Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha five books question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Alpha five books question

I DO NOT WANT second party books

I DO want alpha manuals

Dave mason

No confusion on this issue, You have been told repeatedly
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Richard:

One thing I would like to see is a feature the Visual Basic help file system has. When I am in the code editor, if my cursor is in a word that is Visual Basic related (a variable, event, command, method, etc.), pressing F1 brings up a help page for this word. This help page contains ALL of the relevant methods/properties/events etc. applicable for this word, and usually includes sample code and cross-references to other related topics. If you have access to any of the Visual Studio products, try it out.

I have been using Alpha4 since version 3 and consider it to be one of the two best programs I ever used in DOS. I tried Alpha5 version 3 but was completely bewildered. I am now using Alpha5 verion 4.5. The learning curve from A4V3 to A5V4 is VERY STEEP! It is even steeper than going from QuickBasic to Visual Basic.

I can't add anything to the comments about what the documentation should be. The documentation doesn't have to be printed (I'll print it out); just make it fantastic!

Charles

Comment

Does anyone know that Dr. Wayne updated
        his books for Alpha 5 version 4.5?
        I'm surprised this BBS is buzzing about it.

Can the 2 books and the on-line Adobe file
        be purchased as a package? Many developers
        want electronic and printed.

Comment

Richard,

I'm way behind the curve in catching up on the Message Board. Other issues at school have taken most of my time.

I've sent a note to you and Selwyn regarding what I feel in a need for a college level textbook on databaase development using either A4 or A5 OR both. Teaching computer science in a community college, I know that the the only database textbook are on MS A____s. Our students, and I suspect college students at lots of (if not all) other colleges, have never been exposed to any other database product beyond Access.

If you really, truely want to grow the number of Alpha users, I strongly suggest you all (Louisiana talk) think about exposing college students to, what I consider your outstanding product line. If students are exposed to Alpha in college and can see an alternative to Access, they will use it after graduation and YOU will reap the benefits of one hell of a large ever-expanding user base.

P.S. Thanks for A4V7. My order is going in tomorrow.

Dave Jampole
          Dave Jampole
          www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Dave

I would love to talk to you more about this.

Please call me at 800 451 1018 at your convenience -- I am there most of the time

Best Regards
            Richard Rabins
            [email protected]
            Richard Rabins
            Co Chairman
            Alpha Software

Comment

We have just purchased Alpha5, after using A4 in our rental business in Portugal for approx 8 years +. Got, and paid for all the updates. Knowing nothing about computors I realised we had to get computorized or add staff and still be less efficient. After adding computors I realised we had to have a program which worked or add staff, saw A4 advertised, bought it, and worked lots of hours- result: more efficiency and no extra staff, and no programers to pay or wait for.
              Now our old computor is failing and full. New one won't run A4, so now we have A5. With no documentation it is a pain, obviously the potential is there, but I honestly don�t know if I�m going to get it. I�ve printed out all the documentation on the CD, consider that kind of a cheating way of selling, but feel it is still nothing like the A4 books in concept, clarity, quality, ease of understanding, examples; etc.
              Even cars are sold with an instruction manual, even though the buttons are labled.
              Alpha is probably losing lots of customers with this approach, probably me too soon. Think of "ships and hapeth of tar".
              All the A4 versions had good books, why the change? Pls don�t say the enviroment, when I see all the six sets of telephone books sent to us each yr because we have 6 tel lines, and I can�t stop that happening!
              Good product, good service, why not finish the job.

Brian.

Comment

Appendices.

This would include, but not be limited to a complete list of reserved words. There are occasional warnings on this board that field names that are the same as A5 reserved words may cause unpredictable results, but when looking for a complete list of those words, they are nowhere to be found.

When looking for third party books on various subjects, I frequently turn to the back of books first to see how much useful information they've packed in there. Lack of decent appendices frequently lands a book back on the shelf without further consideration.

I find the A5 manuals a bit wanting in this area.

Comment

Brian! I don't think you should be using the announcements forum for your question. This forum should be used 0nly for
                  announcements from/by ALPHA. However, I will try to help you. I have used A4v1 to v7 over the years and also use A5V4.5. You say your old computer is full and not too good anymore. I would like to get in touch with you about your problem. How about E-Mail? Please send me an E-Mail. Please give me the oper system you are using, Windows 95,98, 2000,etc, and the Ver. of Alpha4 V4,V6,V7 etc. You should be able to continue using Alpha4 V? for many years to come, if that is what you want. But there are a few things you need to do. E-mail me at emandan01@aol. PS My wife is from Portugal (Azores).

Comment

Dan Earley again. Gave you wrong E-mail. Should be
                    [email protected]. Forgot the ".com" before.

Comment

Daniel,

I apologise and stand corrected. I read down the thread late last night (maybe after my brain switch-off time), and didn�t realise those approx 40+ responses were announcements by Alpha staff.
                      I only meant to respond to what I thought was a request by Alpha for suggestions by Alpha users; I guess I misunderstood.
                      I did not mean to ask questions, and should not have put my feelings about documentation policy as a question; and did not mean to make any questions about moving from A4 to A5, but don�t realise that I did.

I�ll get back on e-mail to you, as you suggest.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X