Alpha Video Training

Thread: A5 For Income

Al Weaver

Default A5 For Income

I've been messing around with A4 and A5 for a number of years, and am now considering getting serious. Assuming I was technically savvy, is there an ability out there to make an income with A5? Is there a need for custom database apps, and if so, how big a need (market) and is A5 the thing to do it with? What is in demand? Whabout Access or a programming language? I've picked up some comments on this BBS re the viability of Alpha products in the future... will it be around? Will M'soft trash it? I hope not. I'd really like to put A5 and me to work...for $$. Any answers, any length would be greatly appreciated

Thanx, Al W.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Default RE: A5 For Income

Al,
    I was one of the lucky 77 to attend last weekend's A5 conference in Burlington Mass. The new version 5 will blow away any other database and I can't believe Alpha would invest so much in this if they were going away. Also, there are lots of fine programmers making a living creating very complex applications using Alpha software. I think you have little to fear.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Alpha has been around a long time now. There have been many doomsdayers on this and other boards. It was very clear to me, and I'm sure to the other participants at last weekend's conference, Alpha has every intention of being around a long time to come. The owners, Selwyn & Richard Rabins are totally committed to their enterprise and apparently are beefing up their staff. AND, Version 5 is STUNNING!

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

I found my current niche, Hearing Aid Dealers, by getting on the phone and very simply calling every business in a certain geography, asking about their computer needs, etc. You have to make a lot of calls for every possible lead. Also, I have had some success making up packets about my program, screen shots with explanations, etc., and mailing to dealers in a certain geography.

Al Weaver

Martin--

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure getting my questions answered, and yours helps. Good reminder: you have to market the better mousetrap!

Al