medicolegal country, we must track everything), and the table gets big.

chris

Comment

David,

See my response to Blakes post above where I list the fields.

Chris

Comment

Perhaps you could share your table structure (not the patient data - don't want to offend the HIPPA gods). That would make it easier to help.
                  David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David
                    Would you like a zipped file or descriptions via this posting board?

No Hipaa regs here--I'm just using first names and mock dates.

Chris

Comment

either is fine ... just want to see the structure of your file
                      David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,

Here is the zip. shotsform is the form with the embedded browse. As you can see, the first patient record gets the predefined vaccine records and the new records get nothing unless I enter something in them.

Chris

Comment

This will involve a little XBasic. Give me a few minutes. In essence, what I'll do is run a macro which loads all 24 shots into your table every time a new patient is created.

back in a few.
                          dave
                          David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Christopher

Here's an example that changes a couple of things, but does most of what you want.

Since you sent a simple example, the changes I made are pretty obvious.

Nice job putting the example together.

Hope this helps.
                            Al Buchholz
                            Bookwood Systems, LTD
                            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Much more elegant than my solution .... thanks Al.

I enclosed my .zip just as an alternative.
                              David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X